Honored Social Butterfly

A surtax for "The Wall"

Trump's border wall is projected to cost $70 Billion to build and $150 Million a year to maintain. Since Mexico is not paying for "the wall" and Trump is threatening to close down the government to get one, I propose we add a new line item to the 1040 form for a "wall surtax".  

Actually, we should have the forms printed as "Trump's Wall Surtax" on that line. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump's proposed fence/wall  will cover only 700 - 900 miles of the 2,000 mile border. How do you stop illegal activity from trucking over 1,100 miles ?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The border is not a flat line on a map with roads going everywhere. There are many areas with natural barriers that are impossible to pass by foot no less by truck. LOL You may wanna check the geography.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
The border is not a flat line on a map with roads going everywhere. There are many areas with natural barriers that are impossible to pass by foot no less by truck. LOL You may wanna check the geography.

And yet, no mention of those places being excluded from wall construction. This started as a bad idea......it continues to be a bad idea......and now it is a bad idea WE have to pay for. 

Put a separate line in the tax returns "Payment for Trump's wall". 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ Richva

Wrong... see previous post.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You're just too smart for me fish, I was born at night, but not last night. There are area's due to cost that will not be bordered , but are still accessible by all terrain venicles. You dont think the drug cartels have the capability ?

Between the 1,200 - 1,300 miles of non bordered area , tunnels , drones etc. the Cartels will not be stopped as long as the demand is there !

LOL 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You're a hoot. Clearly one of us had never been along the border or understands topography. You've already proven you're not willing to do any independent research so here's a link. Very unpolitical. Educate yourself.
https://calmatters.org/articles/6-things-to-know-about-the-us-mexico-border/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just taking a moment to point out that Trump promised the Mexicans would pay for the wall (does that include the $150/year maintenance?) and now he is threatening to close the government unless taxpayers pay for it. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Just taking a moment to point out that Trump promised the Mexicans would pay for the wall (does that include the $150/year maintenance?) and now he is threatening to close the government unless taxpayers pay for it. 

Donald's base will relentlessly defend his lies.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Get rid of all illegal aliens.

Stop giving free help to everyone, no one appreciates a gift. Things of value are earned no one truly appreciates something given to them.

Give jobs to all the people on the street corners with cardboard signs saying "God bless you" (and thanks for the free money), picking the fruits and vegetables.

I believe even at minimum wage people would/should still be eligible for welfare and/or food stamps.

1-Require all current government assistance recipients to reapply and reinterview (with multiple anonymous interviewees to avoid fraud) for assistance. 2-provide government education to all current recipients, 3-require recipients to seek and accept minimum wage jobs to continue receiving assistance. This would create a lot more jobs for the interviewers and the agencies.

This would put people to work doing the minimum wage jobs created by the absence of the aliens.

This would get the work done for the farmers and businesses.

This would improve the financial status of America overall. This is a country that used to pay a noticeable interest on both savings accounts and checking accounts. When more than 1% interest on anything was not history making as it is now with .007% returns.  

This would get all the undeserved and uneligible off of 'our' (those of us who pay for them) benefit programs and reduce the obligation for the good people that are working (if able), and contributing.

These are suggestions from a man who voted for Trump and still believe he is a great president, he will be remembered in history as a Terrific American and the man who turned this country around (like prior great presidents have done) once everyone 1-accepts that he IS the president and stand behind him, 2-stop trying to find what's wrong with him, look for the good and stand behind him. Let him, the legislative branch and the judicial branch get something done for America. I didn't like O'bama but I stood behind him as president and (as a veteran) as our commander-in-chief. I didn't like Clinton but I stood behind him as president and (as a veteran) as our commander-in-chief. I want everyone to mature and work together and make America great again. Regardless of what you thought of The President's rhetoric as a candidate, he is now president, and it may have been a campaign strategy. He did after all get millions of perhaps undecided voters and millions of voters not content with the status quo, to go with him and put him in the White House.

Honored Social Butterfly

@pj77119996 wrote:

Stop giving free help to everyone, no one appreciates a gift. Things of value are earned no one truly appreciates something given to them.

Give jobs to all the people on the street corners with cardboard signs saying "God bless you" (and thanks for the free money), picking the fruits and vegetables.

I believe even at minimum wage people would/should still be eligible for welfare and/or food stamps.

1-Require all current government assistance recipients to reapply and reinterview (with multiple anonymous interviewees to avoid fraud) for assistance. 2-provide government education to all current recipients, 3-require recipients to seek and accept minimum wage jobs to continue receiving assistance. This would create a lot more jobs for the interviewers and the agencies.

This would put people to work doing the minimum wage jobs created by the absence of the aliens.

This would improve the financial status of America overall. This is a country that used to pay a noticeable interest on both savings accounts and checking accounts. When more than 1% interest on anything was not history making as it is now with .007% returns.  

This would get all the undeserved and uneligible off of 'our' (those of us who pay for them) benefit programs and reduce the obligation for the good people that are working (if able), and contributing.

These are suggestions from a man who voted for Trump and still believe he is a great president, he will be remembered in history as a Terrific American and the man who turned this country around (like prior great presidents have done) once everyone 1-accepts that he IS the president and stand behind him, 2-stop trying to find what's wrong with him, look for the good and stand behind him. Let him, the legislative branch and the judicial branch get something done for America. I didn't like O'bama but I stood behind him as president and (as a veteran) as our commander-in-chief. I didn't like Clinton but I stood behind him as president and (as a veteran) as our commander-in-chief. I want everyone to mature and work together and make America great again. Regardless of what you thought of The President's rhetoric as a candidate, he is now president, and it may have been a campaign strategy. He did after all get millions of perhaps undecided voters and millions of voters not content with the status quo, to go with him and put him in the White House.

People residing in this country are not eligible for welfare payments no matter how many times this fake news is repeated. Every state and the federal government has teams of people checking eligibility every day.  If we assume a 5% rate of this kind of fraud (which is WAY high), making 100% of the people reapply would be chaos and typical Trump incompetence. 

Forcing people to work is a lovely bumper sticker.  They have tried that with the homeless populations and, surprise, they did more damage than picking. 

Simple solutions to complex problems are stupid.  Complex problems created because your Republican lawmakers cannot govern is also stupid. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@pj77119996 wrote:

People residing in this country are not eligible for welfare payments no matter how many times this fake news is repeated. Every state and the federal government has teams of people checking eligibility every day.  If we assume a 5% rate of this kind of fraud (which is WAY high), making 100% of the people reapply would be chaos and typical Trump incompetence. 

Forcing people to work is a lovely bumper sticker.  They have tried that with the homeless populations and, surprise, they did more damage than picking. 

Simple solutions to complex problems are stupid.  Complex problems created because your Republican lawmakers cannot govern is also stupid. 

You cannot force people to work it's the gainst the law because it's called slavery

So it begins.
Honored Social Butterfly

Once upon a time, States helped defray the cost of their mental health custodial care facilities by having the less afflicted patients operate "truck farms" to supply their own dining facilities and sell commercially.

Then the legislature of Alabama modified this process, turning their non-white inmates into slaves, bartering their labor to the highest bidder, and SCOTUS ruled that being in a mental institution was prima facia evidence one did NOT have the ability to give "informed consent", and the practice was banned Nation-wide.

This, plus the drastic Republican reductions in Federal grants to the States and Reagan killing Revenue sharing totally, led to a sever funding problem in the mental health programs everywhere. Reagan and the GOPers seized on the problem in typical fashon and simply turned all the non-criminal inmates loose, on the assumption they would all show up to get their meds at the local clinics. Dems, duped into seeing this as a move to enhance the independence and freedom of the mentally challenged went along, and now the folks once known as mental patients are now known as the crazy homeless people who live under the bridge, or words to that effect.

Now we have another Republican bright idea that somehow we can magically transport the millions of people, mostly kids and the disabled, from the cities they live in to the fields formerly harvested by 5-7 million or so undocumented workers who had done this for a living for decades.

I see this being an even bigger disaster than their "solution" for inmate labor in mental institutions.

Honored Social Butterfly

CCC worked pretty well in the 30's.

But I agree you can't force people to work, but you can force people to pay taxes for people who won't work. Seems counter intuitive right?

Not everyone capable of working can actually work "outside" or do physical labor, but we are all capable of contributing to our own survival, in some way. If you can feed yourself, still think and speak, you have a usable skill.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Now that the crops are rotting ! What's the answer ? Have inmates pick the crops as punishment ?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Why don't 'Donald' pay for it, it's his idea !!!!  Those that support him in it can donate if they want. I wonder if any of the ones here that support it would car to donate?

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Why don't 'Donald' pay for it, it's his idea !!!!  Those that support him in it can donate if they want. I wonder if any of the ones here that support it would car to donate?

Trump could not afford to build it even if his net worth was what he says it is. I don't think it is and that is why he won't release his tax returns. Plus, all the loans from the Russians. 

Honored Social Butterfly

He doesn't have to release them , hopefully Mueller is covering all the bases !!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@mandm84 wrote:

He doesn't have to release them , hopefully Mueller is covering all the bases !!!

At some point, Mueller will subpoena the tax returns and then the House committee will want to see them. Once the Republicans in Congress get their hands on them they will be in the press by noon. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Image: The net-impact as a percent of GDP of implementing a border adjustment. Source: [Bloomberg]

One of the countries that the United States has a trade deficit with is Mexico. In 2016, the size of this deficit was $63.2 billion. [11] If this level of deficit were to continue and if these net imports were taxed at 20%, this would generate $12.6 billion in additional tax dollars per year. Given that high estimates for the cost of the wall range between $15 and $25 billion, revenue from the border adjustment tax coming from Mexico would pay it in no more than two years – Mexico may effectively pay for the wall after all.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Image: The net-impact as a percent of GDP of implementing a border adjustment. Source: [Bloomberg]

One of the countries that the United States has a trade deficit with is Mexico. In 2016, the size of this deficit was $63.2 billion. [11] If this level of deficit were to continue and if these net imports were taxed at 20%, this would generate $12.6 billion in additional tax dollars per year. Given that high estimates for the cost of the wall range between $15 and $25 billion, revenue from the border adjustment tax coming from Mexico would pay it in no more than two years – Mexico may effectively pay for the wall after all.

That was the import tax Ryan proposed and was shot down.  I would have to look and see if your numbers match his doomed proposal but "been there, can't do that"

Follow that with a hint, AMERICANS pay import taxes. Americans pay higher prices. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

That was the import tax Ryan proposed and was shot down.  I would have to look and see if your numbers match his doomed proposal but "been there, can't do that"

Follow that with a hint, AMERICANS pay import taxes. Americans pay higher prices. 

Yup.  Say goodbye to cheap fruits and veggies.  I buy my produce locally.   It's twice the cost of what's in the store.   Make all of America pay those prices and see what happens.  

That's how it used to be.  In 1950 (Make America Great Again), the average household spend 30% of its income on food.   Now we spend less than 15%. Go ahead and increase food costs by messing with the Mexican border.  There will be less money to spend on discretionary products and services, and watch the economy grind to a halt. 

Honored Social Butterfly

NerdyMom posted..

Yup. Say goodbye to cheap fruits and veggies. I buy my produce locally. It's twice the cost of what's in the store. Make all of America pay those prices and see what happens.

===================================================

Gee, I would hate to see that we hire US citizens to pick our produce....you know people on welfare etc.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
NerdyMom posted..

Yup. Say goodbye to cheap fruits and veggies. I buy my produce locally. It's twice the cost of what's in the store. Make all of America pay those prices and see what happens.

Gee, I would hate to see that we hire US citizens to pick our produce....you know people on welfare etc.

What do you think is preventing them from applying for those jobs now? 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
NerdyMom posted..

When you take away $2 in food stamps for every dollar they earn it's hard to keep them incentivized

So it begins.
Honored Social Butterfly

Rich posted..

==================================================

They could apply but many do not want to do "that type of work" when they can get by living off government programs.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Rich posted..

==================================================

They could apply but many do not want to do "that type of work" when they can get by living off government programs.

Sure sure they can go out and work in the 109 degree heat like it is here today and for every dollar they made they will lose $2 in food stamps where is the real incentive for these people to do this

So it begins.
Honored Social Butterfly

MIseker posted...

Sure sure they can go out and work in the 109 degree heat like it is here today and for every dollar they made they will lose $2 in food stamps where is the real incentive for these people to do this
So it begins.

=========================================

"for every dollar they made they will lose $2 in food stamps"...can you back that up?

" 109 degree heat" Like construction workers and people building our roads where it hotter.

We need a wall...its time..walls work.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
MIseker posted...

So it begins.

=========================================

"for every dollar they made they will lose $2 in food stamps"...can you back that up?

" 109 degree heat" Like construction workers and people building our roads where it hotter.

We need a wall...its time..walls work.

Yep, we need a wall around the entire country.

Honored Social Butterfly

Brillant! Well thought out. Forget about Mexico for a minute.

Where safety and security is not an issue ... barriers, fences and walls are not needed. Where safety and security is an issue, show me where we do not build barriers, fences and walls?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png