AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Abortion

Message 101 of 106

@Indianrock wrote:
   But I'm really wondering what would things be like if Roe v Wade were overturned.  Surely abortions would continue, just illegally, and we've all heard the horror stories of "back-alley" abortions.

"We've come a long way, Baby . . . . ."

Today, we have so much access to various types of contraception with a high effective rate, morning after pill (over the counter availability), even a medication (RU486) to terminate an unwanted pregnacy up to 8-weeks, that actual surgical abortions for just the elimination of an unwanted pregnancy should be minimal in number if women are knowledgeable about their bodies and what is available.

All of this could easily handled via a woman's personal physician without government being involve - or anybody else - (well, anybody who is not already involved - like the father or the parents of a minor child).  Education can also be done by a personal physician or counterpart.

The problem comes in when money to pay for services is paid for by somebody else - that opens up them having a say in the process - same as any other medical need.

I believe in the right to choose - but not just for this type of service.  Overturning Row vs Wade, would not affect the choice one way or another if pregnancy was treated just like the personal nature of any medical need or procedure - at least not for those who are paying for their care even through private insurance.

When others get involve in our individual medical lives by paying for services, then they can make the rules of coverage.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 106

@Indianrock wrote:

Thanks for the reply... I think if I'm going to respond to my friends who seem to believe that we're actually having more deaths with legal abortions than what we used to have when abortion was illegal I'm going to have to have statistics and sources.

Here's the problem: When abortion was illegal, the compassionate authorities did not want to "defame" the dead woman by recording she died from a botched abortion, so the cause of death was given as "sepsis" (blood posioning).

What you should consider is if ANY death from a "back-alley" abortion is justified by the desire to protect the unborn from mothers who don't want or simply cannot afford them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 106

The abortion issue is a prime example of Conservatives refusing to accept responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

noeCons oppose birth control. They say women should eschew sex or buy OTC birth control, which has never worked, never will.

The only truly effective birth control requires a doctor's involvement, and a subsidy for the pills and devices the woman and her doctor deem appropriate is necessary in the case of poor women. But neoCons say that's socialized medicine and so far have made certain it doesn't happen everywhere they have the votes to do so.

Then we have the welfare of the pregnant woman. Again, neoCons seem to think the only Government support should be to sew a red A on all her clothes, which is why we have 300,000 live births where the mother's first contact with any medical personelle is the staff in the ER where she gives birth. That's also where we have 260,000 Low Birthweight Infants (LBI) or "preemies" with birthweight under a kilo. On average those LBIs cost the facility around $250,000 while the pre-natal, delivery and post-natal care of a healthy infant would cost from $18,000 to $50,000, average $30,000.

Routine pre-natal care would eliminate virtually all those "preemies", each of which cost the medical service provider from $100,000 to $2,000,000 (avg $250K) before the baby leaves the facility. Want to reduce our outlandish cost of care in America? Allow doctors and not politicians decide which lives SHOULD be saved instead of demanding they save everyone who CAN be saved, and do this at both ends ouf our lifespans.

Then we have the kid the mother never wanted. S/he will cost the family $14,000 every year from birth to age 18, ($250,000  total) if the child is healthy at birth, or ten times that if it's not.

At the same time, the numbers of both unplanned pregnancies and births among poor women have climbed steadily in recent years. About half of all pregnancies in this country are unplanned, with poor women now five times more likely than higher-income women to have an unplanned pregnancy, and six times more likely to have an unplanned birth, according to the Guttmacher Institute's recent analysis of government data.

Only about 40 percent of women who needed publicly funded family planning services between 2000 and 2008 got them, according to the Guttmacher Institute. During that same period, as employment levels and the number of employers offering health insurance went down, the number of women who needed these services increased by more than 1 million.

The bottom line is this: Republicans CLAIM to value LIFE, but what they do is insure the GOOD life stays out of reach to all but the very rich. Everybody else has to pick up the tab for the totally unnecessary billions we spend because of their decisions.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 106

Thanks for the reply... I think if I'm going to respond to my friends who seem to believe that we're actually having more deaths with legal abortions than what we used to have when abortion was illegal I'm going to have to have statistics and sources.

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 106

Most abortion related deaths of women are the result of infections from unsafe practices. Outlawing abortion will not have a major impact on the number of abortions but will result in an increase in women dying from an abortion.

The best ways to reduce the incidence of abortion are through better education and easier access to contraception. Those states that have provided the education and access have shown dramatic decreases.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Abortion

Message 106 of 106

Many of my Christian conservative friends seem to vote primarily on a candidate's stand on this issue, as if a single representative or even President can snap their fingers and make a change in abortion law.   In a recent conversation, one said that there are a large number of abortion-related deaths ( of women) even with legal abortions, which might tend to downplay the risks of overturning Roe v Wade and returning to the era of illegal abortions.

I'm wondering what the truth is here.  I hate the idea of abortion and think everything possible should be done to avoid it, including the willingness to have more taxes placed on me to subsidize adoption and things like child-care for women contemplating an abortion.   But I'm really wondering what would things be like if Roe v Wade were overturned.  Surely abortions would continue, just illegally, and we've all heard the horror stories of "back-alley" abortions.

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors