Honored Social Butterfly

AG Barr Criticises tRump. Says Back Off

Barr pushes back against Trump’s criticism of Justice Dept., says tweets ‘make it impossible for me to do my job’

Attorney General William P. Barr pushed back hard Thursday against President Trump’s criticism of the Justice Department, saying, “I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody.”

In an interview with ABC News, Barr said presidential statements and tweets “about the department, about people in the department, our men and women here, about cases pending here, and about judges before whom we have cases, make it impossible for me to do my job and to assure the courts and the prosecutors and the department that we’re doing our work with integrity.”

The attorney general’s comments are almost certain to anger the president, who has heaped criticism on some current and former Justice Department officials over prosecutions and investigations involving the president’s former associates and alleged leaking by government officials. Barr said he was prepared to accept the consequences of speaking out against the president.

“I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me,” the attorney general said. He also noted that when he became attorney general last year, he pledged to resist intimidation from any quarter, whether Congress, the White House, or elsewhere.

Barr’s public rebuke of the president comes as the attorney general contends with worsening turmoil at the Justice Department, where current and former officials question whether Trump has bent the justice system to his will.

The attorney general has faced mounting scrutiny since Tuesday, when four prosecutors handling the case of President Trump’s longtime friend Roger Stone withdrew from the proceedings amid a dispute over how long he should spend in prison.

In a Monday court filing, the four prosecutors had recommended a prison sentence of seven to nine years, following extensive debate beforehand with their supervisors in the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Stone found guilty: The colorful, weird and bizarre parts of the indictment, explained

Roger Stone was found guilty on Nov. 15 of lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstruction of justice over remarks about WikiLeaks’ 2016 email releases. (Adriana Usero/The Washington Post)

Trump reacted angrily, tweeting Tuesday: “This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice!”

A senior Justice Department official claimed department leadership was “shocked” at the first recommendation and felt a need to correct it. Later Tuesday, more senior Justice Department officials called the recommendation of seven to nine years excessive, and a new filing was made to the court suggesting it would be more fair to give Stone three to four years in prison.

The new sentencing recommendation — signed by the interim U.S. attorney for D.C., Timothy Shea, and a different career prosecutor — said the previous guidance “could be considered excessive and unwarranted under the circumstances.” Shea, a former close adviser to Barr at Justice Department headquarters, was installed at the U.S. Attorney’s Office last month.

Stone was convicted by a jury in November of obstructing Congress and witness intimidation, and prosecutors said he lied to protect Trump.

Prosecutors and defense lawyers can only make recommendations about prison sentences; Stone is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 20 by U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson.

Kerri Kupec, a Justice Department spokeswoman, has said the agency decided before Trump’s Tuesday tweet to revise the sentencing recommendation, and that there were no discussions between the White House and Justice Department about Stone’s case in the days leading up to the prosecutors’ guidance.

Current and former Justice Department officials have expressed alarm about the sequence of events, questioning whether the department under Barr caved to the president’s whim on a high-profile case filed by former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III as part of his investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

On Wednesday, Trump praised the department’s change of course and singled out Barr specifically.

“Congratulations to Attorney General Bill Barr for taking charge of a case that was totally out of control and perhaps should not have even been brought,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Evidence now clearly shows that the Mueller Scam was improperly brought & tainted.”

Democrats called earlier this week for the inspector general to investigate the dispute surrounding Stone’s sentence recommendation.

Barr pushes back against Trump’s criticism of Justice Dept., says tweets ‘make it impossible for me ... 

A cabinet member PUBLICALLY criticizes the Fuhrer.  Stay tuned!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

I think what Barr  did is fairly obvious. He's telling Trump I will continue to do all of your dirty work, however, don't make it harder for me by talking about it in public. Let me do this in silence.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I think what Barr  did is fairly obvious. He's telling Trump I will continue to do all of your dirty work, however, don't make it harder for me by talking about it in public. Let me do this in silence.

You are exactly right. Barr just doesn't want tRump advertising him doing the dirty work for him (even though everyone knows it). The corruption is beyond amazing, we are seeing the real "Deep State" at work. Even McConnell is a part of it, he has discreetly asked tRump to stop tweeting.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yep, Barr said that, but he will continue to lick tRump's boots.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Yep, Barr said that, but he will continue to lick tRump's boots.

Barr is playing at Duck & Cover ~ for his own backside.

It won't stop him from being investigated, giving testimony under oath and then possibly impeached. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I think Barr said what he did due to other threats of resignation from Justice Department staff.

Barr saw his department collapsing over his unethical actions ..... including acting like Trump's personal lawyer instead of the country's AG!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Something to think about.  What you are seeing here is interplay between the Dictator and one of his lackeys. You can be sure this was well rehearsed between the 2 of them. All have to get used to how a Dictatorship works as we are now in one.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

Went over IMPOTUS's head.  He still hasn't shut up.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Now it looks like the fore person [sic] in the jury, in the Roger Stone case, had significant bias. Add that to everything else, and this is not looking good for the “Justice” Department. @foxandfriends @FoxNews
7:57 AM · Feb 13, 2020
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png