Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP should stand up for millions of Members who have little or no protection when buying RVs!

Message 1 of 5

Re: RV Warranties-AARP Needs to Lobby for Laws Requiring Longer RV (Recreational Vehicle) Warranties

Most importantly, it is apparent that the vast majority of the millions of RV owners and users ("RVers") of recreational vehicles ("RV"s), including motorized and towables) are AARP Members.  Therefore, proposing and supporting laws to mandatorily extend RV warranties should be a major AARP goal.  As more and more RVers are living in their RV full time, this topic should become more and more relevant to AARP.

Regarding the comment about the poor construction of RVs, I can't agree more.  When purchased new RV, most RVs come with no operating/instruction manual for the RV or for any of the equipment provided with the RV.  Moreover, there is no wiring schematic, none of the wiring is color coded, fuses are not marked to indicate what electronics they protect, all of which is reasonably necessary for the proper, safe operation and repair of the RV. 

In addition, unlike car warranties, RV Warranties typically do not cover (i.e., exclude) the parts supplied by all of the manufacturers' subcontractors ("Subs").  So, sometimes in order to have a warranty item repaired, the RVer oftentimes has to deal with multiple parties, including the manufacturer and one or more of its Subs. 

Even if the RV's Manufacturer does provide a 1-year warranty, it often takes months to receive parts, one cannot get a service appointment with the Manufacturer's Authorized Dealer for a month or two, or both! Sometimes there simply is no Manufacturer's Authorized Dealer anywhere near where the warranted breakdown or problem occurs. These typical types of delays in warranty repairs reduce the real or effective time the warranty is in effect, in the sense that if you can't use your RV, ostensibly nothing can go wrong.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP should stand up for millions of Members who have little or no protection when buying RVs!

Message 2 of 5
I am close enough to the heartland of RV manufacturing ( and manufactured housing too ) to know a lot of the people who work there at all levels ( at least I i knew them when i was working age ) . All these places operate on a chaos theory of manufacturing, and i am surprised they offer ANY king of guarantee beyond the power train that is manufactured elsewhere.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

AARP should stand up for millions of Members who have little or no protection when buying RVs!

Closest thing I have to an RV is a used ( bread truck ) set up for plumbing.

The plumbing truck does have a GM WorkHorse chassis on it though, you can buy or get an extended warranty on the GM WorkHorse chassis.

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhomes/motorhome-news/workhorse-boosts-warranty-coverage/

Workhorse Boosts Warranty Coverage

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@gkbatc wrote:

There are dramatically insufficient laws to protect AARP Members who buy RVs.  Most new RVs (even those costing $15,000 to $300,000 and more) only have a 1-year warranty, whereas anyone buying even the least expensive new car will get a 3-year, 36k-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.  The horror stories are innumerable, concerning retirees (most assuredly AARP members) who purchased their dream retirement homes on wheels, only to find their dreams had turned into nightmares. 

It is well known that whenever state legislatures have taken up the gauntlet to pass laws to protect RV consumers, the multi-million dollar RV manufacturers have sent their many lobbyists to those states.  Unfortunately, this has resulted in little or no legislation having been passed to protect RV consumers.  

Considering the exceedingly large, and ever growing, number of AARP Members who are attempting to enjoy their retirement using their RVs, this is an important, critical campaign on which AARP needs to weigh in and flex its incredible influence and muscle.

Contact AARP about this. Could be they might set up some type of discount program for members which has some of the things you want to see in RV. Give it a try. Good luck.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP should stand up for millions of Members who have little or no protection when buying RVs!

Message 5 of 5

There are dramatically insufficient laws to protect AARP Members who buy RVs.  Most new RVs (even those costing $15,000 to $300,000 and more) only have a 1-year warranty, whereas anyone buying even the least expensive new car will get a 3-year, 36k-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.  The horror stories are innumerable, concerning retirees (most assuredly AARP members) who purchased their dream retirement homes on wheels, only to find their dreams had turned into nightmares. 

It is well known that whenever state legislatures have taken up the gauntlet to pass laws to protect RV consumers, the multi-million dollar RV manufacturers have sent their many lobbyists to those states.  Unfortunately, this has resulted in little or no legislation having been passed to protect RV consumers.  

Considering the exceedingly large, and ever growing, number of AARP Members who are attempting to enjoy their retirement using their RVs, this is an important, critical campaign on which AARP needs to weigh in and flex its incredible influence and muscle.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors