AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: After The Election

Message 1 of 26

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

By the numbers again.

1.You find an article on line which you do not understand and think it applies. It does not. I gave you a clear answer which you do not understand. You can try all you want but you can not change fact, and I gave you fact.

2. Same as 1. You do not understand that either.

3. All you did was take what I told you and rephrase it. It looks like you do not understand either.

4. Now you are moving toward what I have told you on many subjects. Laws are made to be changed by how they are interpreted. I hope you keep that in mind and stop posting laws as something locked in. Keep up your study in this area as you might not need to find articles to support things.

5. If you know a subject you do not need a link. So go learn about Medicaid totally.

6. From a number of sources rather than one. Learn the total subject. 

7. I post fact and truth on this board, and yes you have been trying to stop me from doing that, but you never will.

=================================

You have given Absolutely Nothing to counter what my post with reputable links say. The Congressional Research Council, CNN, Medicaid.gov

You just say they are wrong according to you - no substantiating info - NONE, NADA

As far as this message board is concerned your post are just that . . . . Your post with NO substantiating back up - so they are just "The world as viewed by john258" and what he thinks are truths in his own mind.

It is what it is - 

Your post was dead wrong and the material you selected to support it in total was in error. I showed you that by what has taken place in the real world, but you have no understanding of the subject, just articles you find on the web. I do not need back up as what I post are true facts which anyone who knows the subject realizes. My world is the real world and not limited by the environment I live in. You can look forwarded to hearing from me whenever you post something that is not based on fact in the real world, and advice is being given that could be counter to a persons best intrist. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 26

@john258 wrote:

By the numbers again.

1.You find an article on line which you do not understand and think it applies. It does not. I gave you a clear answer which you do not understand. You can try all you want but you can not change fact, and I gave you fact.

3. All you did was take what I told you and rephrase it. It looks like you do not understand either.

4. Now you are moving toward what I have told you on many subjects. Laws are made to be changed by how they are interpreted. I hope you keep that in mind and stop posting laws as something locked in. Keep up your study in this area as you might not need to find articles to support things.

5. If you know a subject you do not need a link. So go learn about Medicaid totally.

7. I post fact and truth on this board, and yes you have been trying to stop me from doing that, but you never will.

=================================

You have given Absolutely Nothing to counter what my post with reputable links say. The Congressional Research Council, CNN, Medicaid.gov

You just say they are wrong according to you - no substantiating info - NONE, NADA

As far as this message board is concerned your post are just that . . . . Your post with NO substantiating back up - so they are just "The world as viewed by john258" and what he thinks are truths in his own mind.

It is what it is - 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 26

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

By the numbers:

1. There is a difference between trade treaties and tariffs. The President is re negotiating NAFTA which then has to go to Congress for approval. Tariffs are not treaties and only Congress can impose them. After 9/11 Congress would allow  the President if National Security was at risk to impose them. That is not the case here so the President has no authority  to impose them. A Dictator would and he is a Dictator.

Congressional Research Council 12/09/2016 - ALL ABOUT: Presidential Authority over Trade: Imposing T...

The United States Constitution gives Congress the power to impose and collect taxes, tariffs, duties, and the like, and to regulate international commerce.  While the Constitution gives the President authority to negotiate international agreements, it assigns him no specific power over international commerce and trade .Through legislation, however, Congress may delegate some of its power to the President, such as the power to modify tariffs under certain circumstances. Thus, because the President does not possess express constitutional authority to modify tariffs, he must find authority for tariff-related action in statute.

Congress’s delegations of tariff and other trade-related powers to the President through legislation have been worded in various ways. A non-exhaustive list of sample statutory provisions that delegate some authority to the President to take trade-related action shows that most provisions require that the President make some threshold finding or determination before he may take some circumscribed trade-related action to counteract his finding. More recent statutes frequently begin with the word “Whenever” to set out this threshold determination before delineating the specific authority given to the President. These delegations of power are usually accompanied by clearly defined conditions and frequently include time restrictions. When the President exercises powers over trade delegated to him by Congress, his actions might be challenged in court.

. . . . North American Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act § 201(b)(1)(1993):

“The President may proclaim —

(A) such modifications or continuation of any duty, (B) such modifications as the United States may agree to with Mexico or Canada regarding the staging of any duty treatment set forth in Annex 302.2 of the Agreement, (C) such continuation of duty-free or excise treatment, or (D) such additional duties, as the President determines to be necessary or appropriate to maintain the general level of reciprocal and mutually advantageous concessions with respect to Canada or Mexico provided for by the Agreement.”

This is another example of an Agreement-specific delegation that allows the President to act within the confines of the Agreement.

CNN money - 01/23/2017 - President Trump can levy tariffs without Congress

2. And for the most part they backed him in how he put the law into play. There is a big difference in how health care is handled with how most other things are. The far right wanted to kill health care for all and would stop at nothing. A lot of what they claimed was not true and the courts  told us that. That fight still goes on today and the far right is still trying to kill health care for all. In reading your posts on the subject it is easy to see you support killing it for all.

Does not have anything to do with that - various aspects of the PPACA had legal ruling that had to be accepted  - i.e.,  the SCOTUS ruled that the penalty for not having insurance was a tax and thus it could be affixed to the law as a tax.  A tax is levied by Congress but as we have seen recently it can also be rescinded by Congress.

3. I told you congress set the pay scale. looks like you are having a reading problem.

We weren't talking about the pay scale, we were talking about raises in their pay.

Congress sets the parameters for specific grades of federal employees pay scale - The President give any raises or not.  Congress can override the President on matters of raises or not.

4. Laws are interpreted and that can change quite a bit when you have a dishonest person doing the interpreting as we have one now. Why don't you ask Obama. As all good far right enablers you want to bring Obama into to it. Obama was honest, Trump is not. Obama was not a liar Trump is.

Laws are laws, they come from Congress -  rules are written to put the law in motion - The President or his Administration write the rules.  EO's (Executive orders) are official documents, numbered consecutively, through which the President of the United States manages the operations of the Federal Government. 

But no matter who the President might be, they cannot change law with EO's or rules.

5. Now you give a different definition for Medicaid. When I gave you the school crossing guard example you were telling a poster this was the way it had to work and you were using an article you found on the Web. Well now you prove what I was telling you. Stop using articles and learn a subject. You could have hurt the poster you were answering badly by the misinformation you were giving them. Glad to see you have now seen the errors of your ways.

I haven't changed the definition of Medicaid - states always make the specific rules as to how it works in that specific state,  Back up your claim against me with a link.  If I posted it what you said here - find it.

6. I get my information from learning a total subject not from finding articles on the Internet which cover only a small part of the subject that is just the opposite from where you get your information.

Where do you get the information to learn the "total subject " ?

7. The last part of your long nonsense reply is typical of an enabler. The one thing I do not do is give advice and hurt people because it is bad advice, and I do not have to pretend I know a subject. It looks like you really lost it in your last para. since you do not say anything that has a bearing on the subject. You do not understand this subject in any way shape or form.

Just trying to get you to learn the "total subject" on how to post on this message board.

Good bye

By the numbers again.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 26

@GailL1 wrote:

You let us know when President Trump changes a law all by himself - not just the functioning / logistical rules - the actual law.  Congress is the only body that can change a law.  Even if a SCOTUS ruling is in play - the law still has to be changed by Congress.

Social Security Administration - History - 1972 Social Security Amendments

The President is the CEO of (active) Federal Employees - he has the right to give them a raise or not - but that is a raise and not a COLA - Congress also has the right to override his decision in this increase in (work) pay..

COLA are only applicable to federal retirees, military, veterans and their dependents/survivors and Social Security Beneficiaries.  It is a formula based on a set Index - of which both have to be and have been approved by Congress, not the President.

There is NO rest of the story - except in your imagination.

Don't waste you breath with facts about COLAs - you only get gibberish about tariffs, stealing kids, and a school crossing guard in response. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 26

@john258 wrote:

By the numbers:

1. There is a difference between trade treaties and tariffs. The President is re negotiating NAFTA which then has to go to Congress for approval. Tariffs are not treaties and only Congress can impose them. After 9/11 Congress would allow  the President if National Security was at risk to impose them. That is not the case here so the President has no authority  to impose them. A Dictator would and he is a Dictator.

Congressional Research Council 12/09/2016 - ALL ABOUT: Presidential Authority over Trade: Imposing T...

The United States Constitution gives Congress the power to impose and collect taxes, tariffs, duties, and the like, and to regulate international commerce.  While the Constitution gives the President authority to negotiate international agreements, it assigns him no specific power over international commerce and trade .Through legislation, however, Congress may delegate some of its power to the President, such as the power to modify tariffs under certain circumstances. Thus, because the President does not possess express constitutional authority to modify tariffs, he must find authority for tariff-related action in statute.

Congress’s delegations of tariff and other trade-related powers to the President through legislation have been worded in various ways. A non-exhaustive list of sample statutory provisions that delegate some authority to the President to take trade-related action shows that most provisions require that the President make some threshold finding or determination before he may take some circumscribed trade-related action to counteract his finding. More recent statutes frequently begin with the word “Whenever” to set out this threshold determination before delineating the specific authority given to the President. These delegations of power are usually accompanied by clearly defined conditions and frequently include time restrictions. When the President exercises powers over trade delegated to him by Congress, his actions might be challenged in court.

. . . . North American Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act § 201(b)(1)(1993):

“The President may proclaim —

(A) such modifications or continuation of any duty, (B) such modifications as the United States may agree to with Mexico or Canada regarding the staging of any duty treatment set forth in Annex 302.2 of the Agreement, (C) such continuation of duty-free or excise treatment, or (D) such additional duties, as the President determines to be necessary or appropriate to maintain the general level of reciprocal and mutually advantageous concessions with respect to Canada or Mexico provided for by the Agreement.”

This is another example of an Agreement-specific delegation that allows the President to act within the confines of the Agreement.

CNN money - 01/23/2017 - President Trump can levy tariffs without Congress

2. And for the most part they backed him in how he put the law into play. There is a big difference in how health care is handled with how most other things are. The far right wanted to kill health care for all and would stop at nothing. A lot of what they claimed was not true and the courts  told us that. That fight still goes on today and the far right is still trying to kill health care for all. In reading your posts on the subject it is easy to see you support killing it for all.

Does not have anything to do with that - various aspects of the PPACA had legal ruling that had to be accepted  - i.e.,  the SCOTUS ruled that the penalty for not having insurance was a tax and thus it could be affixed to the law as a tax.  A tax is levied by Congress but as we have seen recently it can also be rescinded by Congress.

3. I told you congress set the pay scale. looks like you are having a reading problem.

We weren't talking about the pay scale, we were talking about raises in their pay.

Congress sets the parameters for specific grades of federal employees pay scale - The President give any raises or not.  Congress can override the President on matters of raises or not.

4. Laws are interpreted and that can change quite a bit when you have a dishonest person doing the interpreting as we have one now. Why don't you ask Obama. As all good far right enablers you want to bring Obama into to it. Obama was honest, Trump is not. Obama was not a liar Trump is.

Laws are laws, they come from Congress -  rules are written to put the law in motion - The President or his Administration write the rules.  EO's (Executive orders) are official documents, numbered consecutively, through which the President of the United States manages the operations of the Federal Government. 

But no matter who the President might be, they cannot change law with EO's or rules.

5. Now you give a different definition for Medicaid. When I gave you the school crossing guard example you were telling a poster this was the way it had to work and you were using an article you found on the Web. Well now you prove what I was telling you. Stop using articles and learn a subject. You could have hurt the poster you were answering badly by the misinformation you were giving them. Glad to see you have now seen the errors of your ways.

I haven't changed the definition of Medicaid - states always make the specific rules as to how it works in that specific state,  Back up your claim against me with a link.  If I posted it what you said here - find it.

6. I get my information from learning a total subject not from finding articles on the Internet which cover only a small part of the subject that is just the opposite from where you get your information.

Where do you get the information to learn the "total subject " ?

7. The last part of your long nonsense reply is typical of an enabler. The one thing I do not do is give advice and hurt people because it is bad advice, and I do not have to pretend I know a subject. It looks like you really lost it in your last para. since you do not say anything that has a bearing on the subject. You do not understand this subject in any way shape or form.

Just trying to get you to learn the "total subject" on how to post on this message board.

Good bye

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 26

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Here is where Dictator Trump changed the law. Tariffs. There is not threat to National Security yet he takes us into a Tariff war. Border Security. The laws have not changed yet Dictator Trump Steals kids from their parents to create fear. Dictator Trumps builds camps with 100,000 beds with out any     money from Congress. He hides it in the military Budget. The Tax cut law was based on rigged numbers. He does this every day. See how little you know on the subject. Congress approves the salaries of Govt. employees, the President people can manage the salaries in a given bracket. See how little you know on this subject. Colas are interpreted and can be changed by that. Just about all programs are subject to that. It is like the school crossing guard paid for by Medicaid. See how little you know on this subject.

There is a big rest of the story. The rest of the story is one should learn a subject before they post, not just find an article they think fits. That is when a person uses their imagination in a way  to hurt people. I have to use my imagination to figure out what is correct in posts based on that and post truth.

-----------------------------------------------

President Trump hasn't changed any laws - the President is in charge of running the government.  It is his job to negotiate or re-negotiate Treaties including trade treaties.

He is also in charge of National Security - including our immigration policies as defined by the laws on the books.  Interpretations do vary as to how the workability of any law is put into play.  That's why the Courts always have a say in how this rule making and interpretation goes.  

Remember Obamacare - The PPACA is the law of the land but the way any Administration puts it into play by the rules is up to interpretation and that's where the Courts come into play and did several times.

Congress may set the pay range of Federal employees but the giving of raises in pay is up to the President but can be overridden by the Congress.

COLA is set in law by the 1972 Amendment to the Social Security Act and only Congress can change the law.  Congress is also the one that sets the basis for COLA - the formula and the index used.  

If it is the way you say - why didn't President Obama change it, increase it ?

Instead people went several years without one because the economic conditions created such slow growth that the formula and the index didn't warrant one.

MEDICAID is a state-federal program - Feds set the minimum - how they do it is up to the states.

Why didn't President Obama initiate the CPI-E giving seniors that index when figuring their COLA since it includes medical cost.

john258, I don't know where you get your information - guess TV doesn't cover everything.  Maybe you should watch more CSpan or NPR or PBS.  Or read a book.

Or talk to one of your experts and they can teach you how to read about the working of our government, specifically checks and balances.

Try reading the Government's DAILY Federsl Registry - the daily diary of the government.

At least learn how to post a topic here

At least learn how to edit post 

At least learn how to give a link to information or experts

Once again, living in LaLa land making up your own rules as to the workings of our branches of government.

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between a law and the rules to make the law work including who is in charge of implementing it, making it go or if the law needs some changes, the  party responsible for getting the law amended and then it has to go back to the rule making.

By the numbers:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 26

@john258 wrote:

Here is where Dictator Trump changed the law. Tariffs. There is not threat to National Security yet he takes us into a Tariff war. Border Security. The laws have not changed yet Dictator Trump Steals kids from their parents to create fear. Dictator Trumps builds camps with 100,000 beds with out any     money from Congress. He hides it in the military Budget. The Tax cut law was based on rigged numbers. He does this every day. See how little you know on the subject. Congress approves the salaries of Govt. employees, the President people can manage the salaries in a given bracket. See how little you know on this subject. Colas are interpreted and can be changed by that. Just about all programs are subject to that. It is like the school crossing guard paid for by Medicaid. See how little you know on this subject.

There is a big rest of the story. The rest of the story is one should learn a subject before they post, not just find an article they think fits. That is when a person uses their imagination in a way  to hurt people. I have to use my imagination to figure out what is correct in posts based on that and post truth.

-----------------------------------------------

President Trump hasn't changed any laws - the President is in charge of running the government.  It is his job to negotiate or re-negotiate Treaties including trade treaties.

He is also in charge of National Security - including our immigration policies as defined by the laws on the books.  Interpretations do vary as to how the workability of any law is put into play.  That's why the Courts always have a say in how this rule making and interpretation goes.  

Remember Obamacare - The PPACA is the law of the land but the way any Administration puts it into play by the rules is up to interpretation and that's where the Courts come into play and did several times.

Congress may set the pay range of Federal employees but the giving of raises in pay is up to the President but can be overridden by the Congress.

COLA is set in law by the 1972 Amendment to the Social Security Act and only Congress can change the law.  Congress is also the one that sets the basis for COLA - the formula and the index used.  

If it is the way you say - why didn't President Obama change it, increase it ?

Instead people went several years without one because the economic conditions created such slow growth that the formula and the index didn't warrant one.

MEDICAID is a state-federal program - Feds set the minimum - how they do it is up to the states.

Why didn't President Obama initiate the CPI-E giving seniors that index when figuring their COLA since it includes medical cost.

john258, I don't know where you get your information - guess TV doesn't cover everything.  Maybe you should watch more CSpan or NPR or PBS.  Or read a book.

Or talk to one of your experts and they can teach you how to read about the working of our government, specifically checks and balances.

Try reading the Government's DAILY Federsl Registry - the daily diary of the government.

At least learn how to post a topic here

At least learn how to edit post 

At least learn how to give a link to information or experts

Once again, living in LaLa land making up your own rules as to the workings of our branches of government.

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between a law and the rules to make the law work including who is in charge of implementing it, making it go or if the law needs some changes, the  party responsible for getting the law amended and then it has to go back to the rule making.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 26

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

One thing you over look again when you just post what you find in an article which can mean nothing. It is how the matter is interpreted. Dictator Trump will say no cola and it is gone. If he controls the SC there is no one to change that. Now if Dictator Trump does not control Congress or the courts then the COLA might survive. You have to give the full story and you can not and never will be able to do that on articles covering only part of a problem.

You let us know when President Trump changes a law all by himself - not just the functioning / logistical rules - the actual law.  Congress is the only body that can change a law.  Even if a SCOTUS ruling is in play - the law still has to be changed by Congress.

The President is the CEO of (active) Federal Employees - he has the right to give them a raise or not - but that is a raise and not a COLA - Congress also has the right to override his decision in this increase in (work) pay..

COLA are only applicable to federal retirees, military, veterans and their dependents/survivors and Social Security Beneficiaries.  It is a formula based on a set Index - of which both have to be and have been approved by Congress, not the President.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 26

@john258 wrote:

One thing you over look again when you just post what you find in an article which can mean nothing. It is how the matter is interpreted. Dictator Trump will say no cola and it is gone. If he controls the SC there is no one to change that. Now if Dictator Trump does not control Congress or the courts then the COLA might survive. You have to give the full story and you can not and never will be able to do that on articles covering only part of a problem.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 26

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

First off, Trump wants to ELIMINATE the COLA for Federal Retirees, and that's just because its easier for him to do than to freeze SS COLAs, for now.

Second, the COLA covers most inflation EXCEPT medical care, which for Seniors gets more significant every year, so any Sr who votes Republican is either not paying any attention to how their expenses are changing or figures they won't live long enough for it to become a problem.

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER.

then perhaps you'll avoid having your income shrink again in 2019.

I think perhaps you might need to tighten up your facts.

Federal News Radio - Retiree COLA likely to trump federal pay raise

Those who get COLA increases - Federal Retirees, Military, Veterans, SS beneficiaries - have law to back it up and thus NO President can change it - only Congress can.  That also includes any change to the CPI used for the basis of it.

Notice it says this at the reputable link provided concerning (active) Federal employees :

Pay for federal workers has little or no connection to the rise or fall of living costs.

Although the FEPCA pay law sets a process for regular annual catch-up-with-industry pay raises, Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama largely ignored it. Pay raises are set by the President. Congress has the power to raise or lower that amount.

After three years without a January federal pay raise President Obama authorized a 2.1 percent increase for both federal and military personnel in his last year in office.

The first pay raise proposed by President Trump was a 1.4 percent across-the-board adjustment for civilians with another 0.5 percent allocated for locality pay raises. Workers in high-private-sector wage cities like Washington, D.C., New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles got the maximum increases.

In his budget for 2019 President Trump has proposed a pay freeze. Some workers would continue to get within-grade (WIG) longevity raises worth approximately 3 percent. But there would be no across-the-board January adjustment unless Congress overrides the president.

. . . . Retirees on the other hand are almost certain to get a COLA-based adjustment. Retirees got 2 percent this year, 0.3 percent in 2017, zero in 2016, 1.7 percent in 2015. Their highest COLA—of 3.6 percent in January 2012—came after two years (2011 and 2010 )without any COLA. The year before that (in 2009) they got a 5.8 percent inflation adjustment.

Since our nation is led by President Trump, not Dictator Trump any opinion from one not aware of that can have very little if any value

I have seen no indications of COLAs being cancelled - has anyone?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors