On Memorial Day weekend, we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice. AARP also offers resources and news for military veterans and families.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A third of Americans say blackface is ok

Message 1 of 15

Back when TV was a novelty in the early 1950's, I remember watching Al Jolson in The Jazz Singer, but don't recall his blackface character was a racist stereotype. Amos n' Andy was a "buddy movie" and again the humor didn't seem racist - one was a rational hard working guy, his friend not so much.

Fast Foreward 25 years

As for the recent furor over youthful indiscretions in Virginia in the mid 1980's, our white neighbors were pretty racist when I lived there  so if anyone is to blame it was the "Southern Heritage" Republicans are so hot to preserve and defend. The accused have "grown up" and show no sign of racism as adults

Fast foreward another 25 years

As for the students of Covertry Catholic High School in 2019, they're still a bunch of racist bigots as are the facilty and administration who allowed them to use "blackface" to taunt black students on opposing sports teams. Seems the "Hebrew Israelites" had them pegged, but that does not excuse their racist remarks either.

Point being, it's not so much what happened in the past, it's what you're doing NOW that should be of paramont importance. And NOW using blackface to taunt people of color should NOT be tolerated.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

One Halloween I dressed as a hobo.  I think it is safe to say nobody is going to be opening their door to a trick or treater dressed as a homeless person with a sign hung around their neck saying "need candy & dollars".

My grandfather (who at 12 carried wood for the stove in Wyatt Earp's Witchita sheriff's office)...used to play word games with us grandchildren.  "You look like a ni - - er, you smell like a ni - - er and you feel like a ni - - er.  With your eyes, your nose and your hands."  That was the simple lesson we all clearly understood about being human.  When my mom heard me repeating it to a friend, she took me aside and instructed I should say "like an African" instead.

Racists are addicted to their superiority fix, deny social evolution and fortunately are a dying breed.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

If they grew up in a society that never taught that it is racist and discrimination, than they have no excuse now not to know better.  I do believe that there are some societies that are just stuck in some time lapse where they are now finding out via social media of old dogma/traits that were once something that was just the way it is, is no longer.

It certainly would help in the current President and leaders would inform there base that this is wrong.

We will never heal that wound of society until it is recognized and validated as a wrong in time. Peel off the skin layer and we are all the same. But do some have that ability to think on a more deeper level (below skin/sex)? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

The most significant difference between David Duke and Louis Farrikhan is the GOPer Toad POTUS embraced David Duke and his followers while no Democratic President has ever done the same for Farrikhan.  And no Democratic Politician has sought the support of racist bigots since the Civil Rights Act when the Dixiecrats left the party.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@fangoh45 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I would have hoped people would be smarter than this. Use deductive reasoning skills or something.  But no. Another reason to explicitly educate our children about racism and why it’s so wrong.

Which means.....talking about it and not sweeping it under the rug.

And yet one Con claims Repubs "don't see color....."  To quote another, "too funny".

You are right, Manic.....sweeping something under the rug is only cosmetic, we need to discuss the issues of race openly, honestly and address the unnecessary hostility of some.  And stop teaching hate.

Agree. We must however, call out racism on every side. Sadly, it is a two way street.There are the David Dukes and the Louis Farrakhan's of the world. Is one more evil than the other? Seems, only one bad side on this forum gets the negative press.

To put it simplistically, racism is prejudice plus power. Farrakhan is a bigot and he’s antisemitic.  But he’s not a racist.

Because he has no power over you. He may break laws but he’s not making laws. 

Not excusing his actions or words. Just showing why people tend to focus on historic institutionalized racism instead. Which, whether we like it or not, was overwhelmingly implemented and continues to be perpetuated by whites. 

Well put, Manic.  You are 100% accurate....though it's troubling that after all these years, some still needed to be educated on the matter. My guess is some don't bother to become informed as they prefer to hate;  I for one, thank you for your efforts to teach others and help them to understand.

Image result for standing ovation gif

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

@fangoh45 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I would have hoped people would be smarter than this. Use deductive reasoning skills or something.  But no. Another reason to explicitly educate our children about racism and why it’s so wrong.

And yet one Con claims Repubs "don't see color....."  To quote another, "too funny".

You are right, Manic.....sweeping something under the rug is only cosmetic, we need to discuss the issues of race openly, honestly and address the unnecessary hostility of some.  And stop teaching hate.

Agree. We must however, call out racism on every side. Sadly, it is a two way street.There are the David Dukes and the Louis Farrakhan's of the world. Is one more evil than the other? Seems, only one bad side on this forum gets the negative press.

To put it simplistically, racism is prejudice plus power. Farrakhan is a bigot and he’s antisemitic.  But he’s not a racist.

Because he has no power over you. He may break laws but he’s not making laws. 

Not excusing his actions or words. Just showing why people tend to focus on historic institutionalized racism instead. Which, whether we like it or not, was overwhelmingly implemented and continues to be perpetuated by whites. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

@fangoh45 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Agree. We must however, call out racism on every side. Sadly, it is a two way street.There are the David Dukes and the Louis Farrakhan's of the world. Farrakhan?  Yeah, he's been starting a LOT of trouble these days.....Is one more evil than the other? Seems, only one bad side on this forum gets the negative press.  This forum?  PuhLEESE....  This forum is a very small minuscule of the views in America. Many Dems are outraged about the actions of the Virginia Gov. and Attorney General and we saw not much concern expressed by Repubs when Iowa Stephen King spewed his hate (and note, not a word from Cons here.....or did I just miss it?)  It's a two-way street alright.....but one side is quite congested with traffic while the other is full of pedestrians looking for a place to hide.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

A third of Americans say blackface is ok for Halloween costumes

About a third of Americans say blackface is sometimes OK for a Halloween costume, according to a Pew Research Center poll that reveals divides on the issue among political lines.

Wearing blackface is always acceptable for Halloween, 15% of respondents say, while another 19% said it's sometimes acceptable.

The survey was conducted mostly before recent controversies over blackface roiled politics in Virginia, where the governor and attorney general both admitted to darkening their skin as part of costumes. And there's a long line of politicians and celebrities who've gotten flack for wearing blackface.

The issue has sparked debate since it was discovered that Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam's medical school yearbook featured a picture of a man in blackface next to a person in a KKK outfit. Northam also admitted to wearing blackface to a party. Separately, the state's attorney general, Mark Herring, also a Democrat, admitted to wearing blackface to a party in college.

Now, according to Pew, barely more than a slight majority -- 53% -- of all American adults think its unacceptable for a white person to use blackface in a costume.
Blackface dates back to minstrel shows

The origins of blackface date back to the minstrel shows of mid-19th century. White performers darkened their skin with polish and cork, put on tattered clothing and exaggerated their features to look stereotypically "black."

The first minstrel shows mimicked enslaved Africans on Southern plantations, depicting black people as lazy, ignorant, cowardly or hypersexual, according to the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC).

The performances were intended to be funny to white audiences. But to black people, they were demeaning and hurtful.

Differences along political, racial lines

In the Pew survey, Republicans (and Republican-leaning independents) were much more likely to see blackface as acceptable than Democrats. A quarter of Republicans said it's always acceptable and half of Republicans said it was always or sometimes OK. Only 21% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents said it's always or sometimes OK.

And some Repubs lament the fact many believe the GOP is the party most racists are attracted to/support and complain Blacks support the Democrats. Shocking!

Perhaps if Republicans would stop supporting and electing racists, people would stop automatically equating GOP with racism.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

That one third of Americans who say that a white wearing blackface for halloween or other costume reasons is ok - tends to be - just coincidentally - the third that doesn't like to see black and other non-white faces standing in line to vote...

Just a coincidence, mind you...

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views