Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Affordable Care Act

Message 41 of 63

@rk9152 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Medicaid has been offering health care to the poor for decades. Obamacare expanded the program and made it easier for states to implement the new expansion. But Medicaid was not a creation of Obamacare.

And had he just expanded medicaid as needed I would not have objected. But he rolled it all up into one big package.

What changed with Obamacare is the fact that millions of hard working Americans who couldn't qualify for and/or couldn't afford decent health insurance, can now get it.  100% of that insurance is provided by private companies via the free market.

Not the free market - a highly regulated market.  

The other major change coming from Obamacare was making Preventive Care free to the patient.

But not "free" so someone had to pay for it.

Anything you do not pay to acquire is "free" to you. Of course there is always a cost but this is another version of the "look over there" defense. Argue the semantics and not the point. Obamacare required that preventive care be provided at no out of pocket cost to the patient. This encouraged people to get that preventive care. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 63

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Medicaid has been offering health care to the poor for decades. Obamacare expanded the program and made it easier for states to implement the new expansion. But Medicaid was not a creation of Obamacare.

And had he just expanded medicaid as needed I would not have objected. But he rolled it all up into one big package.

What changed with Obamacare is the fact that millions of hard working Americans who couldn't qualify for and/or couldn't afford decent health insurance, can now get it.  100% of that insurance is provided by private companies via the free market.

Not the free market - a highly regulated market.  

The other major change coming from Obamacare was making Preventive Care free to the patient.

But not "free" so someone had to pay for it.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Affordable Care Act

Message 43 of 63

And let's not forget those with pre-existing conditions can no longer be denied health insurance.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 63

@pc6063 wrote:

RK--Richva is telling you that your philosophy could be carried over to these other areas of life, and don't these examples seem ridiculous? Cause they are, including the initial  assertion of why we shouldn't cost share.

The topic is Obamcare.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 63

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Might it be that "GOPertripe" is people who are required to pay for the needs of others are allowed to have their own systems that they pay for? If so - you betcha

I LOVE this GOP philosophy:

• No health insurance because that is cost sharing. You pay your own bills
  • No auto insurance, same reason.
  • No homeowner's insurance. Your house burns, your problem. 
  • No public schools. Pay for your own kid's education
  • No municipal street repairs. Fix your own street.
  • No city garbage collection. You threw it out, you take it to the dump. 

Yep.  I can see LOTS of wins with that philosophy.  

I have seen no examples of your extremist views. Could you please cite examples.

Insurance of any kind or the banding together to accomplish a common goal is defined by the sharing of risk (costs).  I was extending your post about having to pay for "their own systems".  Perhaps I misunderstood. 

"Banding together" is a good idea. But we are talking about some "banding together" financially to pay for the needs of others. My thought was to have a separate healthcare system for the poor and leaving the productive alone. Obamacare mixes everyone together.

Now back to those extremist views you posted - any examples you could cite??

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 63
Help me out here scout,
What do you they want to argue about? How many lose heath care? 10,20,30,million?
It would be millions of Trump voters and most of them think the ACA and Obamacare are two different things. Won’t they be surprised?
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 63

RK--Richva is telling you that your philosophy could be carried over to these other areas of life, and don't these examples seem ridiculous? Cause they are, including the initial  assertion of why we shouldn't cost share.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 63

@pc6063 wrote:

jt----I was listening to NPR on the way home from taking a pet to the vet.  Because of barking, I didn't hear the state that used an "invisible fund" to help those people put in high risk pools because of pre-existing conditions. It was called "invisible" because many of the people didn't know they were getting subsidies from the state, The amount put into this fund by the state used to lower premiums for these people was 18-19 billion per year. The program worked well and only went out of existance when ACA got rid of pre-existing conditions clauses in policies. That is the amount that Trump's plan has put forth for the entire US for ten years.

How anyone can ask how people are being denied care is incredulous.  looking at the list of pre-existing conditions, I would think one would be hard put to find many people who don't fall into that category. What this administration is doing, in all its glorious stupidity, is to create a problem ( bringing backpre-esixting conditions list), and then creating more of a problem, by underfunding it.  If one can't afford insurance, good health care is hard to come by. 

There are (2) states that already have an active high risk pool or reinsurance program -

Alaska and Minnesota, with Oklahoma not too far behind.

The money to fund these programs is coming from other sources than just what the Feds send.

Each state is free to develop its own funding mechanism.  In the case of Alaska, they assess a 2.7% tax on insurers and that is all insurers in all marketplace - the marketplace plans, employer provided plans, etc..

By holding down premium increases - it allows more people to be able to afford them - those that get subsidies but specifically those that don't.  Holding down premiums also helps the feds by keeping down the amount needed to give the subsidy because when premiums rise so do the subsidy payments.

VOX 04/13/2017 - How Alaska fixed Obamacare

There are tons of articles out there about how the whole thing came about, how it worked, how much it cost and who went into the pool; those with the highest health care cost and yes, many of the beneficiaries didn't even know it - just another entity picking up their expensive tab.

It worked and now other states want to try it cause things have to get stabilized fast and this seems like it will do the trick. 

KHN 04/25/2017 - HHS, States Move To Help Insurers Defray Costs Of Sickest Patients

I do not understand why people jump to the conclusion that when the Feds fund something that there is no responsibility for the states to bring in more funds to the (whatever) program.  States can tax and they can also make rules and regulations and monitor more closely if the program is working properly. 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 63

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Might it be that "GOPertripe" is people who are required to pay for the needs of others are allowed to have their own systems that they pay for? If so - you betcha

I have seen no examples of your extremist views. Could you please cite examples.

Insurance of any kind or the banding together to accomplish a common goal is defined by the sharing of risk (costs).  I was extending your post about having to pay for "their own systems".  Perhaps I misunderstood. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 63

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Kudos
Views