You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Use code VET to save 25 percent now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A new axis of evil?

Message 1 of 10

@Soosie wrote:
. Most of these people did nothing wrong but come and apply for asilyum. Even if they did cross the border illegally it is a misdemeanor. @john258........I'm sorry, but to me crime is crime and I find it irresponsible for someone to bring their children into this kind of unsafe circumstance. Would you gather your children up and head out through unsafe territory in order to reach a destination where you had no job or housing? I think the word is, go to the USA and everything is free. Guess what? Those of us who pay the taxes are aging out. Where do you think the money will come from for an unlimited number of people to come in? Do you think many of the seniors writing here are willing to go back to work? I doubt it. Do you think any of them are going to back up their foolish claim that they will adopt one of these families? I think not. Do you think the males in these groups can readily change their thinking about women? Don't think so. From experience of hiring some people from other countries here is what I saw. A male would push in front of a female at a vending machine. When asked about it, he said women were inferior to him. I see many thinking with emotion only. We can't run on emotion only. If you can explain to me where the funding will come from, I will certainly read you ideas.

I have heard what you say over and over again on FOX News and other right wing leadership outlets, and you do a fine job of repeating what they have said. Now in that vein why haven't you called for the Sec. of Commence to be indited for failing to obey the law, and making about 3 million on his investments due to how he handled his duties. As all good far right enablers have always had a problem with select enforcement of laws. Poor hurt them, rich let them do it. We see here the far right enablers in action in making Trump the Dicator.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

A far left mag finds a far left writer for an op/ed and our far left jumps right on board with "Yeah, me too". And then it goes even further off the rails with slavery, Reagan tax cuts, and Germany in the '30s .

Come on folks, there is a problem that needs dealing with on our borders. All this political/ideological screaming and attacking doesn't solve it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@Soosie wrote:

Would you gather your children up and head out through unsafe territory in order to reach a destination where you had no job or housing?

Do you think the males in these groups can readily change their thinking about women? Don't think so. From experience of hiring some people from other countries here is what I saw. A male would push in front of a female at a vending machine. When asked about it, he said women were inferior to him.

Would you gather up your children and "head out" if their lives were in danger in their home country from political murders, gang violence, and rape?

To use history as an example, the JEWS that "headed out" on a ship in 1939, but were turned away by the United States, and sent back to Germany to their deaths...... haunts us to this very day.

From your comments, it seems their lives aren't that important but what THE COSTS might be to YOU is.

The lack of compassion in 1939 caused hundreds of deaths; the same will happen now.

As to your generalization about males from other countries, there is no response as it is a generalization you have settled on whether it is true or not. In many ways, your generalizing like that is similar to how people generalize about people of other races, people of other sexual preferences, and people of other nationalities.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@Soosie wrote:
The separation of a toddler who can't even speak yet from his parents makes this particularly ludicrous, @Mick, Do you see any responsibility of the parent to know not to bring a child into this type of situation? Seems they were looking out for themselves more than the family. Also, just a wild guess that some children were brought by someone other than their family. You just had a post earlier being very critical of American parents. Are you deciding that American children are not worth anything? I can't understand your reasoning.

What the World knew for 240 years was the United States was a bastion of liberty and freedom. The parents do not watch Fox, so they would not have known Republicans had in a few short years turned that Shinning City On A Hill into a hell on earth for poor people of color seeking safety.

Some adults no doubt picked up kids traveling alone along the way. To make the assertion this was some insideous plot to gain entry for themselves is typical vilification of non-whites that has become SOP for the GOP.

And of course they MUST insert the latest Foxbot mantra about how caring for these refugee children somehow means we must hate American Children. I find this esepcially onerous because it is the Republicans who are doing everything they can to deprive American children of a decent life by systematically destroying their chance for a good education and most recently slashing support for their health care. How can Republicans be so evil as to villify, attack and destroy half our young people in the name of bigger tax cuts for those who already own 90% of our wealth?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Republicans always come back to the "how will we pay for it" mantra when any social problem gets noticed. The answer is simple - we get rid of the elected Republicans and repeal the Reagan Taxscam so the middle class gets a 40% tax CUT while those who have robbed the middle class for the last 30 years get a 60% INCREASE, leaving them with average incomes well above a million bucks.

From 1916 to 1985 the very wealthy, including Corporations paid virtually all the Federal income tax and well over half got everything they paid back when they filed their returns, in effect having "loaned" Uncle Sam their taxes at zero interest. No reason whatsoever what worked for 70 years can't work for another 70 years.

OR we cut spending for weapons our military does not want or need and stop attacking countries that are no threat to us or our allies (if there's any left after Lemontop's latest twittweet). Again this requires removing the Republican legislative majorities purchased with a minority of the votes.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10
. Most of these people did nothing wrong but come and apply for asilyum. Even if they did cross the border illegally it is a misdemeanor. @john258........I'm sorry, but to me crime is crime and I find it irresponsible for someone to bring their children into this kind of unsafe circumstance. Would you gather your children up and head out through unsafe territory in order to reach a destination where you had no job or housing? I think the word is, go to the USA and everything is free. Guess what? Those of us who pay the taxes are aging out. Where do you think the money will come from for an unlimited number of people to come in? Do you think many of the seniors writing here are willing to go back to work? I doubt it. Do you think any of them are going to back up their foolish claim that they will adopt one of these families? I think not. Do you think the males in these groups can readily change their thinking about women? Don't think so. From experience of hiring some people from other countries here is what I saw. A male would push in front of a female at a vending machine. When asked about it, he said women were inferior to him. I see many thinking with emotion only. We can't run on emotion only. If you can explain to me where the funding will come from, I will certainly read you ideas.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@Soosie wrote:
The separation of a toddler who can't even speak yet from his parents makes this particularly ludicrous, @Mick, Do you see any responsibility of the parent to know not to bring a child into this type of situation? Seems they were looking out for themselves more than the family. Also, just a wild guess that some children were brought by someone other than their family. You just had a post earlier being very critical of American parents. Are you deciding that American children are not worth anything? I can't understand your reasoning.

Our country until now would have never allowed something like this to go on, and it has been that way since slavery ended after the Civil War. Most of these people did nothing wrong but come and apply for asilyum. Even if they did cross the border illegally it is a misdemeanor. You see this type of thing happening in other countries that are Dictatorships, and that is what the far right enablers are pushing for in the USA. They want Dictator Trump just as the German enablers wanted Dictator Hitler in the 1930.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.salon.com/2018/07/11/a-new-axis-of-evil-donald-trump-and-vladimir-putin-share-an-open-co...

A new axis of evil? Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin share an open contempt for human rights

Yes, the U.S. has often been hypocritical on human rights. Now the Trump-Putin alliance has stopped even pretending

efore President Trump took off for the NATO summit on Tuesday, he stopped on the White House lawn and took some questions from reporters. In light of the government's failure to meet a court-imposed deadline to return the children under age five who were separated from their parents under the draconian "zero-tolerance" policy, a reporter asked the president:

Q: Reaction to latest deadline missed on child reunions?

Trump: Well, I have a solution. Tell people not to come to our country illegally. That’s the solution. Don’t come to our country illegally. Come like other people do. Come legally.

Q: Is that what you’re saying? you’re punishing the children?

Trump: I’m saying this: We have laws. We have borders. Don’t come to our country illegally. It’s not a good thing.

Masterful deflection and complete failure to address the question. I see exactly the same non-answer from Trumplings and bots here all the time.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

A new axis of evil?

Message 10 of 10

https://www.salon.com/2018/07/11/a-new-axis-of-evil-donald-trump-and-vladimir-putin-share-an-open-co...

A new axis of evil? Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin share an open contempt for human rights

Yes, the U.S. has often been hypocritical on human rights. Now the Trump-Putin alliance has stopped even pretending

efore President Trump took off for the NATO summit on Tuesday, he stopped on the White House lawn and took some questions from reporters. In light of the government's failure to meet a court-imposed deadline to return the children under age five who were separated from their parents under the draconian "zero-tolerance" policy, a reporter asked the president:

Q: Reaction to latest deadline missed on child reunions?

Trump: Well, I have a solution. Tell people not to come to our country illegally. That’s the solution. Don’t come to our country illegally. Come like other people do. Come legally.

Q: Is that what you’re saying? you’re punishing the children?

Trump: I’m saying this: We have laws. We have borders. Don’t come to our country illegally. It’s not a good thing.

Evidently, the age of those being punished is irrelevant in his mind as is the fact that applying for refugee status is perfectly legal. Perhaps these children should have "chosen" different parents? This issue has become more and more surreal as time goes on.

The AP reported earlier this week on a case in which the judge hearing a deportation case was faced with something so absurd that it's a wonder everyone in the courtroom didn't get up and run from the room screaming:

The 1-year-old boy in a green button-up shirt drank milk from a bottle, played with a small purple ball that lit up when it hit the ground and occasionally asked for “agua.”

Then it was the child’s turn for his court appearance before a Phoenix immigration judge, who could hardly contain his unease with the situation during the portion of the hearing where he asks immigrant defendants whether they understand the proceedings.

“I’m embarrassed to ask it, because I don’t know who you would explain it to, unless you think that a 1-year-old could learn immigration law,” Judge John W. Richardson told the lawyer representing the 1-year-old boy.

The separation of a toddler who can't even speak yet from his parents makes this particularly ludicrous, but this same absurd process happens to 7-to-10-year-olds as well, none of whom are in a position to understand. According to our president, that's the point. He clearly sees this policy as a tool for deterrence. which has been deemed illegal by the courts.

Kudos
Views
Replies