Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Abortion

Message 41 of 106

@Indianrock wrote:

It's been a good discussion with a lot of give and take.  Sometimes this forum results in posts which don't even address the original post ( personal agenda, axe to grind, etc ) but that's pretty common.

I think the word compromise should be used more.  Unless you live under a King or dictator, nobody gets everything they want.  I believe the founders of the United States intended for it to be difficult to make changes and created the 3 branches of government to "check" eachother.   Quite often they negotiated and compromised, realizing that nobody gets 100% of what they want, but still achieving some results for the common good.

Unfortunately we're now seeing a lot of "my way or the highway," and " if you don't agree with me 100% you're the enemy or of the devil."

@Indianrock wrote:

It's been a good discussion with a lot of give and take.  Sometimes this forum results in posts which don't even address the original post ( personal agenda, axe to grind, etc ) but that's pretty common.

I think the word compromise should be used more.  Unless you live under a King or dictator, nobody gets everything they want.  I believe the founders of the United States intended for it to be difficult to make changes and created the 3 branches of government to "check" eachother.   Quite often they negotiated and compromised, realizing that nobody gets 100% of what they want, but still achieving some results for the common good.

Unfortunately we're now seeing a lot of "my way or the highway," and " if you don't agree with me 100% you're the enemy or of the devil."

@Indianrock wrote:

Sorry that you think that is may way or the highway. by the way, that is what I think about your posts.
I have said that I respect your views. do not try to change mine.  So, what is it going to be.?
Or are you here with the mission of "save the world"  from all of those women that "kill babies"?
Do yourself a favor, there are other very interesting thread that probably suit you more and a lot more interesting You are sure welcome in any of them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 106

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 106

@Indianrock wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Indianrock wrote:

Dare I mention the option of just not getting pregnant  ( when rape and incest were not an issue)?

Probably not

Shame on you, IndianRock!  Infringing on a woman's right to get knocked-up.... <smirk>

Do you really believe that's the intent?  Or are you aware enough to know it's usually an unintentional consequence?  I know quite a few "Christians" that still rely on the rhythm method.

Rhythm method was an old Catholic thing.  I've been a Christian, not all that conservative, but attending Bible-teaching churches for over 30 years and haven't heard anyone discourage birth control, at all.  zip

Of course the rhythim pethod don't work that is why most Catholics don't even bother with it. and yes Catholics do discourage birth control pills which as we know is not followed by many.
By the way, in case you didn't know. even with birth control pills and other methods of birth control  pregancies do occurr.  My middle daughter  is alive and well, and it was quite an unexpected pregnancy.
So, I do take issue, when anyone  starts speaking about the Bible. and trying to convince others regarding an issue. that like I have stated. not only is a female issue, but is an issue, that lies within the conscience of the female individual.

So, in the same manner that I respect your views, please do respect mine and stop trying to convince me or anyone that believes that it is  not a choice issue, 

So go and attend  your Bible class and enjoy it.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 106

@rker321 wrote:

@Indianrock wrote:

Dare I mention the option of just not getting pregnant  ( when rape and incest were not an issue)?

Probably not

As I have told you before, I do respect your views but don't agree with them. But, do you read history sometimes?

Go back to places like ancient Greece. and take a look at what  happened in those time. Ancient Rome and other societies way before Christianity even existed.
Perhaps you will find that termination of pregancies have always existed. nothing new. and there have been multitudes of manners in which women terminated their preganancies.
So, if abortions have been condemned after the birth of Christianity, isn't that sort of a modern  notion?

The romans and others also burned people at the stake and threw them to the lions, doesn't mean it was a good way to run society.  Abortion should be a last resort, not an alternative to common sense.

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 106

@Richva wrote:

@Indianrock wrote:

Probably not

Only if we want to talk about fairy wishes and magic hormone suppression potions.  Since the primary purpose of any organism is to exist and to procreate, I do not think there ever has been a successful adoption of "just say no" for more than a few members of society. 

Most people have a natural inclincation to eat food, so they work and save and don't spend all their money on booze or Ferrari's.  Thus they have money left over for food.   Avoiding sex because you're too young, too poor or already have ten children doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult unless you're too immature ( say under 16 ) to consider the consequences, too stupid ( 10% of society?) or you just think I can always get an abortion.  I can excuse the immature and stupid, but not that last category anymore than I can excuse drunk drivers.

Seems like "civilization" is protecting people too much from consequences.  When I was ten and poked the big bully on the block with a stick, I got a bloody nose and learned something.  Are we no longer learning such lessons?

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 106

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Indianrock wrote:

Probably not

Shame on you, IndianRock!  Infringing on a woman's right to get knocked-up.... <smirk>

Do you really believe that's the intent?  Or are you aware enough to know it's usually an unintentional consequence?  I know quite a few "Christians" that still rely on the rhythm method.

Rhythm method was an old Catholic thing.  I've been a Christian, not all that conservative, but attending Bible-teaching churches for over 30 years and haven't heard anyone discourage birth control, at all.  zip

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 106

@Indianrock wrote:

Probably not

Only if we want to talk about fairy wishes and magic hormone suppression potions.  Since the primary purpose of any organism is to exist and to procreate, I do not think there ever has been a successful adoption of "just say no" for more than a few members of society. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 106

@Indianrock wrote:

Probably not

As I have told you before, I do respect your views but don't agree with them. But, do you read history sometimes?

Go back to places like ancient Greece. and take a look at what  happened in those time. Ancient Rome and other societies way before Christianity even existed.
Perhaps you will find that termination of pregancies have always existed. nothing new. and there have been multitudes of manners in which women terminated their preganancies.
So, if abortions have been condemned after the birth of Christianity, isn't that sort of a modern  notion?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 106

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Indianrock wrote:

Probably not

How many - if any - current CCs approve of one of their flock - by use of a condom for instance - committing the "Sin of Onan" as a method of contraception?

What of herbal methods of contraception and abortifacients that predate the existence of the bible?

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 106

@Indianrock wrote:

Probably not

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors