It’s open enrollment season for Affordable Care Act health insurance! Here are 11 things you need to know.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Acme Widget Corp.

Message 131 of 137

snoopy48-- I totally agree! Co-ops have worked well for years all over the country.  When one has "skin in the game," there is motivation to do well.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 137

@rk9152 wrote:

As I was saying…...there are those who see the ideal  industrial situation as composed of “workers’ co-ops” - no “bosses”, no Execs, no shareholders. In other words, no one gaining benefit from the work of the workers except the workers.

Let’s see how that would work. Let’s consider the “All American Widget Corp.”. It is a successful niche business provided a constant stream of products wanted by the consumer. It has 200 employees who are well paid but also has those other folks so the workers do not share the total profits, others take some. To have established the “workers’ paradise” the business would have had to start differently than it did with it's founder and investors. Back then, those 200 hundred workers would have had to get together and see the market for widgets and decide to form their co-op. Then they would have needed a factory. So, they would have had to find the needed group of about 75 construction workers of varying skills all banded together with no management. The builders would have to find non-corporate material providers and, for delivery, non-corporate truckers driving non-corporate trucks. Then, of course, the necessary machinery and raw material becomes an issue.

Well, two and a half years later, they are up and running and shipping their product off to independent (non-corporate) retailers. And all is well in the workers paradise.

Ya gotta wonder though, during those two and a half years how did they eat and put shoes on their children. And where did they get the money to pay for the factory construction, equipment and supplies?

people who dont understand how manufacturing works always wonder. The reason you wonder is because the example you offer isnt realistic. no one else thinks it is either.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 137

@Soosie wrote:
@rk952.......I can't resist. Someone actually understands. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Soosie

You mean understands your version of "crony capitalism", that if left unchecked will eventually destroy our country as we know it.  That is why Government needs to keep "leveling the playing field".

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 137
@rk952.......I can't resist. Someone actually understands. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 137

Why do you assume that the only way a person or group of people get involved in a business is through building it from scratch? What is wrong with a bunch of people getting together and purchasing an existing business and then continuing and improving that business as employee-owners?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 137

The issue is the average CEO whose pay is 335 times that of their workers.  They do deserve more, but 335 times is ridiculous.  The top of society are getting ahead at the determent of the average worker and, in the process, destroying the middle class.  That is the problem that needs to be solved.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Acme Widget Corp.

Message 137 of 137

As I was saying…...there are those who see the ideal  industrial situation as composed of “workers’ co-ops” - no “bosses”, no Execs, no shareholders. In other words, no one gaining benefit from the work of the workers except the workers.

Let’s see how that would work. Let’s consider the “All American Widget Corp.”. It is a successful niche business provided a constant stream of products wanted by the consumer. It has 200 employees who are well paid but also has those other folks so the workers do not share the total profits, others take some. To have established the “workers’ paradise” the business would have had to start differently than it did with it's founder and investors. Back then, those 200 hundred workers would have had to get together and see the market for widgets and decide to form their co-op. Then they would have needed a factory. So, they would have had to find the needed group of about 75 construction workers of varying skills all banded together with no management. The builders would have to find non-corporate material providers and, for delivery, non-corporate truckers driving non-corporate trucks. Then, of course, the necessary machinery and raw material becomes an issue.

Well, two and a half years later, they are up and running and shipping their product off to independent (non-corporate) retailers. And all is well in the workers paradise.

Ya gotta wonder though, during those two and a half years how did they eat and put shoes on their children. And where did they get the money to pay for the factory construction, equipment and supplies?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs