From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Abortion: Republican Hypocrites

Message 91 of 110

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Gail and Soosie, this thread isn't a philosophical debate on abortion, it's about HYPOCRISY. Let me ask both of you the same questions.

1. Do you believe there should be an exception for Rape Victims?

2. Do you believe it's hypocritcal to be anti-abortion and then offer no support for the health of children after they're born?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 110

Yes, women should know all the contraceptive methods that exist today, and many do. Unfortunately, you have a section of the population in which ignorance is prevalent.  and many barely know what to do and how to act.

I have already made myself very clear if anyone in my family finds themselves in this unfortunate situation. I will simply pay for them to go to any country to have a safe termination done by doctors and in a hospital.
As always it will be the poor  that will suffer  , in whatever happens.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 110

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
@gail1................Well written and thought out post.

I have trouble with the comments here about women who want control of their body, but seem to not have it when it is during the circumstances leading up to sex. I also wonder why this is such a hot topic amount seniors, especially senior men. I wish one of them could explain why they are so concerned with abortion.

Because they view women as human. 

As do many ""senior" men. Shocking, eh?

Referendum anyone?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 110

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

I have trouble with the comments here about women who want control of their body, but seem to not have it when it is during the circumstances leading up to sex. I also wonder why this is such a hot topic amount seniors, especially senior men. I wish one of them could explain why they are so concerned with abortion.

I think it is because it is just an issue that we bring out before every election to toss around and play with.

Like I said before, many people might not get into politics as many of us see politics here - but everybody has an opinion on abortion - thus they draw one of the lines in the sand.

This year since the SCOTUS has changed, these laws that states are passing are for getting the measure before the SCOTUS.

There was one that was debated today in chambers - Indiana.

You can pick your link from here - there are several -

Kaiser Health News - 05/16/2019 - Abortion Bill Designed To Challenge Roe V. Wade, But The Roberts C...

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 110

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Gail acts if we live in a perfect world. She needs to wake up and realize perfection is not realistic.

" Many emergency care facilities fail to provide EC to women who’ve been raped and some fail even to inform women seeking care after an assault that such a treatment is available.  According to a study by the ACLU, fewer than 40 percent of emergency care facilities in eight of eleven states surveyed provide EC on-site to rape victims.3   The failure of hospitals and other facilities treating rape victims to provide EC unacceptably leaves these women at risk of becoming pregnant as a result of assault."

I worked with a young, single mother, who was a wonderful, hard working lady. She was terrified because she received medical care for herself and her son from "Planned Parenthood". Maybe Gail didn't notice, but Republicans are defunding this valuable health resource for women. They are hypocrites.

No need for your opening insults, CriticalThinking -

I have lived in the real world for a very long time and pretty much know the lay of the land.

Women should know about Emergency contraception - they should know about it as soon as they reach maturity and can get pregnant.  If they go to an ER to report a rape, the police are gonna be called, a rape kit done, the ER doc, most likely in a Public Hospital, will offer her the EC.

Now if she goes to some religious-affilliated hospital, she may have to get her EC at the drug store down the street.  What's a little inconvenience for further anguish.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 110

@rker321 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

I consider abortion a medical issue that should be between a woman and her doctor.

Even if you consider any religious views - then it is between a woman and her God.

If women are to take control of their bodies - this begins way before a baby is growing.

However, we have come a long way since Roe vs Wade in science and there really is only few instances when a woman who does not want to be pregnant can't remedy the situation on her own.

• There are many forms of very reliable birth control methods for planning ahead.  From mechanical to chemical.
  • There is Emergency contraception, available to those who had sex and didn't plan ahead - Planc B is availble OTC, NO Rx, at a very low cost.  Plan B is also available to those who have been raped in the ER or if they don't go that route, again OTC; although I would hope that they do report it with the evidence still intact.

Both of these methods can be used before any heartbeat can be detected.

• Then, if those slip by for some reason,  there is also chemical or medicine abortions available with Rx and medical instructions taken very early in a pregnancy - course there does have to be validation that one is pregnant - but not by listening for a heartbeat at this stage.

If women want to take complete command over their bodies, as well, they should, doesn't that include also realizing the ramifications of the preemptive act and who is actually entering their bodies in the 1st place.

Yes, it is a normal act but one that should be planned for because of the possible repercussions - maybe we should legislate a "permission slip with a disclaimer" so that both of the parties are affirmed on not only the permission of the act but responsibility afterwards - money, time, trouble initially and even thereafter.

I find it amusing that all this debate about being the King or Queen over our own bodies when we (including legislators) act otherwise.  We don't even have the right to determine our own fate in advance by stipulation when our life is actually over and we want to end whatever remains.

Then, of course, there is the plea of who is going to pay - to me, that is all part of the whole.

Government, no matter the characteristics of legislators, want power over us - all parts of us if we let them - so if we need a "law" , Roe vs Wade may need an update, IMO.

To me, it still all comes back to people's thinking and rationing skills - many don't want to take the time or effort to to think pass immediate gratification and then procrastinate as to their immediate options. 

Until people begin to think and learn, take responsibility for their own lives, the ramifications and the choices they make, as a nation we will consatantly be having these same battles.

I will agree with practically everything that you have stated,  and in that case, what is the point in making terminations so difficult for the few that would still want one? Does it make any sense to you that women can take action in so many way, therefore why fight over something that we do have the solutions, why make it illegal?

If women handle it initially, there would be even far less -

I already said that abortion should be between a woman and her doctor and if religious, her God.

Just a bunch of legislator that want their way - all of these legislative changes are for one specific purpose - TO GET ROE VS WADE BEFORE THE SUPREME COURT, especially in its current makeup.  The Governor of Alabama stated this after she signed the legislation,

But that might just backfire on them - precedent has already been established.  Court-watchers aren't sure how likely the Supreme Court justices are to even take up the Alabama law once it works its way through the lower courts. Instead, the justices could chip away at the legality of abortion while avoiding a ruling that could negate Roe v. Wade.

Reuters: 05/15/2019 - Roe v. Wade at risk: key facts on legal challenges to U.S. abortion rights

There are other cases already pending at the high court that could give the conservative majority the opportunity to weaken Roe v. Wade.

LA Times - 05/15/2019 - Supreme Court is not eager to overturn Roe vs. Wade — at least not soon

The Indiana law is already being discussed in chambers -  Thursday - meaning TODAY.

The Supreme Court justices will meet behind closed doors Thursday morning and are expected to debate and discuss — for the 14th time — Indiana’s appeal of court rulings that have blocked a law to prohibit certain abortions.

We take out "ABORTION" every election to toss the ball around - a lot of people don't really get into politics - but everybody has an opinion on "ABORTION" so it kinda sets the stage for 2020 - ya know what I mean.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 110

@mickstuder 

Most ALL health insurance plans cover contraception.

Medicaid covers contraception.  In fact Medicaid also covers Emergency Contraception.

Many Medicaid programs even cover mechanical means of contraception like the new type IUD - some programs may charge some for this longterm method other zero.

Rape is about violence, not sex; it is a crime.  I am sure that there are close relationships where it can be rape and most likely other types of violence.  Here again it is up to the woman to report it and take action.  There is little anyone can do if she doesn't.  However, if she does not want a pregnancy to ensue and she has no current birth control method, the Plan B is available for little to no money.

We can go on and on about the What IFs and all kinds of special circumstances and consideration - but in the end, it is always left up to each woman to handle the situation the best way they can - or reap the consequences.  That's life - we all do it everyday for some reason.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 110

@Soosie wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 110

@williamb39198 wrote:

Men are concerned about the abortion issue. But the bigger issue is that of Women’s personal rights. Do some find it odd that some Men are saying, and have been saying to Women, that they are afforded the very same rights that we have and support you! We all have the same rights to make personal decisions!

Seem, williamb39198, women have been letting men off the hook for far too long.

Takes (2) to tango, so to speak - time to take on the other side of this dance.

Need help paying for that Emergency Contraception - where is the other party?

Need help pay for RU486 - where is the other party?

I like my permission slip idea -

I, ________, am willing accept the outcome responsibility, financial and otherwise, for having sex with __________ on this day of _________ 20 ____.  This may include, but not limited to, since none of these methods are 100% failsafe,  financial responsibility, planning and tranportation, moral support and any other related occurrence for:

• Immediate Emergency Contraception taken within 72 hours of the act
  • The Abortion Pill (RU-486) taken within (6) weeks of the act
  • An Abortion procedure done up to (20) weeks of the act in a state where it is approved
  • The cost of time off from work for the mother if pregnancy goes to full term.
  • The cost of labor and deliver, whatever the method or cost, including any out of network anesthesiologist
  • A lifetime of financial support for the child, all inculsive, including extended education.

Signed by both parties, dated and notorized. 

Thank You, Dad !

Image result for pics of smiley face

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Abortion: Republican Hypocrites

Message 100 of 110

Gail acts if we live in a perfect world. She needs to wake up and realize perfection is not realistic.

" Many emergency care facilities fail to provide EC to women who’ve been raped and some fail even to inform women seeking care after an assault that such a treatment is available.  According to a study by the ACLU, fewer than 40 percent of emergency care facilities in eight of eleven states surveyed provide EC on-site to rape victims.3   The failure of hospitals and other facilities treating rape victims to provide EC unacceptably leaves these women at risk of becoming pregnant as a result of assault."

I worked with a young, single mother, who was a wonderful, hard working lady. She was terrified because she received medical care for herself and her son from "Planned Parenthood". Maybe Gail didn't notice, but Republicans are defunding this valuable health resource for women. They are hypocrites.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors