Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AMERIC SEES IN COLORS

Message 41 of 81

@rker321 

Okay most places in the world have at least some diversity, or a lot, depending upon their location. 

So is your point that we use continents to describe people? In which case the US, Mexico, and Canada are all Americans, or North Americans, if you will. And couldn’t South Americans be termed Americans also!

My point again is, where is the primer or guide which tells us what each group of people would like to be termed? I do not know of one. Is there one?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 81

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321 

So you mention that other countries deal with race issues or descriptions differently than we do. Are they suffering from the racism that the US is currently?

Do these other countries have the racial diversity that we do?

”Opinions” are being voiced here, but is there a forum or study which states “what would each race like to be called”?

Any description that I use is not out of disrespect, but I’m, like many, searching. Yes, I would like use American or US Citizen, but at this point we do need differentiation, for different issues which apply to different races of citizens in the US. 

My opinion. 

This continent alone is full of diversity. take a look at Mexico. there are white Mexicans, Mexicans of Indian extraction. Mexicans of Russian descent. there was a time in which there was even a Russian King or something like that in Mexico. and blacks, not brought in as slaves but eventually migrated into Mexico.

Argentina.  White, Europeans from Germany, Spain, Italy. I don't know as to the extent of their Indian population. but they have probably a mixture.

Chile,  same.  Brazill same. There are so many Germans in Brazil  or descendants of that race that it could make your head spin. 
Thereis a lot of diversity in this continent. LOok at Canada. also has a lot of diversity.  In Cuba for example, we have Spaniards, that colonized our island, blacks that where brought  by them.  We have a well documented Chinese population, Jewish  after WWII that stayed in Cuba.  and a mixture of black and write,  and now Russians. . I am sure that you can find about demographics in the American continent. This country is big so bear in mind the total amount of the population in order to think in %'s
I will say that in this continent, they have dealt with racism a lot better than the US. across the board. In this continent there have been many revolutions never one about race.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 81

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Democrats are racist. 

They are the ones who keep invoking racism even when it doesn't apply. 

An unsubstantiated and false claim.

The way to keep it alive instead of working to temper it.

Wrong again Tex .......

Denying racism when it applies "keeps racism alive".

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 81

I think that most Americans wear their "color" proudly as they should.  They are proud of their heritage, their ethnicity, their ancestors. 

Yes, we might see in colors, but it's like a rainbow.  (Cue up Rolling Stones.  OK, starting to sound sappy now, but every American knows they belong regardless of what anybody else tries to tell them or call them.)

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 81
Maybe we should not call it racism at all. Maybe we should call it hateism. The end result of hate in our country these days is unnecessary deaths, and all kinds of people pay the price for our hateism!
Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 81

@rker321 

So you mention that other countries deal with race issues or descriptions differently than we do. Are they suffering from the racism that the US is currently?

Do these other countries have the racial diversity that we do?

”Opinions” are being voiced here, but is there a forum or study which states “what would each race like to be called”?

Any description that I use is not out of disrespect, but I’m, like many, searching. Yes, I would like use American or US Citizen, but at this point we do need differentiation, for different issues which apply to different races of citizens in the US. 

My opinion. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 81

@MsStretch wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

Food   for thught

White  for White europeans.
 Black  for people from Africa
  Red  for Native American Indians
   Yellos for Asians
    Brown for people from Latin America.

Getting back to the original post.  Even though this thread immediately evolved into racism, perhaps another way to look at it is the diversity of this country.  Whether people see color or see Native Americans, African Americans, Cuban Americans, Italian Americans, Japanese Americans, Latino, Hispanic, Indian, Caucasian, it just highlights and shows that many cultures and ethnicities make up the United States of America and contributed to making it the greatest country.

Beautiful post, as you have posted the diversity in this country is great. there are people of all nations and all racial extractions in this country we should all be proud of that diversity. and not simply see who is different  than any of us.
It was not  the intent of this thread to implicate racism the only thing that I wanted to show that we see people in colors and not as people. It has nothing to do with racism it has to do as I pointed out the cultural idiosyncrasy that I mentioned in one of my posts.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 81

@rker321 wrote:

Food   for thught

White  for White europeans.
 Black  for people from Africa
  Red  for Native American Indians
   Yellos for Asians
    Brown for people from Latin America.

Getting back to the original post.  Even though this thread immediately evolved into racism, perhaps another way to look at it is the diversity of this country.  Whether people see color or see Native Americans, African Americans, Cuban Americans, Italian Americans, Japanese Americans, Latino, Hispanic, Indian, Caucasian, it just highlights and shows that many cultures and ethnicities make up the United States of America and contribute to making it the greatest country.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 81

@williamb39198 wrote:

@rker321 

My comment was not meant to speak of the white race, other than to denote damage which they have done on race issues. 

I will call, respectfully for each race, whatever they would like to be called. 

How do you propose to differentiate people when issues may affect different races in different ways? It’s not meant out of disrespect, but as a way to describe what is taking place, and strive towards racial equality. 

Perhaps the time has come for the US to see and evaluate what other countries have done it/  Race is utilize for demographic purposes. not to simply call people by their race. It is common for Americans to use race as a mode of determining people in instances that have nothing to do with demographics. Is just normal conversation as you know.
And by the way, My own children are called Cuban Amerric ans, and I don't like that ant neither do they they are Americans, full Amerrinas, or aren't they?

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 81

@williamb39198 wrote:

@cm9889168 

On what basis are you stating that African American citizens would rather be called Black? Haven’t heard anything like that from African American leaders.

I don't think the black people need their 'leaders' to tell them what they want to be called (or labeled).  We all base our opinions usually on our own surroundings, interactions, and those we've talked to who know.  I'm not in the 'deep south' so I can't speak for them. I only speak for what I know from my friends, family, honest conversations, church, conferences, and experiences.  I don't know anyone who still wants to be called African American because mostly all were born here, many are mixed race (and respect that), and not all their ancestors are from Africa.

And yes, it would be great to refer to all as people, but different races are discriminated against in different ways...

This question has nothing to do with this conversation about labeling someone.  You seem to want to talk about racism (again).

how would you propose to describe these forms of racism against different races?  So what do you want?  To keep on discriminating?  An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and all the world is blind and toothless?

I describe any type of racism as pure hate.  Just as bad as those who spread lies and hate about someone when they know it's not true, which causes killings, division, and more hate to spread in our country.

Racism is not dead. Consider that white caucasians are the primary racists in the US.  Racism comes in all colors.  I know of 'white' people who have experienced racism from other races, too...and been killed. It is no longer only the 'white caucasians' who are the 'primary racists'.  There is racism, color against color, blacks against blacks - too dark or too light - or the area they live in, etc). And look at the Hate Party - they are encouraging whites against whites...."White Privilege", "White Guilt", and mostly all of them shouting it are white, so I guess that would make them racist, too, making themselves into racists if they're white!  Sheesh, don't we all get tired of the back and forth arguing over who is more racist?  Does it make one feel better?  

Too bad all that effort isn't put into just accepting and being kind to each other.  Say 'hello' when you pass someone on the street whether you know them or not.

“Racism is not dead, but it is on life support ~ kept alive by politicians, race hustlers and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as “racists.”   Thomas Sowell

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors