Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

ABORTION

Abortion.jpg

 

Honored Social Butterfly

What's the BIG DEAL non-a-days?  Wake up women - take care and know your bodies.

 

There are pretty much fail-safe birth control methods - CHEAP - especially CHEAP if you consider the cost of the consequences.  Maybe that is a cost the male partner can share.

 

Then you have Plan B - the Morning After Pill - again CHEAP - especially CHEAP if you consider the cost of the consequences.  Maybe that is a cost the male partner can share.

 

Screenshot_2020-10-12 AfterPill Emergency Contraceptive - Single Pack - Walmart com.png

 

 

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

 

 
AfterPill Emergency Contraceptive - Single Pack
Walmart
$22.00
 
Then there is RU486 - the abortion pill that can work up to week 10 - 11.  Cost varies but still CHEAP if you consider the cost of the consequences. Maybe that is a cost the male partner can share.
 
Medication abortion is a safe, effective alternative to a procedural abortion. It involves taking two prescribed medications, mifepristone followed by misoprostol, to end a pregnancy that is no further than 10-11 weeks along.  The earlier, the better.
 
Currently it is suppose to be given to a woman by a medical provider with instructions but there is a movement underway to make it available via mail order to INCREASE AVAILABILITY.   But in other parts of the world, it has been mail order for a long time. Or at least let it be sold over the counter but mail order would be better cause then state legislators can just butt out completely.
 
Leave those surgical abortions to those who have to have them because of some extreme abnormality or loss of life in the mother or the child.
 
BUTT OUT GOVERNMENT !!!!
 
However, if a mother decides to carry to full term and give up her BABY for adoption to some lucky couple or even a single person that wants to be a parent (although I think it is a job for 2) - I don't think the baby would have any problem finding a good home.  Infants are always in demand by adoptees.
 
 
 
 
Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:
 
Medication abortion is a safe, effective alternative to a procedural abortion. It involves taking two prescribed medications, mifepristone followed by misoprostol, to end a pregnancy that is no further than 10-11 weeks along.  The earlier, the better.
 
Currently it is suppose to be given to a woman by a medical provider with instructions but there is a movement underway to make it available via mail order to INCREASE AVAILABILITY.   But in other parts of the world, it has been mail order for a long time. Or at least let it be sold over the counter but mail order would be better cause then state legislators can just butt out completely.
 
 
 
I had no idea there was a push to make this available by mail order. Seems a reasonable idea to me. 

 

0 Kudos
678 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:
 
Medication abortion is a safe, effective alternative to a procedural abortion. It involves taking two prescribed medications, mifepristone followed by misoprostol, to end a pregnancy that is no further than 10-11 weeks along.  The earlier, the better.
 
Currently it is suppose to be given to a woman by a medical provider with instructions but there is a movement underway to make it available via mail order to INCREASE AVAILABILITY.   But in other parts of the world, it has been mail order for a long time. Or at least let it be sold over the counter but mail order would be better cause then state legislators can just butt out completely.
 
 
 
I had no idea there was a push to make this available by mail order. Seems a reasonable idea to me. 

 


Actually, it is already available in several states by mail-order.  Last state count was 13, I think -

So you see, there are a few good things that "Covid" has brought to us because that is the reason why it was even pushed.

0 Kudos
515 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

Actually, it is already available in several states by mail-order.  Last state count was 13, I think -

So you see, there are a few good things that "Covid" has brought to us because that is the reason why it was even pushed.


Well, there is a school of thought that we should have allowed states to work through the abortion issue before the SCOTUS dealt with it. Looks like we may have to do that.  Imagine a woman being able to get a dated statement from her doctor that she is under the 18 week cutoff and can then order the necessary from Amazon?

0 Kudos
489 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

And do you really believe that these Right movement people whichi will include the Catholics will actually allow a mail in abortion 
Those people believe that life begins at conception remember? and even contraceptives are not allowed in the Catholic Religion.
So where will all those new advances will be?

no name
0 Kudos
385 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

If the government would get out of our business, who would every know?  We should have a certain degree of privacy in this country. 

Plan B is available OTC and can also be shipped anywhere.

Ru486 could be done the same way with a physicians Rx.

Some women want to be taken care of - you know the type.  They may have some skepticism about going it alone - but it was their deed and timing that got them  to this point.

0 Kudos
358 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

This is not the government, is the Catholics, the Fundies that are driving all of this The government is now involved because they have managed to put people in places that relate in those convictions. You should see what I see in all the Catholic magazines how they paint Biden. as the party of death. and everyone that votes for him will go to hell and you would never believe how many actually believe this.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

As long as the government guarantees access to abortion, I am good with them staying out of the decision itself. 

0 Kudos
352 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva   But those things will cease to exist once Roe vs Wade is repealed.

no name
0 Kudos
672 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Surprise, Surprise, I guess that we are now getting a lesson in contraception.Contraceptives and the pill after have been with us, for quite sometime. and we all know that they do exist.
But this post is not about the right to choose. this post is about the fact that sometimes women get pregnant and those pregnancies are not a matter of negligence as some imply.
Terminations occur for different reasons, the health of the mother, or for unforseen circumstances.
I still remember my third pregnancy and how surprised I was. because I have been using contraceptives. And how much I laughed when at the hospital on my fourth child the woman besides me had just given birth to a child while using an intra uterine device. Perhaps those things are the exception but they do happen.
So please do not try to tell any woman that if she gets pregnant is because she is careless, negligent or stupid.
So wake up America, and smell the roses because there is one truth that we should all have to accept. and that is
That if a women gets pregnant and for whatever the reason she doesn't want to be pregnant,  she will find a way to terminate that pregnancy even if it costs her her life.




 

no name
Conversationalist

Abortion and States' Rights

 

I couldn't find the "insert picture" option. Where'd it go?

____________________________________
Icono Clast
http://IClast.net/
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/iclast
https://twitter.com/Icono_Clast
0 Kudos
679 Views
1
Report
Conversationalist

If you visited the link above, skip this.
Here are the words at that link:

 

If the legality of safe abortions were the decision of each state and if only Alaska and Hawai‘i allow the procedure, what words of wisdom do you have for a matronly minimum wage couple in Miami for the Mandatory Parenthood such a policy would impose?

____________________________________
Icono Clast
http://IClast.net/
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/iclast
https://twitter.com/Icono_Clast
0 Kudos
647 Views
0
Report
Silver Conversationalist

Now that we have DNA testing it's much easier to prove paternity and hold the father fiscally responsible. Sometimes the law is difficult to enforce, but it is the law. So if the father wants to abort the pregnancy the mother can refuse and legally make the father share the financial burden.

 

I'm missing the argument here.

 

 

 

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Honored Social Butterfly


@Loulit wrote:

Now that we have DNA testing it's much easier to prove paternity and hold the father fiscally responsible. Sometimes the law is difficult to enforce, but it is the law. So if the father wants to abort the pregnancy the mother can refuse and legally make the father share the financial burden.

 

I'm missing the argument here.

 

 

I am not sure I understand your point. 


 

0 Kudos
628 Views
6
Report
Super Contributor


@Richva wrote:

@Loulit wrote:

Now that we have DNA testing it's much easier to prove paternity and hold the father fiscally responsible. Sometimes the law is difficult to enforce, but it is the law. So if the father wants to abort the pregnancy the mother can refuse and legally make the father share the financial burden.

 

I'm missing the argument here.

 

 

I am not sure I understand your point. 


 


You're right.  You are missing the argument.  We're discussing what should be, not what is.  But I agree with what you said.   "Sometimes the law is difficult to enforce, but it is the law."

 

I can live with that.  If it's the law, live with it or change the law.  The problem today is too many people only want to abide by the laws that benefit them or they happen to like for whatever reason.  All the nonsense going around about the SCOTUS nomination is the perfect example.  Every single nomination in history of this country has been handled according to the rules set up in the Constitution.  But since those rules don't benefit the Democrats, they're all whining about it.

 

 

 

0 Kudos
676 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

EricH3 opined:

Every single nomination in history of this country has been handled according to the rules set up in the Constitution.  But since those rules don't benefit the Democrats, they're all whining about it.

 

More GOPer Lies.

President Obama was denied his nomination by Moscow Mitch in 2016 on the grounds it was "less than A YEAR"  (7 months) until the election, and "the people" should have a chance to weigh in on the nomination via the NEXT election. Thus did Moscow's tool strike another blow against American Democracy, and now with Putin's other "Tool" in the White House, Mitch seeks to trap America in a Regressive miasma for the next generation with the election less than a MONTH away.

 

 

 

 

0 Kudos
665 Views
4
Report
Super Contributor


@Olderscout66 wrote:

EricH3 opined:

Every single nomination in history of this country has been handled according to the rules set up in the Constitution.  But since those rules don't benefit the Democrats, they're all whining about it.

 

More GOPer Lies.

President Obama was denied his nomination by Moscow Mitch in 2016 on the grounds it was "less than A YEAR"  (7 months) until the election, and "the people" should have a chance to weigh in on the nomination via the NEXT election. Thus did Moscow's tool strike another blow against American Democracy, and now with Putin's other "Tool" in the White House, Mitch seeks to trap America in a Regressive miasma for the next generation with the election less than a MONTH away.

 

Absolutely incorrect.  But forget about that.  That has to be the single most stupid thing I've ever read.  Bye all.  There are just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many idiots on this site.


 

0 Kudos
684 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

When the truth knocks you down, you get up and face it or, you run awwwwway.

Honored Social Butterfly

@EricH3 

Really! Look on the bright side, if you are leaving then maybe they will leave with you. 
Not nice to call other posters derogatory names. And no need to insult a very knowledgeable poster. 

Honored Social Butterfly

One thing that i forgot to ad in this discussion. I would appreciate that men should have the courtesy not to discuss an issue that  seems to be not too knowledable   like abortions  I would appreciate that they would leave that discussion to us women, We are the ones that are affected by this issue and should be the ones that discuss and make decisions about abortions.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

If many think that I have been extremely hard of the male specie, I will not apologize.
For too many years I worked at the District Attorneys office dealing with custody, paternity and child support issues. and I learned a lot.
I learned about the single mothers that could not collect any child support because they so called father of their children did whatever was necessary to avoid paying a penny.
I learned about the times that i had to enforce DNA testing on those men that knowingly denied the paternity of their own children.
I learned how many times I had to take to the court child support issues to make companies enforce our child support collection.
I learned the amount of times i had in my office men complaining that they needed the money to fund their n ew families. and could not afford to pay child support.
I learned about the dead beat dad that chose to either disappear or even work for cash so that we could not find their real income.in order to   avoid the child support..
I leaned about the men that would rather go to jail than pay child support
So you all will have to excuse me if I seem to be not a good listener when it comes to their rights about the pregnancies of women

no name
Trusted Social Butterfly

For all of our history, our anti-abortion (Pro Life) folks have never been against abortion as long as it was done in the shadows, out of sight, and not talked about. Why? They knew better that to say anything about "the prerogative" of our upper income women and girls to privately go to a doctor's office and get an abortion "on demand".

 

When abortion was illegal, it was that way. Now it is legal, it is that way. Make it illegal again and it will still be that way.

 

If it were legal and done in-the-shadows, out-of-sight, and not-talked-about.... our anti-abortion (Pro Life) folks would disappear.

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly

A lot of focus on abortions...why not more focus on planning, education, and prevention to avoid abortions. 

Like wearing a seat belt to prevent injuries. Preventing forest fires, before they become raging infernos. Stop smoking to help prevent more serious ailments. 
Why not more emphasis on “pre” versus 

“post” issues. Help to prevent abortions. 

0 Kudos
553 Views
0
Report
Silver Conversationalist

Theories are all well and good but at some point we need to return to real life. Women have been aborting pregnancies since monogamy was invented and they're not going to stop now, laws or no laws.

 

However, the number of abortions has been steadily decreasing from 30 per 1,000 women (15-44) in1980 to 12 per 1,000 women (15-44) in 2016.

 

You can tell teenagers to have responsible sex but they're teenagers and irresponsible by definition. You're better off putting a bowl of free condoms in the school nurse's office. But try to do that and the religious right will scream bloody murder. Some denominations insist on abstinance and many parents do as well. I wish them luck. The whole contraceptives in schools issue is a thorny swamp.

 

I'm an old man and don't know what's happening in schools today, but 40-50 years ago every young male who could have sex was having sex. Giving them free condoms would not have encouraged them to have sex. Their sex drive was at 11 already. 

 

 

 

 

 

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Silver Conversationalist

Life begins after coffee.

 

 

 

 

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Honored Social Butterfly

 When we treat women as breeders..no better than animals....thereon is the problem. 

 Are women so expendable that . there would be no greater authority than religion backed by the govt's law and good  FELLOWS   of the American legal system but  not to protect  the women's rights  involved.   

 Each yr in the U.S., about 700 women die of pregnancy-related complications and 52,000 experience emergencies such as acute renal failure, shock, respiratory distress, aneurysms and heart surgery and there are thousands of miscarriages. . An additional 34,000 barely avoid death. (CDC report )      Anti-choice laws are   dangerous to the health and well-being of women.   

 Miscarriage or SPONTANEOUS ABORTION occurrs in 20% of pregnancies.   . One Indiana woman  created the Facebook page { Periods for Pence }  where she encourages others to call the governor’s office to report their periods, since they could technically be having a miscarriage. “I would certainly hate for any of my fellow Hoosier women to be at risk of penalty if they do not ‘properly dispose’ of this or report it,” she says (and accued of having an abortion along with her doctor.    


Super Contributor

I have mixed emotions about abortion.  I've heard the arguments about a woman's right to choose but there are other lives involved.  I've heard the arguments about when life really begins and I could probably go either way.  But what about the other party involved?  The man it took to create the baby or embryo or fetus or whatever nomenclature you want to use?  Should the man get a choice?  And if not, is the man absolved of any responsibility if the pregnancy goes full-term?  For example, should it be his choice whether or not he wants to pay child support?

0 Kudos
459 Views
20
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@EricH3 wrote:

I have mixed emotions about abortion.  I've heard the arguments about a woman's right to choose but there are other lives involved.  I've heard the arguments about when life really begins and I could probably go either way.  But what about the other party involved?  The man it took to create the baby or embryo or fetus or whatever nomenclature you want to use?  Should the man get a choice?  And if not, is the man absolved of any responsibility if the pregnancy goes full-term?  For example, should it be his choice whether or not he wants to pay child support?


The men did have a choice, though.   They could use contraception each and every time they have sex, and then they'd never had to face a situation when a partner may choose (or require) an abortion.  Condoms and spermicide together are 98% effective.  

 

Legally, child support is about what's in the best interest of the child.  So if the child exists, both parents are financially responsible.  Again, this is something men can avoid by using birth control consistently.  Having control over their own bodies.    This would, in theory, reduce pregnancies to two committed partners who have chosen to get pregnant.  That alone would reduce the number of abortions exponentially.

Super Contributor


@ManicProgressive wrote:

@EricH3 wrote:

I have mixed emotions about abortion.  I've heard the arguments about a woman's right to choose but there are other lives involved.  I've heard the arguments about when life really begins and I could probably go either way.  But what about the other party involved?  The man it took to create the baby or embryo or fetus or whatever nomenclature you want to use?  Should the man get a choice?  And if not, is the man absolved of any responsibility if the pregnancy goes full-term?  For example, should it be his choice whether or not he wants to pay child support?


The men did have a choice, though.   They could use contraception each and every time they have sex, and then they'd never had to face a situation when a partner may choose (or require) an abortion.  Condoms and spermicide together are 98% effective.  

 

And women have the same choice.  But we're discussing a case where BOTH parties didn't make that choice.  And my question is, if you don't want men to have a choice in what happens next, why should they be responsible for what the woman chooses?


 

0 Kudos
498 Views
15
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png