Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AMERIC SEES IN COLORS

Message 31 of 81

@TxGrandpa2 

You stated it...I was just responding to what you posted. And you made it personal by asking what I was doing. And your marriage was not part of the conversation. You brought in personal. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 81

@williamb39198 wrote:

That’s hilarious!  You stated “words don’t mean anything”...so why are you using words???!!!

Who is the one using words?  Now you are attempting to get personal?  Being in a bi-racial marriage for five decades I'm well familiar with those who are 'using words'.   And with where those who use those words are coming from.  Additionally  there is no doubt that many are just using words for political posturing.  

It is easy to use words on an anonymous social site, but the question is what is one's background in dealing with racism in a personal and work life?  A lot of what is posted here indicates most have no idea what they are posting about.

Have a good afternoon.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 81

@TxGrandpa2 

That’s hilarious!  You stated “words don’t mean anything”...so why are you using words???!!!

Doing something: being respectful and courteous of people in everyday life, no matter who they are, is a really good starting point. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 81

@williamb39198 wrote:

Okay. And what are you doing to help defeat racism?

I am acknowledging it’s existence, and speaking out against it. And will support any program which is against racism, plus speaking out for those who are subject to racist attitudes or actions. 

Ok, you are speaking out against its existence.  Is that all. From what I see, your words are just part of political posturing.  What are you doing to be proactive in relation with others?  Words don't mean anything, but actions does.  Have you done anything to create better relations between the races other than just acknowledge its existence.  We all know racism exists, therefore it doesn't need acknowledging.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 81

@williamb39198 wrote:

Judging from the last couple of posts, are we just suppose to ignore racism?

And how will you describe what happens to distinctive groups of people?

I am not the proper person to ask those questions. in many ways, Remember I am just a naturalized citizen.I have grown up with very different ideas of  what is racist and never encountered that in my own country
I have tried to tell you the differences that I have known in most of the other countries in Latin American and how they have developed in their history and avoided many of the things that   have happen in the US.
It is more up to the Americans to really deal with this issue and try to fix it. There is little that I can do or say to try to point out what my thread is all about. Americans do see people in colors. and I truly believe that is not racism but  a cultural development that has existed for ever in the US Unfortunately now, in the  present every word that it is said is tainted and becomes racist whether it is or not.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 81

@TxGrandpa2 

Okay. And what are you doing to help defeat racism?

I am acknowledging it’s existence, and speaking out against it. And will support any program which is against racism, plus speaking out for those who are subject to racist attitudes or actions. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 81

@williamb39198 wrote:

Perhaps be doing something about it instead of using it as a political arguing point.  That is about all that is seen here.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 81

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 81

@myexper wrote:

The way to keep it alive instead of working to temper it.

Wrong again Tex .......

Denying racism when it applies "keeps racism alive".

So you believe that everyone should continue talking about racism, continually drawing attention to it and keeping racism alive, instead of working to temper it?  Do you actually think that all this dialogue is helpful in bringing people of different categories together?

What kind of training have you had in dealing with racial situations?  Doesn't sound like any.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 81

william39198
Citizens of Canada, US and Mexico are North Americans, People from the Center of this continent are Central Americans.  People from the South are called south Americans and people from the Caribbean islands are called Americans.
In a sense we are all Americans. We have been born in the American Continent therefore we are all Americans.
Now I don't know how much history of this continent is taught in our school system I suspect that very little.
If I may make a suggestion. please read about the conquest of Mexico by Hernan Cortes, and see how the Spaniards "conquered" the Aztec culture and their city Mexico city. ii is fascinating.. They didn't find Indians living in huts, they found indians living is cities with paved streets and a written language. I am sue that you remember the Mexican Calendar. anyway. simply compare the type of "conquering" that happened in Mexico and the rest of the Americas. that was so different from the colonization of the islands in the Caribbean.
It was more by immersion than by war. See the difference between the Spanish colonization in the Americas and the colonization of the British in India for example.
The Spaniards didn't start by killing the natives, or putting them in reservation or any kind of discrimination that existed when the US was conquering the West. They started by marrying the Indians. and producing the mixture that you see today.
There are many stories about many Spaniards that belonged to the aristocracy in Spain marrying Indians, and taking their wives to live in Spain. They didn't see the natives in the same way that we saw our Natives in the US.
If perhaps more of the History of this continent were taught in school perhaps this country would  have developed differently. No one wants to be called anything but by the name of the country that they have been born.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors