Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A triple-amputee military vet’s GoFundMe has raised more than $11 million for Trump’s border wal

Message 21 of 47

@H2Oh wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@H2Oh wrote:

Just imagine if someone decided to start a GoFundMe campaign to help homeless veterans. You know, the people that the right always uses as an excuse for why we shouldn't help refugees, or poor Americans. Or have universal access to health care. Or good schools. Or ... well, you get the picture.

Just imagine...  It is a disabled veteran that did start this Go Fund Me account that has already raised over $14.1M in just 4 days.  

BTW, Anyone can take action and start a Go Fund Me account...  Just go to gofundme.com and follow the prompts.  Give it a try.

So why don't all of you rightwingers who weep and moan about homeless vets do it? Why do you use homeless vets as an excuse for why we can't have anything nice or even decent? How does a wall help the poor, homeless veterans, schoolchildren, or refugees from wars we created? 

It's the hypocrisy I'm objecting to here ... which you conveniently ignore.

Well this disabled veteran does not weep and moan about homeless vets, we actually give to chairities that are vet focused.  So what else have I done that offends you?

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A triple-amputee military vet’s GoFundMe has raised more than $11 million for Trump’s border wal

Message 22 of 47

@H2Oh wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@H2Oh wrote:

Just imagine if someone decided to start a GoFundMe campaign to help homeless veterans. You know, the people that the right always uses as an excuse for why we shouldn't help refugees, or poor Americans. Or have universal access to health care. Or good schools. Or ... well, you get the picture.

Just imagine...  It is a disabled veteran that did start this Go Fund Me account that has already raised over $14.1M in just 4 days.  

BTW, Anyone can take action and start a Go Fund Me account...  Just go to gofundme.com and follow the prompts.  Give it a try.

So why don't all of you rightwingers who weep and moan about homeless vets do it? Why do you use homeless vets as an excuse for why we can't have anything nice or even decent? How does a wall help the poor, homeless veterans, schoolchildren, or refugees from wars we created? 

It's the hypocrisy I'm objecting to here ... which you conveniently ignore.

"homeless vets"???  "the poor"???  "schoolchildren"????  "refugees"????

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 47

Border wall ALONE wouldn’t stop illegal migration or drugs. But walls funnel traffic to monitored entry points.

Airports have barriers to keep people from getting around TSA checkpoints.

If we use barriers to keep air travel safe, why wouldn’t we use them to keep country safe?

Marco Rubio

12/21/2018

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 47

Mickstuder,

My small community is also getting Robo calls. Stating that it is everyone's patriotic duty to support this go fund me page. I am sure that my little area of New Jersey, isn't the only Targeted area. I have received 2 calls, these calls and posts started showing up last night. I just find this whole thing very strange. The area people have reported calls and posts to Next Door, is Eatontown to Long Branch, NJ.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 47

Mickstuder,

Do you happen to have any positive ideas for shutting down this Go Fund Me Page? I read the article from the New York Post, Panjandrum posted the link to. It appears, posts on the Go Fund Me, are showing up even on Next Door. People seem to think because this was featured on Fox News, and started by a veteran they should support the project. I am concerned, many of my neighbors are more senior then me, and are pledging thousands of dollars. I'm willing and ready for any help you or anyone else can give me.

Thank you!  Nancy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 47

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

Oops.

Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), chair of the House Judiciary Committee and a longtime proponent of tighter border security, hailed the vet’s “impressive” campaign, even as he expressed reservations about allowing private citizens to govern with their wallets.

“I think it’s admirable, and I think that the country should respond,” Goodlatte told The Post. “Obviously, we can’t let citizens raise money and say, ‘The government will spend my money on this purpose.’ ”

According to the Treasury Department, general donations to the feds are directed to a “Gifts to the United States” fund, set aside for “general use” by the federal government or “budget needs.”

https://nypost.com/2018/12/20/border-wall-gofundme-may-need-to-issue-refunds-after-millions-raised/a...

I'd be surprised if Ken K had not discovered this long before he began his scam. I would NOT be surprised if the next we hear from our RW darling will be in a postcard from Sao Tome'.

Negativity as always. The guy tried to do something positive. You may not like his goal but there is no need to be insulting.

It is true, any money raised that way would have to go into some general fund - citizens cannot direct the government to do things by raising the money. However, once in that general fund do you not suppose the President would find a way to spend it as it was intended with no small islands involved?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 47

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

You can build any kind of wall you want but not along MY border. We have to live here and changing the water ways and the migration patterns of animals  is just not acceptable. Especially to keep the hard working migrants looking for a sanctuary out. Those men and women work harder than any of the people who come down from up north. 

Do you object to those hard workers following the visa process?

What VISA Process?

Oh - you mean the one where 10,000 Visas that were allocated to Australians with - "Special Occupations Skills & a Minimum of a BA were transferred by the Lame Duck Speaker of the House to his Family & Friends in Ireland instead?

Source - https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/14/paul-ryan-congress-irish-visas-bill-1032517

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 47

@Richva wrote:

You can build any kind of wall you want but not along MY border. We have to live here and changing the water ways and the migration patterns of animals  is just not acceptable. Especially to keep the hard working migrants looking for a sanctuary out. Those men and women work harder than any of the people who come down from up north. 

Do you object to those hard workers following the visa process?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 47

Panjandrum,

Thank you for posting the link to the New York Post article. Last night, my local Next Door, a community bulletin board, was alive with The Go Fund Me page.

The post featured the video feed from Fox News. Apparently, a local veteran posted it in hopes of helping fund the wall, also supporting a fellow veteran in this endeavor. Well, you can imagine the Text storm this set off. I was able to copy and paste the link for the Next Door, thanks to your time and research.

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 47

@H2Oh wrote:

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors