Ready for your next job? Get a free resume review from AARP Resume Advisor.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A study on FAKE News and Seniors

Message 31 of 40

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "exaggerated" Facebook stories, exaggerated to the point of being fake or misleading, is run by people like Karl Rove. 

I read in a book or a magazine that the Republican Party spent a lot of money (I think millions) on Facbook preparing for the 2016 election. They claimed it was for collecting data and profiling their supporters. Dems have done it in the past, mainly by contacting people through emails and, before that, door-to-door surveys, but Republicans have become very good at it more recently using Facebook.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 40

@Olderscout66 wrote:

IMHO, the most disgusting part of Republican misinformation are the quasi-religeous skreeds claiming Christianity is under seige in America which feed the most pernicious hatred - the same stuff that fueled the Children's Cruisade and the ovens of Treblinka.

It's been going on for YEARS, Scout!  From Business Insider magazine....that overtly biased rag....  LOL!

STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All

Think about THAT!  Watching just Fox which I bet most of the viewers do, makes one more ignorant than someone living under a highway ramp, a shack in WVa without a satellite dish, or an immigrant traveling in a caravan.  Can we build a wall around THESE Fox viewers?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 40

@gordyfl wrote:

I've noticed this for more than 20 years - back in the days of fake viral emails.

I used to politely "Reply" to the fake emails with a fact-check, but, by and large, that didn't stop the fake emails. So, I began "Reply All". That sort of worked, although I lost a few email friends along the way. I was even scolded by some for doing so. (I also learned that most seniors are unaware of "Bcc" when forwarding emails)

The Wasington Post wrote a story on this back in 2011:

Of the 79 chain e-mails about national politics deemed false by PolitiFact since 2007, only four were aimed at Republicans. Almost all of the rest concern Obama or other Democrats. The claims range from daffy (the White House renaming Christmas trees as “holiday trees”) to serious (the health-care law granting all illegal immigrants free care).

Snopes turned up 46 viral e-mails regarding Bush during his eight years in office. By contrast, in just four years as a candidate and as president, Obama has been the subject of 100 such chain e-mails. The difference is not just in number but in kind: Twenty of the 46 Bush e-mails checked by Snopes turned out to be true, and many of these flattered or praised him. Only 10 e-mails about Obama have been true, and almost every one of them has been negative.

80 percent of the political e-mails that vetted over the past decade were written from a conservative point of view. “The use of forwarded e-mail to spread false information around is overwhelmingly a right-wing phenomenon".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-it-comes-to-e-mailed-political-rumors-conservatives-bea...

When Facebook came along, fake stories became rampant. The fake stories were backed up with links to fake news sources. They looked sophisticated. They would have nice graphics, like an American flag or the American Eagle. The name of the website would include the world "Press" or "News", although I found that many seniors wouldn't even click on the link - they would just "Share" the headline. I knew this by just checking the comments - comments like "Kick him out of our country" when, had they clicked on the link and read the story, they would have realized the event occurred in another country.

Young people are sharp. They can recognize Photo-Shop (both photographs and videos). They have been well aware of fake websites for a long time. Unlke seniors, young people don't treat information found on the internet like it's coming from the public library.

There was someone who made a living passing fake stories on Facebook. He died recently, but he and his brother made as much as $10,000 a month during the 2016 election season passing fake stories on Facebook as "clickbait". He had admitted they made most of their money focusing on Trump supporters.

There were also those kids from Macedonia making money the same way.

facebook real news1.jpg@gordyfj - Thanks for the excellent information. Seems a bunch of Seniors hear nonsense on Fox and then when they "confirm" the story by checking Breightbart, it become unshakable Truth. Republicans have been using the self-reenforcing LIE technique for generations, but since they sold Murdock his citizenship it's become a major industry within the media. 

IMHO, the most disgusting part of Republican misinformation are the quasi-religeous skreeds claiming Christianity is under seige in America which feed the most pernicious hatred - the same stuff that fueled the Children's Cruisade and the ovens of Treblinka.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 40

Good info, Gordy....well done.

To further illustrate the point, folks may recall the DC sex trade at the pizza parlor ended up getting another Conservative wacko arrested as he barged in, fired a shot scaring the bejezzes out of everyone.

Sure is a lot of Conservative wacko's these days.....bombers, church shooters, etc.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 40

I've noticed this for more than 20 years - back in the days of fake viral emails.

I used to politely "Reply" to the fake emails with a fact-check, but, by and large, that didn't stop the fake emails. So, I began "Reply All". That sort of worked, although I lost a few email friends along the way. I was even scolded by some for doing so. (I also learned that most seniors are unaware of "Bcc" when forwarding emails)

The Wasington Post wrote a story on this back in 2011:

Of the 79 chain e-mails about national politics deemed false by PolitiFact since 2007, only four were aimed at Republicans. Almost all of the rest concern Obama or other Democrats. The claims range from daffy (the White House renaming Christmas trees as “holiday trees”) to serious (the health-care law granting all illegal immigrants free care).

Snopes turned up 46 viral e-mails regarding Bush during his eight years in office. By contrast, in just four years as a candidate and as president, Obama has been the subject of 100 such chain e-mails. The difference is not just in number but in kind: Twenty of the 46 Bush e-mails checked by Snopes turned out to be true, and many of these flattered or praised him. Only 10 e-mails about Obama have been true, and almost every one of them has been negative.

80 percent of the political e-mails that vetted over the past decade were written from a conservative point of view. “The use of forwarded e-mail to spread false information around is overwhelmingly a right-wing phenomenon".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-it-comes-to-e-mailed-political-rumors-conservatives-bea...

When Facebook came along, fake stories became rampant. The fake stories were backed up with links to fake news sources. They looked sophisticated. They would have nice graphics, like an American flag or the American Eagle. The name of the website would include the world "Press" or "News", although I found that many seniors wouldn't even click on the link - they would just "Share" the headline. I knew this by just checking the comments - comments like "Kick him out of our country" when, had they clicked on the link and read the story, they would have realized the event occurred in another country.

Young people are sharp. They can recognize Photo-Shop (both photographs and videos). They have been well aware of fake websites for a long time. Unlke seniors, young people don't treat information found on the internet like it's coming from the public library.

There was someone who made a living passing fake stories on Facebook. He died recently, but he and his brother made as much as $10,000 a month during the 2016 election season passing fake stories on Facebook as "clickbait". He had admitted they made most of their money focusing on Trump supporters.

There were also those kids from Macedonia making money the same way.

facebook real news1.jpg

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 40

So 'older folks' and Republicans share the most 'fake news'. It's evident here in this group.  Just sayin' ........

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 40

@retiredtraveler wrote:

".....I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.....".

Perhaps I'm not understanding the study results. It sounds like my fellow boomers show a high degree of ignorance, regardless of political affiliation. Am I not understanding this article? 

"Across all age categories, sharing fake news was a relatively rare category. Only 8.5 percent of users in the study shared at least one link from a fake news site. Users who identified as conservative were more likely than users who identified as liberal to share fake news: 18 percent of Republicans shared links to fake news sites, compared to less than 4 percent of Democrats. "

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 40

".....I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.....".

Perhaps I'm not understanding the study results. It sounds like my fellow boomers show a high degree of ignorance, regardless of political affiliation. Am I not understanding this article? 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 40

@afisher wrote:

Interesting.

Across all age categories, sharing fake news was a relatively rare category. Only 8.5 percent of users in the study shared at least one link from a fake news site. Users who identified as conservative were more likely than users who identified as liberal to share fake news: 18 percent of Republicans shared links to fake news sites, compared to less than 4 percent of Democrats. Not at ALL surprising given the sample size here......The researchers attributed this finding largely to studies showing that in 2016, fake news overwhelmingly served to promote Trump’s candidacy.  Yeah like this one......

I hear her brother also lives in Florida.....

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/A-Conservative-Russian-Trump-Troll-in-Denial/m...

But older users skewed the findings: 11 percent of users older than 65 shared a hoax, while just 3 percent of users 18 to 29 did. Facebook users ages 65 and older shared more than twice as many fake news articles than the next-oldest age group of 45 to 65, and nearly seven times as many fake news articles as the youngest age group (18 to 29).

“When we bring up the age finding, a lot of people say, ‘oh yeah, that’s obvious,’” co-author Andrew Guess, a political scientist at Princeton University, told The Verge. “For me, what is pretty striking is that the relationship holds even when you control for party affiliation or ideology. The fact that it’s independent of these other traits is pretty surprising to me. It’s not just being driven by older people being more conservative.”

I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.  Again, those RW'ers posting here prove the accuracy of the study.  They have posted far more "Fake News" stories than any "group" here.....  Just saying..... 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174631/old-people-fake-news-facebook-share-nyu-princeton

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

A study on FAKE News and Seniors

Message 40 of 40

Interesting.

Across all age categories, sharing fake news was a relatively rare category. Only 8.5 percent of users in the study shared at least one link from a fake news site. Users who identified as conservative were more likely than users who identified as liberal to share fake news: 18 percent of Republicans shared links to fake news sites, compared to less than 4 percent of Democrats. The researchers attributed this finding largely to studies showing that in 2016, fake news overwhelmingly served to promote Trump’s candidacy.

But older users skewed the findings: 11 percent of users older than 65 shared a hoax, while just 3 percent of users 18 to 29 did. Facebook users ages 65 and older shared more than twice as many fake news articles than the next-oldest age group of 45 to 65, and nearly seven times as many fake news articles as the youngest age group (18 to 29).

“When we bring up the age finding, a lot of people say, ‘oh yeah, that’s obvious,’” co-author Andrew Guess, a political scientist at Princeton University, told The Verge. “For me, what is pretty striking is that the relationship holds even when you control for party affiliation or ideology. The fact that it’s independent of these other traits is pretty surprising to me. It’s not just being driven by older people being more conservative.”

I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.   https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174631/old-people-fake-news-facebook-share-nyu-princeton

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Replies