Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Abortion: Republican Hypocrites

Message 101 of 110

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Gail and Soosie, this thread isn't a philosophical debate on abortion, it's about HYPOCRISY. Let me ask both of you the same questions.

1. Do you believe there should be an exception for Rape Victims?

2. Do you believe it's hypocritcal to be anti-abortion and then offer no support for the health of children after they're born?

I think my previous post answered your 1st question -  To my knowledge Emercency Contraception is not considered an abortion.  It prevents fertilization.

TODAY if you have been raped and go to the ER, you are offered a morning after pill.

If you don't want to go to the ER for some reason, pick up Plan B (One-Step, Aftera, at the local pharmacy.)  Cost are between $ 15 - $ 60 depending on where you get it.  You even have time to call around and price shop - works up to 72 hours after the act, I believe - the sooner the better.

Of course, some of the #metoo crowd don't report the rape until years after - not a very good roll model if you ask me!

As to your #2 question -

Offer no support for the health of children after they are born ???????

Are you kiddin' me ???

Last I saw, we have Medicaid which covers poor pregnant women and then their newborns - in several states (maybe most) you do not have to be a legal for this benefit.

WIC is available to the poor for infant nutrition and personal needs.

Poor children can go on either the CHIPS program or Medicaid or some combination depending upon the states design.  I believe this goes until 17 / 18 years old.

We give out free lunches during school - in fact, sometimes even free breakfast.

We have state agencies that are suppose to check and monitor the health and welfare of children:

Child Protective Services

Bureau that makes the rules, licenses and monitors daycare facilities

We have state programs that even help financially grandparents if they get charge of their grandkids and meet eligibility standards - income and custody requirements.

We have non-profits that work with the Courts to represent the best interest of children who have been abused or neglected.

CASA for Children

We have all sorts of non-profits that do things like supply lunches for poor kids during the summer months when they are out of school.

And last but not least - we put to death any parent found guilty of malice murder of a child

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/georgia-tiffany-moss-death-penalty/index.html

I work with CASA in my community - in fact on Mother's Day, I took (4) kids - 9, 7, 5, 3 - to visit their 28 year old Mom in a loooooong term treatment facility (Meth addict) - will she get them back ???  Once again, it depends on her - great program - 12-Step.

I am sure I have only touched the surface on question #2.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 110

@GailL1 wrote:

I consider abortion a medical issue that should be between a woman and her doctor.

Even if you consider any religious views - then it is between a woman and her God.

If women are to take control of their bodies - this begins way before a baby is growing.

However, we have come a long way since Roe vs Wade in science and there really is only few instances when a woman who does not want to be pregnant can't remedy the situation on her own.

• There are many forms of very reliable birth control methods for planning ahead.  From mechanical to chemical.
  • There is Emergency contraception, available to those who had sex and didn't plan ahead - Planc B is availble OTC, NO Rx, at a very low cost.  Plan B is also available to those who have been raped in the ER or if they don't go that route, again OTC; although I would hope that they do report it with the evidence still intact.

Both of these methods can be used before any heartbeat can be detected.

• Then, if those slip by for some reason,  there is also chemical or medicine abortions available with Rx and medical instructions taken very early in a pregnancy - course there does have to be validation that one is pregnant - but not by listening for a heartbeat at this stage.

If women want to take complete command over their bodies, as well, they should, doesn't that include also realizing the ramifications of the preemptive act and who is actually entering their bodies in the 1st place.

Yes, it is a normal act but one that should be planned for because of the possible repercussions - maybe we should legislate a "permission slip with a disclaimer" so that both of the parties are affirmed on not only the permission of the act but responsibility afterwards - money, time, trouble initially and even thereafter.

I find it amusing that all this debate about being the King or Queen over our own bodies when we (including legislators) act otherwise.  We don't even have the right to determine our own fate in advance by stipulation when our life is actually over and we want to end whatever remains.

Then, of course, there is the plea of who is going to pay - to me, that is all part of the whole.

Government, no matter the characteristics of legislators, want power over us - all parts of us if we let them - so if we need a "law" , Roe vs Wade may need an update, IMO.

To me, it still all comes back to people's thinking and rationing skills - many don't want to take the time or effort to to think pass immediate gratification and then procrastinate as to their immediate options. 

Until people begin to think and learn, take responsibility for their own lives, the ramifications and the choices they make, as a nation we will consatantly be having these same battles.

I will agree with practically everything that you have stated,  and in that case, what is the point in making terminations so difficult for the few that would still want one? Does it make any sense to you that women can take action in so many way, therefore why fight over something that we do have the solutions, why make it illegal?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 110

@GailL1 wrote:

I consider abortion a medical issue that should be between a woman and her doctor.

Even if you consider any religious views - then it is between a woman and her God.

If women are to take control of their bodies - this begins way before a baby is growing.

However, we have come a long way since Roe vs Wade in science and there really is only few instances when a woman who does not want to be pregnant can't remedy the situation on her own.

• There are many forms of very reliable birth control methods for planning ahead.  From mechanical to chemical.
  • There is Emergency contraception, available to those who had sex and didn't plan ahead - Planc B is availble OTC, NO Rx, at a very low cost.  Plan B is also available to those who have been raped in the ER or if they don't go that route, again OTC; although I would hope that they do report it with the evidence still intact.

• Then, if those slip by for some reason,  there is also chemical or medicine abortions available with Rx and medical instructions taken very early in a pregnancy - course there does have to be validation that one is pregnant - but not by listening for a heartbeat at this stage.

If women want to take complete command over their bodies, as well, they should, doesn't that include also realizing the ramifications of the preemptive act and who is actually entering their bodies in the 1st place.

Yes, it is a normal act but one that should be planned for because of the possible repercussions - maybe we should legislate a "permission slip with a disclaimer" so that both of the parties are affirmed on not only the permission of the act but responsibility afterwards - money, time, trouble initially and even thereafter.

I find it amusing that all this debate about being the King or Queen over our own bodies when we (including legislators) act otherwise.  We don't even have the right to determine our own fate in advance by stipulation when our life is actually over and we want to end whatever remains.

Then, of course, there is the plea of who is going to pay - to me, that is all part of the whole.

Government, no matter the characteristics of legislators, want power over us - all parts of us if we let them - so if we need a "law" , Roe vs Wade may need an update, IMO.

To me, it still all comes back to people's thinking and rationing skills - many don't want to take the time or effort to to think pass immediate gratification and then procrastinate as to their immediate options. 

Until people begin to think and learn, take responsibility for their own lives, the ramifications and the choices they make, as a nation we will consatantly be having these same battles.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyones Life was so Clinical and Analytical

Wouldn't it be nice if the Poor Woman Who Are Willing & Capable of taking responsibility for their own lives had Affordable Health Insurance so they could have access to birth control

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a President who set a Moral Example instead of bragging about the Quantity and Shocking Details of all his extramarital affairs & with his Teenage Daughter as his Wingman

1. We have come a long way since Roe v Wade - but The Leaps & Bounds in Science & Math & have had little impact on Primal Aspects of Human Nature 

Science & Math have proven the beginning of our Planet does not line up with the God Story - that hasn't reduced the Collecting of Money for the Printing of Tickets to Heaven by Organized Religion

Science & Math have proven that Humans are killing off the Food Supply we depend on for Life and ultimately the only Planet we can exist on - that hasn't convinced Republicans to do anything to Protect Either

If 1/2 of all the Marriages in the USA results in Divorce - how much critical analysis or "Planning Ahead" do you think is taking place at a College Party or on Spring Break or on Zoosk or Match.com?

Science & Math are wonderful tools - but Reality is still the Boss

Reality

One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives

51.1% of female victims of rape reported being raped by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance

91% of victims of rape and sexual assault are female

The Number of Abortions in the USA were at Historic Lows in 2015

Abortions are down 24% in the last Decade

A Combination of Science & Math - Reality and Planning Seem to be Dealing with the Situation Quite Effectively

THERE IS NO NEED TO REVISIT ROE V WADE BECAUSE THERE IS NO LAW THAT SAYS ANY WOMAN HAS TO HAVE A ABORTION

THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE EXCEPT RELIGIOUS EXPLOITATION OF POLITICS

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 110

Men are concerned about the abortion issue. But the bigger issue is that of Women’s personal rights. Do some find it odd that some Men are saying, and have been saying to Women, that they are afforded the very same rights that we have and support you! We all have the same rights to make personal decisions!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Abortion: Republican Hypocrites

Message 105 of 110

Gail and Soosie, this thread isn't a philosophical debate on abortion, it's about HYPOCRISY. Let me ask both of you the same questions.

1. Do you believe there should be an exception for Rape Victims?

2. Do you believe it's hypocritcal to be anti-abortion and then offer no support for the health of children after they're born?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 110
@gail1................Well written and thought out post.

I have trouble with the comments here about women who want control of their body, but seem to not have it when it is during the circumstances leading up to sex. I also wonder why this is such a hot topic amount seniors, especially senior men. I wish one of them could explain why they are so concerned with abortion.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 110

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 110
Women of Alabama! Rise up and run for office ladies, just like you did in 2018, and then you can remove the old white men!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 110

Funny how bigoted political views get in the way of reality and rational compassion. 

Goes to show the results of having all white male legilators attempting to run Women’s lives, and dictate what they can and cannot do...so wrong!

Just like trump, rules apply to everyone else, but not to repubs. 

And certainly no compassion for children and those in need. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Abortion: Republican Hypocrites

Message 110 of 110

Let me give you two blatant examples of Republican (Old White Men) hypocrisy on abortion. 

1. I heard an interview of a staunch Republican opponent of abortion. He was adamant there would be no exceptions, such as rape, and explained why. The host than asked him the following question which he REFUSED TO ANSWER. 

Host: You have a teenage daughter. What if she was raped by some scum of the earth, dirtbag thug, and became pregnant? Would you allow your daughter to have an abortion?

2.  ALABAMA LEGISLATORS REFUSE TO FUND MOTHER AND CHILD HEALTH CARE AS THEY BAN NEARLY ALL ABORTIONS

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors