Honored Social Butterfly

A surtax for "The Wall"

Trump's border wall is projected to cost $70 Billion to build and $150 Million a year to maintain. Since Mexico is not paying for "the wall" and Trump is threatening to close down the government to get one, I propose we add a new line item to the 1040 form for a "wall surtax".  

Actually, we should have the forms printed as "Trump's Wall Surtax" on that line. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Well if they can't go on public assistance when they're not working they'll probably leave, unless of course they get work visas. Then... they can get other jobs during the off season.

I'm not dreaming.... and I care about these hard working people. However if they're latched onto the teat of American generosity, they're stealing from working people. They are a numerical minority, but they're real.

The vast majority of our current "illegal" worker population had been migrating back and forth the boreder for generations. Then jrbush "closed" the border, and a great many decided to stay here where the jobs were. If you think Lemontop can devise a less onerous entry/exit process than jr had, you're not thinking very hard.

You can confirm from eligibility rules posted on government websites that unauthorized immigrants are NOT eligible for major aid programs including Medicaid, the joint federal-state health coverage for people in poverty; Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which provides cash assistance to the impoverished elderly or disabled; Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which used to be food stamps; housing assistance from the Department of Housing and Urban Development; and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), which provides grants for state-administered family assistance programs like child care, cash assistance or counseling. 

You can also confirm they very often have Federal Income and FICA and State income tax withheld from their paychecks, which they can't get back.

In short, the reality is these 10 million or so WORKERS are  providing huge profits for the ones who hire them and contributing to all those welfare programs they cannot receive.

So the arguments about how they "cost taxpayers money" are baseless and a thin disguise for racism.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Well if they can't go on public assistance when they're not working they'll probably leave, unless of course they get work visas. Then... they can get other jobs during the off season.

I'm not dreaming.... and I care about these hard working people. However if they're latched onto the teat of American generosity, they're stealing from working people. They are a numerical minority, but they're real.

Go after employers hiring illegals with fines large enough to make them stop hiring them. Ask Trump about that.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm for that but there's legal and illegal ways to do things. Most co-ops follow the rules for work visas that I know. The most common violation by agricultural co-ops is using workers with recently expired visas.

There are very few "criminals" in agriculture, both employers and employees... the work is too hard and time consuming. Can't speak for corporate farms but I know corporate farms are rather irresponsible about the environment.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The GOP would go for it IF it only taxed 99% of us !!!

Honored Social Butterfly

How about making it a voluntary contribution, like the public campaign finance option?   😄 

Honored Social Butterfly

@NerdyMom wrote:

How about making it a voluntary contribution, like the public campaign finance option?   😄 

Wow. Talk about democracy in action.  Plus, they can only build what has been funded!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png