Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A TEXAS OBITUARY--- NOW I HAVE SEEN IT ALL

Message 11 of 23

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

So what is the reason for pointing out the state for the obituary?   I doubt that Texas is the only state that has people who feel like the lady does.

Is anyone here completely aware of the circumstances of why she wrote the obituary like she did?  Is it our place to find fault with her feelings about her father? 

Texas inordinately grabs National Headlines on a multitude of subjects. I had never seen an article like this before from any other state.

If you read the article, you become aware of her personal reasons for the obituary but does that justify its writing? This headline grabber had to know that her obituary would be seen as a sensationalist piece and be picked up by media outlets.

My point is that, in death, the deceased is deserved of reverence at a minimum.

This person is intent on advertising, for all to see, the hate she harbored for this man. She was clearly making a spectacle of the situation in order to grab attention.

Pitiful.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 23

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Further, I doubt this discussion was intended as a judgment on the article, but just another attempt to denigrate the state the deceased lived in. 

May I ask why you are attempting to make this personal once again?

--

We each have a right to our opinion.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 23

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Further, I doubt this discussion was intended as a judgment on the article, but just another attempt to denigrate the state the deceased lived in. 

May I ask why you are attempting to make this personal once again?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 23

@NerdyMom wrote:

In other words, the obituary is a reflection of her, of her pain, of her damage.

--

As the article said, she was being honest, and further, neither you nor I have any idea of the situation in that family, so it's not for any of us to judge her feelings.  On that part, we never met the guy, so it's not for use to say whether she was wrong or not in the way, or why, she wrote the obituary.  From what I've read about this, it is doubtful that anyone really had regrets about his passing. 

I recall reading some years ago about a case where a guy in Kansas or Missouri was killed and he was so hated that the townspeople refused to point out the killer, even though it was known. 

I'm sure that we wouldn't be surprised to find that there are many in the world who would have felt like this lady did about a parents or person's passing.  We cannot set ourselves to judge that which we don't know..that is to a higher power to do.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 23

I did listen to that radio show you posted.  I didn't find anything she said to be particularly remarkable. At least not to the extent that it somehow justifies a public display of her pain like that obituary.   I'm not excusing anything the man did.   The woman is broken, and I wish her the best in recovery, if she can.  Even her admitted "years and years" of counseling apparently didn't teach her to set sufficient boundaries with the man.  Why spend "any" time in the presence of a man who hurt you and others you love so badly?  

In other words, the obituary is a reflection of her, of her pain, of her damage.  Moreso than a reflection of the evil man it purports to describe.   And I hope that she can move past that.   Maybe his death (and therefore his absolute absence from her life) will bring her healing.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 23
'Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interrèd with their bones.
So let it be with Caesar.'

Shakespeare → Julius Caesar → Act 3, Scene 2, Page 4

It is apparent that if one read the link I posted telling why the daughter wrote the obituary as she did, no one paid attention to what she said.  Further, going on the comments, I have to wonder if the same comments would be said about Charles Manson when he passes on.

But if one read the link I posted as to why she wrote it as she did, they would have understood her reasoning...."“A week after he passed I sat down and began working on it. I was somewhat blocked and everything I was going to write was going to be a lie,” she said. “He hated a liar and he would appreciate this."  And she went on to relate "the arrests for domestic violence, the threats to her life and the lives of others over the years. He had shot up various houses in his rages, according to Smith.”  She deserves respect for being honest, a rare trait to be found in people.

Further, I doubt this discussion was intended as a judgment on the article, but just another attempt to denigrate the state the deceased lived in.  Of course there are those like the deceased in every state, leaving behind their victims. 
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 23

"It's easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."     

~Frederick Douglass

I hope they can find peace.   The dad was somebody's baby boy once.  Who knows what happened to him to make him so mentally ill and mean.   Sadly, he's quite obviously passed that pain onto his kids.   I hope it can end there.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 23

@rker321 wrote:

Let's start comparisons.  Hitler's obit,  Aquila the Hun obit,   Henry the VIII, obit, 

and so many others.
I have no doubt of the type of individual that the man was, and whether he deserves all of that hate or not.

But, for the living, is not a matter of forgiveness, is a matter of letting go of your hate.

This hate has consumed them for years, and now, it looks like it will remain with them forever. 
I don't know who is the winner on this one, but, it seems that the father has won after all.

Maybe that obituary was their means of releasing their hatred and now they finally feel free of his evil (real or perceived).

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 23

Let's start comparisons.  Hitler's obit,  Aquila the Hun obit,   Henry the VIII, obit, 

and so many others.
I have no doubt of the type of individual that the man was, and whether he deserves all of that hate or not.

But, for the living, is not a matter of forgiveness, is a matter of letting go of your hate.

This hate has consumed them for years, and now, it looks like it will remain with them forever. 
I don't know who is the winner on this one, but, it seems that the father has won after all.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 23

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/article/Daughter-of-Galveston-man-with-savage-obit-te...

Daughter of Galveston man with savage obit tells why she did it

"A member of the Charping family told host Michael Berry on “The Michael Berry Show” on Tuesday morning that she chose to tell the truth about her father in the obituary rather than sugarcoat a life that hurt others."

==

Sometimes there is a reason for what people do, but of  course there will also be those who question it for their own purposes. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors