Reply
Regular Social Butterfly

Abolish Police Unions

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/abolish-police-unions-and-the-law-can-finally-treat-cops-...

 

Abolish police unions, and the law can finally treat officers like everyone else

 

We can disagree, Left and Right, on how to handle the debate about racial justice spurred by the killing of George Floyd. But we should all be able to agree on at least one step forward: abolish police unions. I would argue, strongly, that it wasn't racism (whether institutional or structural) that killed Floyd because, sadly, as the case of Justine Ruszyzk shows, death by cop doesn't just happen to black people. Cops in Minneapolis have throttled at least 44 people into unconsciousness in just the past five years, that might have something to do with it. As to why that has happened, I insist that it's because we don't, yet we ought to, hold the police to the same general standards of care and attention that we do everyone else.

 

As Alex Tabbarok points out, union contracts mean that police, if arrested for some reason, enjoy privileges that the rest of us most certainly don't if we're arrested. As Sam Sinangwye points out (and he's a researcher into this very problem), in places where union contracts provide more privileges, then police violence is greater. It's useful to provide a reminder of what President Franklin Roosevelt said about public sector unions: There are “insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management.” The biggest problem here is we're talking about the police — the very people who are supposed, at least, to be no more than (and absolutely no less than) citizens in uniform.

 

Sure, it's true, those principles from Sir Robert Peel, the inventor of even the idea of a modern police force, apply much more in other English-speaking countries than they do in the United States, but this is part of the problem. As William Bratton has been known to point out, it is “policing by consent” that is important. The police are just some subset of all of us detailed to look after a certain section of what makes a society work. They exist to track down malefactors and, if necessary, to enforce public order. But the powers with which they do so should be those which are open to any of us. That power to arrest is not specific to those in uniform, a citizen's arrest is entirely valid. To restrain someone engaging in violence, any of us may do that.

 

But with those same powers also goes the same responsibilities. To be as gentle as possible about it, to make a mistake should lead to the same consequences for the private citizen exercising those powers as it should be for those in uniform. The same is true of abusing those powers too. This is where unions and their contracts become that problem.

 

The agreements that have built up over the years, such things as qualified immunity for the police and other inequalities before the law, are specifically there in order to release the police from those same responsibilities in the exercise of those powers. That's what unions are for, of course, to privilege union members — which is why we must not have them in the police force.

 

Getting rid of these special arrangements means getting rid of the unions that negotiate them. That might only be a start, but it's a necessary precondition. Abolishing police unions would be the first step in moving police forces away from their position as legally privileged occupying powers back to what they ought to be — just the citizenry in uniform serving the society they are a part of.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
207 Views
10
Report
Regular Social Butterfly

Protestors: Anything but "abolish police unions" with lots of vague, nonspecific, inarticulate proposed solutions that frequently evoke the response, "What does that mean?".

 

And, the liberal news media loves it because then they get to ask, "What does defunding the police mean?" and "What does Black Lives Matter mean?" over and over ad nauseam.

 

Me: Abolish police unions.  Succinct.  Duh?

 

Minneapolis has had nothing but Democrat mayors since 1978 therefore the Democrat protestors elected the government officials who are responsible for the policies that they are protesting.  Thus, the protestors are protesting themselves.

 

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
236 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@aruzinsky wrote:

Protestors: Anything but "abolish police unions" with lots of vague, nonspecific, inarticulate proposed solutions that frequently evoke the response, "What does that mean?".  It means you just made it up?

 

Me: Abolish police unions.  Succinct.  So?

 

Minneapolis has had nothing but Democrat mayors since 1978 And is why it is routinely named one of the best cities to live and work.. So sorry for those who live in corrupt Chicago....succinct!  therefore the Democrat protestors elected the government officials who are responsible for the policies that they are protesting. WRONG, they are protesting the killing of an innocent black man.  Succinct! Why is this so confusing for some?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Regular Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

Protestors: Anything but "abolish police unions" with lots of vague, nonspecific, inarticulate proposed solutions that frequently evoke the response, "What does that mean?".  It means you just made it up?

 

Me: Abolish police unions.  Succinct.  So?

 

Minneapolis has had nothing but Democrat mayors since 1978 And is why it is routinely named one of the best cities to live and work.. So sorry for those who live in corrupt Chicago....succinct!  therefore the Democrat protestors elected the government officials who are responsible for the policies that they are protesting. WRONG, they are protesting the killing of an innocent black man.  Succinct! Why is this so confusing for some?


Speak of confused, this is not about what protestors are protesting but about the proposed solutions to what they are protesting.

 

Chicago has had nothing but Democrat mayors since 1931.  Why do you keep bringing up Chicago?  I don't live in Chicago and I don't have a Democrat Mayor.

 

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
223 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@aruzinsky wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

Protestors: Anything but "abolish police unions" with lots of vague, nonspecific, inarticulate proposed solutions that frequently evoke the response, "What does that mean?".  It means you just made it up?

 

Me: Abolish police unions.  Succinct.  So?

 

Minneapolis has had nothing but Democrat mayors since 1978 And is why it is routinely named one of the best cities to live and work.. So sorry for those who live in corrupt Chicago....succinct!  therefore the Democrat protestors elected the government officials who are responsible for the policies that they are protesting. WRONG, they are protesting the killing of an innocent black man.  Succinct! Why is this so confusing for some?


Speak of confused, this is not about what protestors are protesting but about the proposed solutions to what they are protesting.  LOL!  Yes, I'm speaking about those who are confused.  Thanks for your concern.

 

Due to somes arrarent confusion, they ignore the fact that several have posted we need to "abolish" or mitigate the influence of police unions for YEARS!

 

Chicago has had nothing but Democrat mayors since 1931.  So?  Why do you keep bringing up Chicago?  I don't live in Chicago and I don't have a Democrat Mayor.  So?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
185 Views
0
Report
Social Butterfly

We can agree that recent deaths have been appalling. But everyone needs to also consider when someone commits an illegal (chargeable) act, it is NOT RACIAL. I'm saying, if someone in Las Vegas has 5 guns across the street from the Federal Building, within 2 minutes of an Officer being shot in the face less than 5 miles away, how do you want the law enforcement to react when someone else has 5 guns?

 

And, btw, if you are as peaceful as your family reports, why did you have 5 guns?

 

I'm sorry; we have a leo in desperate situation; I am finally sick that we who always love and trust others, no matter their race, religion or gender, are now considered bad due to him being "white"... this needs to end!

 

So many of us do not think race is THE issue; perhaps bigotry, sexism and elitism, by the current administration is the problem?

 

#StaySafe

 

#VegasStrong


#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
283 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@WebWiseWoman wrote:

We can agree that recent deaths have been appalling. GREAT!  That's a start...

 

But everyone needs to also consider when someone commits an illegal (chargeable) act, it is NOT RACIAL. How do you know?

 

I'm saying, if someone in Las Vegas has 5 guns across the street from the Federal Building, within 2 minutes of an Officer being shot in the face less than 5 miles away, how do you want the law enforcement to react when someone else has 5 guns?  What a false equivalency!!!  Law Enforcement should make the suspect lie on the ground, handcuffed, and put their knee in his throat until he's DEAD!  Keep in mind, none of the recent police killings were related to ANYONE shooting ANYONE in the face by the deceased....did Floyd have 5 guns on him?  Did Avery?  GOOD LORD....

 

So many of us do not think race is THE issue;


@WebWiseWoman wrote:

We can agree that recent deaths have been appalling. But everyone needs to also consider when someone commits an illegal (chargeable) act, it is NOT RACIAL. I'm saying, if someone in Las Vegas has 5 guns across the street from the Federal Building, within 2 minutes of an Officer being shot in the face less than 5 miles away, how do you want the law enforcement to react when someone else has 5 guns?

 

And, btw, if you are as peaceful as your family reports, why did you have 5 guns?

 

I'm sorry; we have a leo in desperate situation; I am finally sick that we who always love and trust others, no matter their race, religion or gender, are now considered bad due to him being "white"... this needs to end!

 

So many of us do not think race is THE issue; What percentage of "us" are minorities???

 

perhaps bigotry, sexism and elitism, by the current administration is the problem?  Perhaps....all of which can be true at the same time, including racism...

 

What did Floyd, Brooks, the woman in KY and Avery all have in common?  They were black....and committed minor, IF any, offense.  Now they are dead!  Questions?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
244 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@aruzinsky wrote:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/abolish-police-unions-and-the-law-can-finally-treat-cops-...

 

Abolish police unions, and the law can finally treat officers like everyone else

 

We can disagree, Left and Right, on how to handle the debate about racial justice spurred by the killing of George Floyd. REALLY?  Does the Right think there shouldn't be EQUAL JUSTICE?  Why would that be?

 

But we should all be able to agree on at least one step forward: abolish police unions. I would argue, strongly, that it wasn't racism (whether institutional or structural) that killed Floyd because, sadly, as the case of Justine Ruszyzk shows, death by cop doesn't just happen to black people. That's outrageous.  When was a murder at the knee of a cop and the other was a mistake!  The cop had no idea who and what he was shooting at.  Cops kil 1,000 people each year and death by cop happens to all races.  But no one really believes there is no racism involved in some of the cases

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
332 Views
1
Report
Regular Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/abolish-police-unions-and-the-law-can-finally-treat-cops-...

 

Abolish police unions, and the law can finally treat officers like everyone else

 

We can disagree, Left and Right, on how to handle the debate about racial justice spurred by the killing of George Floyd. REALLY?  Does the Right think there shouldn't be EQUAL JUSTICE?  Why would that be?

 

But we should all be able to agree on at least one step forward: abolish police unions. I would argue, strongly, that it wasn't racism (whether institutional or structural) that killed Floyd because, sadly, as the case of Justine Ruszyzk shows, death by cop doesn't just happen to black people. That's outrageous.  When was a murder at the knee of a cop and the other was a mistake!  The cop had no idea who and what he was shooting at.  Cops kil 1,000 people each year and death by cop happens to all races.  But no one really believes there is no racism involved in some of the cases

There is no evidence that George Floyd's death was racially motivated.  The fact that Derek Chauvin's wife was Asian is evidence that Derek Chauvin is not racist.

 

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
304 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry, I have long been a union supporter as was my father.  The problem is not in unions, it is in the management teams who will not negotiate in good faith. If you offer any group the entire store, they will take it. It is time to put management on notice that signing sweetheart contracts is no longer acceptable. 

 

The unions in Europe have seats on the BoD and work as full partners. The same should be true for police unions. 

0 Kudos
342 Views
1
Report
Regular Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

Sorry, I have long been a union supporter as was my father.  The problem is not in unions, it is in the management teams who will not negotiate in good faith. If you offer any group the entire store, they will take it. It is time to put management on notice that signing sweetheart contracts is no longer acceptable. 

 

The unions in Europe have seats on the BoD and work as full partners. The same should be true for police unions. 


What a coincidence!  Not a single stir crazy liberal protester wants to abolish police unions either.  They don't even want to try it as a scientific experiment in selected cities.  Could it be because, if abolishing police unions were successful in reducing police brutality, it would lead to abolishing all government employee unions?  I bet.

 

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
312 Views
0
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png