Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A path to single payer?

Message 41 of 66

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

That "kick the can down the road" idea makes the assumption that socialized medicine in inevitable. Granted, had the last election gone a different way it might well have happened.

But remember, the one who lost ran on socialized medicine and the one that won didn't. So, maybe it isn't inevitable.

I need someone to explain to me why its bad for the US to have the best healthcare system in the world. Call it what you want..the US is far from the best. Is there a reason US citizens dont deserve it?

It isn't. We almost had a great improvement when the Congress sent tort reform legislation to Clinton - but he vetoed it.

I have no idea how things happen in other nations but look at the problems with the VA healthcare system and look at the "war on poverty" run by our government and you might see that simply turning healthcare over to some bureaucrats in DC is no going to give us a Swedish system.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 66

WASHINGTON — Bay State Sen. Elizabeth Warren is backing Bernie Sanders’ single-payer health care bill, joining other high-profile Democrats yesterday as a co-sponsor of the Vermont independent senator’s measure to extend Medicare coverage to everyone as the midterm election season draws near.

“Medicare for All is one way that we can give every single person in the country access to high-quality health care,” Warren said in a statement released by her campaign yesterday. “Everyone is covered. Nobody goes broke paying a medical bill. Families don’t have to bear the costs of heartbreaking medical disasters on their own.”

The Cambridge Democrat joins others such as U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) in endorsing Sanders’ single-payer plan, a move that comes as Democrats try to improve their chances of taking back the Senate in next year’s election — or at least not lose seats as they face a difficult election map — with economic appeals to voters.

elizabeth warren bernie.jpg

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_politics/2017/09/elizabeth_warren_co_sponsors_bernie_sanders_...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 66

Granted, had the last election gone a different way it might well have happened.

But remember, the one who lost ran on socialized medicine and the one that won didn't. So, maybe it isn't inevitable.

But the one who lost the election lost for many reasons. She'll explain even more reasons why she lost in Her new book coming to bookstores this month.

what happened.jpg

Hillary called Medicare-or-All "Pie in the Sky".

2016 Election: Hillary Clinton Gets $13 Million From Health Industry. Says Single-Payer Will "Never, Ever Come to Pass".

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/34935-hillary-clinton-gets-13-million-from-healt...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 66

Some people do argue they have the right not to have healthcare.

Sounds similar to the argument against seatbelts and airbags. Some people wanted the freedom to "fly through the windshield" if they should so choose. Since the seatbelt laws have been implemented, there are less orphaned children in our country.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 66

@rk9152 wrote:

That "kick the can down the road" idea makes the assumption that socialized medicine in inevitable. Granted, had the last election gone a different way it might well have happened.

A command economy will also beat a free market economy in the short term. Anything over 2 years and it goes down in flames. Same here

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 66

@rk9152 wrote:

I need someone to explain to me why its bad for the US to have the best healthcare system in the world. Call it what you want..the US is far from the best. Is there a reason US citizens dont deserve it?

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 66

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 66

I realize that there are laws that protect those individuals that say that the Government can't make me have health insurance, but we need a law that says that I as a tax payer will not pay one penny for those that don't want to have health insurance. I believe that is a fair thing for all.
Those are the real mouchers of the system remember they are not on Medicaid or Medicare, they are about getting the freebies from us they are  the ones that are famous  for thei lack of responsibility. Usually in this case the Alt Right people, the ultra conservatives and all those kooks that think that they are better than all of us. 

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 66

It seems to me that if every other developed country in the world uses the same system for providing health care and that system is different than yours, there are a couple of questions you should ask:

• Are the health care outcomes for my population better than theirs ?(No)
  • Does my health care system provide care at a lower cost than theirs ?(No)
  • Given the above, why am I running a different system for providing health care?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 66

@mandm84 wrote:

Do we really have a Congress for the people ?

my feelings exactly. I have good Dem senators too, and sometimes i cant believe what they do. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors