Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A study on FAKE News and Seniors

Message 1 of 40

Some Republicans seldom wander from their conservative websites. They're fed the news and opinions they want to hear - to re-affirm their preconceived beliefs. But most do wander into other non-conservative websites.

I see mixed "comments" on websites such as the USA Today, although it appears there are more Republicans there making comments.

On Democratic or liberal websites, occasionally you see a Republican commenting. They're quickly attacked with contrasting opinions and facts. That person usually doesn't last long on those websites. Same goes with Democrats wandering onto conservative websites. It becomes a futile effort.

But here on the AARP website, I think Republicans do a pretty good job offering their opinions and defending their views. Remember, they're outnumbered here. Nobody can be always right (or wrong) 100% of the time.

I must admit, sometimes my views have shifted from a strong belief to a slightly gray area by reading some comments on this website. Didn't you ever say to yourself "Hmm..I didn't know that."? You may still maintain your views, but you can also see why others believe as they do.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 40

On America's Last Line of Defense, if someone clicks on their "ABOUT" link it reads...

ABOUT: "Nothing on this page is real. It is a collection of the satirical whimsies of liberal trolls masquerading as conservatives. You have been warned."

On their heading they state "Entertainment Website".

However, the story goes viral and most are unaware of the original post. A person can easily say they didn't realize it was satire.

People should realize that Facebook should not be their primary source of news. If you do find a startling news story - double-check. Verify. It's not like we have to go to the library, buy a newspaper or head to the bookstore to verify. It's right at our fingertips. We have no one to blame but ourselves. 

fake news.jpg

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 40
Perhaps if the representation truly cared about what the people are receiving for their information and started slapping a substantial fines on any false information which they could use against the national debt,
maybe it might start to diminish? They seem to have enough money to spread deception, so use that money for a good cause...the national debt??? They apparently don't feel it necessary to remove the whole problem anyway, no?
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 40

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@afisher wrote:

Interesting.

Across all age categories, sharing fake news was a relatively rare category. Only 8.5 percent of users in the study shared at least one link from a fake news site. Users who identified as conservative were more likely than users who identified as liberal to share fake news: 18 percent of Republicans shared links to fake news sites, compared to less than 4 percent of Democrats. Not at ALL surprising given the sample size here......The researchers attributed this finding largely to studies showing that in 2016, fake news overwhelmingly served to promote Trump’s candidacy.  Yeah like this one......

I hear her brother also lives in Florida.....

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/A-Conservative-Russian-Trump-Troll-in-Denial/m...

But older users skewed the findings: 11 percent of users older than 65 shared a hoax, while just 3 percent of users 18 to 29 did. Facebook users ages 65 and older shared more than twice as many fake news articles than the next-oldest age group of 45 to 65, and nearly seven times as many fake news articles as the youngest age group (18 to 29).

“When we bring up the age finding, a lot of people say, ‘oh yeah, that’s obvious,’” co-author Andrew Guess, a political scientist at Princeton University, told The Verge. “For me, what is pretty striking is that the relationship holds even when you control for party affiliation or ideology. The fact that it’s independent of these other traits is pretty surprising to me. It’s not just being driven by older people being more conservative.”

I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.  Again, those RW'ers posting here prove the accuracy of the study.  They have posted far more "Fake News" stories than any "group" here.....  Just saying..... 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174631/old-people-fake-news-facebook-share-nyu-princeton

I think this earlier post needs to be repeated.  Not to embarrass but to inform.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 40

@gordyfl  Very nice to spell out the deception. I agree that some how, some way all of this deception needs to be called out and removed but, I don't think that public shaming is going to win. People will tend to get too defensive and therefore stand up even when they know it is wrong. They perhaps should make the source (media/social media) tell the public what the false information was and what the source is so perhaps people will start to put that connection together.  Russia used far too much of the American media to play us against eachother and Lord knows how many other foreign entities.

Thank you for taking your time and effort to help.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 40

It also "says", Conervatives are over 3X's more likely to pass the FAKE NEWS to others.

Yesterday I read a post on my Facebook page that said:

"On January 6, 2019 Supreme Court Rules 5-4: Oaths Not Taken on Bibles Illegal”. In was in reference to some members of Congress taking their oath of office on the Koran instead of the Bible.
I wasn't 100% sure the story was "entirely" false, so I clicked on the link. The story was posted on a conservative news webpage. I looked into it further and discovered it originated on "America's Last Line of Defense" webpage - a more or less satirical website.
The purpose for the website: "to engage directly with people who spread false or extremist stories and prove those stories were wrong."
"Maybe, after people had been publicly embarrassed, they would think more critically about what they shared online" said its founder Christopher Blair, 46, of Maine. He launched the political-satire Facebook page with other liberal bloggers during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Here are some example of their stories:

Breaking News: Trump Strips Obama of Secret Service Protection for Remainder of Shutdown"

Breaking: China Offers to Pay for Border Wall if Trump lifts Tariffs

BREAKING: Ocasio-Cortez Concedes 2020 Race After Incriminating Evidence Surfaces
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may have won liberal hearts when she “won” her election to become a U.S. Representative, but many have been wondering how she got there.
According to the Freedom Foundation, Cortez received more than 78% of the vote, but it seems that that isn’t the whole story. While she got 110,000 votes to Republican Anthony Pappas’ 20,000, the Foundation says that a staggering 91,000 votes may be fraudulent.
“Numerous witnesses reported seeing what they described as a “van full of illegals” outside multiple polling places,” the report says. “In fact, many of these reports came in at the same time in different locations, so this indicates that the incident was happening across the precinct and that many people were involved.”

When I read the comments of some of these stories, it seemed like everyone who was fooled was conservative Pro-Trump. I clicked on some of their profiles - it looked like most of them were seniors.

Here's the Facebook page of "America's Last Line of Defense"...

https://www.facebook.com/thelastlineofdefense/

"Welcome to the internet. Critical thinking required."

Americas's Last Line of Defense.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 40

I received an email yesterday. The email stated that back in 1958 CBS, had a show. The show centered around a con man Trump, who wanted to protect the small town from the meteor shower. Trump wanted to build a wall around the town. Anyway no meteor shower, residents lost money, land and faith in each other. The email didn't mention the show. So how do you fact check. Just for laughs, because the similarities from the 1958 CBS show till now are too much.

I posted the video here a couple of years ago. I believe it was before the election. 

It was from the 1958 Western "Trackdown". 

When I posted it on Facebook, both Republicans and Democrats like the video.

Here's the video. It's a little bit longer than the CBS version. The CBS version focuses on the Wall portion of the video....

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 40

@Controlled42010 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Controlled42010 wrote:
Oops, also, if it were a crime than wouldn't they be able to confiscate the property/assets for the crime? Boy wouldn't that put more money in the till, huh?

Yea, we'll be seeing trump tower up for sale within a few years....as well as many of his other properties....

Oh no, that would/could mean that all the Trump family would be homeless and we all know that just doesn't happen in this society, right?  I mean we don't have "that much homelessness" to be concerned about to cause a "crisis" or anything, right?

Preferably.....

Image result for trump family in jail

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 40

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

".....I can't wait to see how the RW Seniors try and spin this study.....".

Perhaps I'm not understanding the study results. It sounds like my fellow boomers show a high degree of ignorance, regardless of political affiliation. Am I not understanding this article? 

That IS what it says.

It also "says", Conervatives are over 3X's more likely to pass the FAKE NEWS to others, just as we see here on this forum.  Just saying.....

That's right Cent ........... and that information is what trump supporters (conservatives) choose to ignore or at least not repeat !

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 40

Centristsin 2010,

Chasing News said what started out as a joke, may be gaining traction. I am referring to the naming of Trump tower, as Obama. 

Kudos
Views