Ready for your next job? Get a free resume review from AARP Resume Advisor.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A study on FAKE News and Seniors

Message 21 of 40

Try reading the second sentence again. Then read the third sentence. They indicate that more conservatives share fake news. Is the question whether they ( the conservatives) know or don't know that they are sharing fake news?

That's a good question. Just this morning I went on Facebook and saw a post (a meme) stating that "A senator wants to change our national anthem, and another our national flag. Why don't we just change these senators? I received the post from a Republican Conservative Senior.

I had wondered, if the story is true, who are the two senators? All I did was click on the "Post". Simple. The post showed it was in the Philippines (not the U.S.). Half the comments are not even in the English language. The original poster lived in the Philippines. 

I think the meme is being re-posted by many people here in the U.S. who don't even care to check to find out if it's true, and have little interest in finding out who are the two senators. (They probably assume they must be Liberals). It's just a knee jerk reaction. Same with the ones who commented on the post. 

The more I see stories like this on Facebook, the less I go on Facebook. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 40

@afisher wrote:
Try reading the second sentence again. Then read the third sentence. They indicate that more conservatives share fake news. Is the question whether they ( the conservatives) know or don't know that they are sharing fake news?

Two factors - you are talking about a more Conservative age group, so any results will be leaning to the Conservative side. Second, I'm sure you understand that the term "fake news" is subject to interpretation and anything subject to interpretation is subject to bias. Additionally, the source tilts left as does it's source.

So, I am not totally discrediting the topic but I am saying it does not have the weight some might give it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 40

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Right you are AGAIN, Gordy.....to wit....

Jared Kushner In His Own Words On The Trump Data Operation The FBI Is Reportedly Probing

and.....

Cambridge Analytica, the shady data firm that might be a key Trump-Russia link, explained

and let's not forget about Steve Bannon....

Bannon oversaw Cambridge Analytica’s collection of Facebook data, according to former employee

And add that to Manafort's secret dealing with the Russians, worthy of lying to the FBI, and I bet Mueller has much, much more....it's all coming together nicely.....

Puzzle Satisfying GIF

Somebody with more techno-savey then I needs to photoshop the final result into a picture of lil donny in an orange jumpsuit.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 40

@rk9152 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

".....I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.....".

Perhaps I'm not understanding the study results. It sounds like my fellow boomers show a high degree of ignorance, regardless of political affiliation. Am I not understanding this article? 

That IS what it says.

It also "says", Conervatives are over 3X's more likely to pass the FAKE NEWS to others, just as we see here on this forum.  Just saying.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 40
PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 40

@retiredtraveler wrote:

".....I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.....".

Perhaps I'm not understanding the study results. It sounds like my fellow boomers show a high degree of ignorance, regardless of political affiliation. Am I not understanding this article? 

That IS what it says.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 40

I have no idea how ideologues function other than to have a small social circle that are adherent to their strict ideals.    That is how, IMO, evangelicals have taken over a segment of "religion".   Overtime, they have sought political power to futher their ideology.    I have no idea if Donald is truly religious, but he used the evangelical types to push his agenda.    Sadly, that is the group of staunch supporters and when faced with the honest reflection that they are accepting and sharing fake news, is there a solution?    Fortunately, the activism of 2018 does have an outreach to younger generations and they don't are more tech saavy, or smarter and easily identify a site with fake news pretty easily.   

One has to wonder if that is why some don't ever or rarely link sites to their posts, I don't know that answer, but that  does to be a common thread here.   

Afterall, those who call out threads based on the site of information, it is only because that the senior who is making that charge has read probably done some due diligence before they reached that conclusion.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 40

@gordyfl wrote:

I've noticed this for more than 20 years - back in the days of fake viral emails.

I used to politely "Reply" to the fake emails with a fact-check, but, by and large, that didn't stop the fake emails. So, I began "Reply All". That sort of worked, although I lost a few email friends along the way. I was even scolded by some for doing so. (I also learned that most seniors are unaware of "Bcc" when forwarding emails)

I will be 66 in March, two of my older brothers are 78 and 79. In the 'fake email' days (they aren't over yet), they would both forward and/or send emails to me continuously that slammed different POLs on the left, and especially Obama after he took office. They sent these mails to a large distribution list, mostly because they forwarded mails sent to them and many others. They didn't pay attention to the regular 'Cc' list, let alone the 'Bcc' list. I would fact check them and paste the findings proving the emails as false, hitting the 'reply to all' button. You are right .......... I lost some email friends that were on my brother's lists. I got some nasty replies from some of the people on his address lists, some asking "who are you"?

Many staunch older right wingers denied findings from fact checking back then and it remind me of how many older trump supporters deny fact checking today.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 40

An example how easily fake stories hit the internet....

"Nude Photo of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez"

Ocasio-Cortez slams right-wing sites over her ‘fake nude photo’

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ‏slammed right-wing media sites on Wednesday for publishing a “fake nude photo” that some claimed showed the freshman congresswoman in a bathtub.

The image of a young woman’s legs soaking in the tub along with a vape pen was circulated on Reddit forums and eventually made its way to online news outlets.

Although the image was labeled as Ocasio Cortez on Reddit, it was actually Anthony Weiner’s sext partner Sydney Leathers, who quickly debunked the rumor.

Leathers told The Post that the photo was a 3-year-old post that she had deleted off her Instagram. She apologized to Ocasio-Cortez for the photo faux-pas and joked about her distaste for Republicans.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/09/ocasio-cortez-slams-right-wing-sites-over-her-fake-nude-photo/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 40

Right you are AGAIN, Gordy.....to wit....

Jared Kushner In His Own Words On The Trump Data Operation The FBI Is Reportedly Probing

and.....

Cambridge Analytica, the shady data firm that might be a key Trump-Russia link, explained

and let's not forget about Steve Bannon....

Bannon oversaw Cambridge Analytica’s collection of Facebook data, according to former employee

And add that to Manafort's secret dealing with the Russians, worthy of lying to the FBI, and I bet Mueller has much, much more....it's all coming together nicely.....

Puzzle Satisfying GIF

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views