From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AMERICAN METEOROLOGIST SACKED FOR HAVING THE WRONG VIEWS

Message 1 of 11

@jimc91 wrote:

Meteorology is the interdisciplinary scientific study of the atmosphere. The study of meteorology dates back millennia, though significant progress in meteorology did not occur until the 18th century. The 19th century saw modest progress in the field after weather observation networks were formed across broad regions. Prior attempts at prediction of weather depended on historical data. It wasn't until after the elucidation of the laws of physics and, more particularly, the development of the computer, allowing for the automated solution of a great many equations that model the weather, in the latter half of the 20th century that significant breakthroughs in weather forecasting were achieved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorology

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MY COMMENT:

I would think she believes in science...

Do you mean 'alternative science' ?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

jimc91: 

Why do some feel "threatened" by people with differing opinions and feel the need to ridicule, mock and destroy or discredit them with fabricated evidence.  

Isn't that a description of "SCORCHED EARTH policy?  Count me out.

She has the right to believe all the anti-vaxxer nonsense she cares to, but those loony views made her a bad fit as a  science reporter. It would be like the Vatican hiring an atheist.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

@Richva wrote:

They did not hire her as a meteorologist, they hired her as a Science Reporter.  It appears her view the vaccines cause autism, a completely debunked theory from a completely debunked source.  She is listed as a "Former Meteorologist" from WBZ-TV and not an active meteorologist.  So, a) she is not a meteorologist b) she was not fired for her views on climate change. 

Once again, the Alt-Press has managed to fabricate False News.  I gotta' tell ya' though Jimbo, I do love exposing these whacko web blogs you keep finding. Thanks

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2017/02/08/newly-hired-wgbh-science-reporter-loses-job-o...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2017/02/08/newly-hired-wgbh-science-reporter-loses-job-o...

You beat me to it. She has testified that she thinks there could be a link between vaccines and autism. And at least going by the quotes in the Globe article, she's going by anecdotal circumstances of "Ivy League educated friends" whose kids have autism. That's not how the scientific method works. I can't believed she'd testify to that effect.

her climate science beliefs seem to be secondary.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Richva - Thanks for AGAIN debunking Alt-Reich nonsense. What's sad is the anti-vaxers won't kill off their kids and themselves fast enough to keep the rest of us out of danger from the pandemics their views nurture. I did hear things are looking up for her - she's on Der Trumper's short list for Surgeon General, along with a couple Christian Scientists and, to prove he's not racist, a Obeahman from Haiti.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

They did not hire her as a meteorologist, they hired her as a Science Reporter.  It appears her view the vaccines cause autism, a completely debunked theory from a completely debunked source.  She is listed as a "Former Meteorologist" from WBZ-TV and not an active meteorologist.  So, a) she is not a meteorologist b) she was not fired for her views on climate change. 

Once again, the Alt-Press has managed to fabricate False News.  I gotta' tell ya' though Jimbo, I do love exposing these whacko web blogs you keep finding. Thanks

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@jimc91 wrote:

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 1.57.37 PM.png

They observe changes in the atmosphere like astronomers study the stars, analyzing everything from air pressure to water vapor and poring over computer models to arrive at a forecast.

But for all their scrutiny of weather data, many meteorologists part ways with their colleagues — climate scientists who study longer atmospheric trends — in one crucial respect: whether human activity is causing climate change.

Meteorologists are more skeptical than climate scientists, and that division was underscored by the recent departure of Mish Michaels from WGBH News.

Michaels, a former meteorologist at WBZ-TV, lost her job as a science reporter at WGBH’s show “Greater Boston” last week after colleagues raised concerns about her views on vaccines and climate change. She had previously questioned the safety of vaccines and the evidence that human activity was causing global warming, both widely held views in the scientific community.

A national survey last year by researchers at George Mason University in Virginia found that just 46 percent of broadcast meteorologists said they believed that climate change over the past 50 years has been “primarily or entirely” the result of human activity. By contrast, surveys of climate scientists have found that 97 percent attribute warming to human activity.

“Weather forecasters are people, too, and their political ideology plays a role in their views,” said Ed Maibach, who directs the Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason and oversaw the study. “So conservative forecasters tend to be more skeptical than liberal forecasters.”

Among those skeptics is Tim Kelley, who has issued weather forecasts on New England Cable News since 1992. He describes himself as a “student of climate change,” but says his experience with the variability of computer models has made him skeptical that anyone can predict how greenhouse gases will change the environment in the coming decades.

“How can their computer models be better than ours?” he said. “We look at computer projections all the time, and we know how off they can be.”

Kelley acknowledges the climate is changing, but like many skeptics he questions whether rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are the reason. He believes most of the changes are natural, not man-made.

“I’m much less alarmed by global warming than most people,” he said. “I’d rather it be warmer.”

Kelley said he was deeply concerned by what he sees as Michaels’s firing.

“It’s alarming that you can be scapegoated or branded as a denier,” he said.

Officials at WGBH did not return messages seeking comment, and earlier said simply that Michaels’s departure was a personnel matter.

In a statement last week, Michaels said her “personal beliefs as a private citizen have been positioned inaccurately,” and maintained that she never claimed not to believe in vaccines.

“Scientific consensus does not equal complacency. It is a challenge to scientists to verify the science or push it forward,” she said.

READ MORE:  http://www.thegwpf.com/meteorologists-sacked-for-having-the-wrong-views/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MY COMMENT:

Why do some feel "threatened" by people with differing opinions and feel the need to ridicule, mock and destroy or discredit them with fabricated evidence.  (sic)

Companies terminate employee's that share their views ALL....THE......TIME.   Look at what Trump did with the Attorney General.  Breitbart just terminated Milo.....is there a difference?

Isn't that a description of "SCORCHED EARTH policy?  No. Count me out. ???  Were you "in" with the Breibart firing?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

Before Reagan killed the Fairness Doctrine, any weather person spewing the tripe about man having no role in Cimate change on an American network would have been similiarly fired. Now she'll probably become head of the Fox weather dept (provided she can sit on a couch and show some nice thigh).

Had the Hillary Haters realized what they were doing and not done it, we MIGHT have a SCOTUS that would distinguish "lying on the public airways for monetary and political gain" and "exercising free speech" , but letting Der Trumper win destroyed that chance for another decade or two.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@jimc91 wrote:

Meteorology is the interdisciplinary scientific study of the atmosphere. The study of meteorology dates back millennia, though significant progress in meteorology did not occur until the 18th century. The 19th century saw modest progress in the field after weather observation networks were formed across broad regions. Prior attempts at prediction of weather depended on historical data. It wasn't until after the elucidation of the laws of physics and, more particularly, the development of the computer, allowing for the automated solution of a great many equations that model the weather, in the latter half of the 20th century that significant breakthroughs in weather forecasting were achieved.

MY COMMENT:

The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) is a think tank in the United Kingdom, whose stated aims are to challenge "extremely damaging and harmful policies" envisaged by governments to mitigate anthropogenic global warming.It has been accused of promoting climate-change denial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Warming_Policy_Foundation

When you research her, it appears she was fired more for being an anti-vaxer, which is ignoring science and promoting ignorance, more than anything else.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

MY COMMENT:

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Could this just be the case of a "science reporter" being fired for not believing in science?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors