Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Abortion

Message 1 of 50

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

Not quite sure where you are going with this. It is a woman’s right to have the final decision. 

But even rk commented on preventative measures. The decision is yours, and it’s not the government or others right to interfere. Couples should consider

input from each other. 

But, instead of spending so much energy on the end result with an abortion, why not spend more effort on education, protection, birth control, and prevention? To assist in

not having to even make a choice to have abortion. 

Even rk commented on prevention vs termination. Big difference!

The topic has NOTHING at all to do with prevention!

Have you not seen it brought up by others? May I have your permission to respond to them?

You contributed nothing to their earlier points other than pat yourself on the back, so refocusing you to the topic itself appeared to be necessary.  So since you're asking me, my vote is "no!" Unless you actually have something to contribute to the topic other than self congratulatory nonsense.  But thanks for asking.....

You are right - that was off topic. However, based on your post and your "special" status, it seemed appropriate to ask your permission to respond to points raised by other posters. 

You are most welcome - but, while I have your vote, do I have your permission?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 50

Sticking with the original post & about when life begins, I found this piece intriguing as the writer suggests that "brain life" makes sense as a standard since "brain death" is often used to define human deaths:   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6708064

"Brain life" would result in a much earlier cut-off date - about 8 weeks of gestation - than our current "viability" standard but would be doable if the states were not allowed to interfere and delay a woman's right of choice.  Earlier is safer too and already the time frame of the majority of abortions.

Here's the key rationale for this standard; I especially like the discussion of our English language limitation regarding the meaning of the word: life.

• "The abortion question is inextricably linked to the notion of life, a concept whose meaning is ambiguous. Physicians interviewed in Senate hearings on "human life" denied any special knowledge and declared themselves unable to provide expert testimony on when life could be said to begin. It has since been suggested that "brain life," the emergence of a functioning brain, would be a logical time to demarcate the beginning of life in the same way that brain death has been accepted as a reasonable point to fix the time of death. A functioning brain emerges at about 8 weeks' gestation, and the fetus could be considered a living human being starting then. The present author argues that no exact point can be indicated as the boundary marker for life because what is involved is a sequence of developing processes. The initiation of brain activity is the most reasonable time at which to fix the start of life because it is among the options available and because of the connection of brain activity with the possibility of consciousness and what is believed valuable about life. The Greek language has 2 terms for life: zoe, which means being alive in a purely biological sense, and bios, which means having a life in the sense of being a subject of a certain life with its accompanying history, personal and social relationships, psychological characteristics, and other biographical facts. The moral rule protecting life is aimed at protecting bios rather than mere zoe. Until it has developed a brain capable of consciousness, the fetus's biography is not yet started, and there is no life (bios) of which fetus is the subject, although there are lives of which it is a part. A moral and legal code could be established which recommends that fetuses, once they have dveloped brains capable of consciousness, should be treated in a special way. Such a code would assume 1) that abortions prior to the development of a brain capable of consciousness are not morally objectionable, 2) that if there is to be an abortion after this stage it should be performed as early as possible, and 3) that reasons of increasing moral strength will be required to justify abortion as the fetus develops." 
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 50

@rker321 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

Sometimes not every point needs to be contested, and like I posted, maybe a little understanding is in order. 

I have tons of understanding. but unfortunately is the  men that actually  I hear the hardest on this issue either  for or against  terminations as if they think that they have  the right to make that   decision.

SInce most men on this board support the Females decisions about her body, maybe you could list who DOESNT.

I wasn't aware that the males in this message board represented the world and all the male species.

Though, the males on this board are the only ones your talking to....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 50

@MIseker wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

Sometimes not every point needs to be contested, and like I posted, maybe a little understanding is in order. 

I have tons of understanding. but unfortunately is the  men that actually  I hear the hardest on this issue either  for or against  terminations as if they think that they have  the right to make that   decision.

SInce most men on this board support the Females decisions about her body, maybe you could list who DOESNT.

I wasn't aware that the males in this message board represented the world and all the male species.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 50

@rker321 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 50

@rker321 wrote:

Many times in this message board I have stated, that I personally would not even consider the opinion of any male regarding the termination of a pregnancy.

I truly believe that they have nothing to contribute to this discussion.

I will hear and accept the opinion of any female whether they agree with terminations of not. but males. ?   sorry, I don't tell you when to get a vasectomy, or to wear rubbers, or to become celibate.

Therefore, males do not tell me or any women what will their decision should be regarding this issue. I still to this date will quote Laura Bush who in her book stated. "A termination of a pregnancy is the most intimate  decision that any woman will make in her lifetime"
Therefore, males, argue about whatever you wish, but not on this subject. you know nothing about females when it comes to this issue.

I agree to the extent its mostly a women issue, but male birth control is indeed a factor in reducing abortion, and even keeps a woman from having to make any agonizing decisions about her body. I would go along with a law requiring men to not be able to vote on this issue, but until that happens you need mine. I had a vas in 81.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 50

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

Not quite sure where you are going with this. It is a woman’s right to have the final decision. 

But even rk commented on preventative measures. The decision is yours, and it’s not the government or others right to interfere. Couples should consider

input from each other. 

But, instead of spending so much energy on the end result with an abortion, why not spend more effort on education, protection, birth control, and prevention? To assist in

Have you not seen it brought up by others? May I have your permission to respond to them?

You contributed nothing to their earlier points other than pat yourself on the back, so refocusing you to the topic itself appeared to be necessary.  So since you're asking me, my vote is "no!" Unless you actually have something to contribute to the topic other than self congratulatory nonsense.  But thanks for asking.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 50

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

input from each other. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 50

@rk9152 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

input from each other. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 50

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321

input from each other. 

Kudos
Views