Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

A Prelim Look at ACA Premium Direction for 2018

While the preliminary figures seem to support increases in ACA premiums in most every state - some even quite high or higher than ever before; there is one state where the figures are appearing to be quite good as a result of state action last year and they only have ONE insurer in the whole state.

 

ALASKA

 

ABC News 08/01/2017 - Lone Health Insurer in Alaska Files for a Rate DECREASE for Alaska market.

 

It appears that other states are looking at this state based reinsurance program for the very ill and costly health care consumers with heighten interest to hold down premium cost for everybody.

0 Kudos
398 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I was listening to Colo. Gov. Higgenlooper talk about this. They pull the really high cost medical patients into their own risk pool and then provide state sponsored financing. The patients get the healthcare they need but the other citizens are not picking up the massive costs.  Almost looks like the beginning of a Canadian style health care system. 

0 Kudos
337 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

  Almost looks like the beginning of a Canadian style health care system. 


You will have to explain that one to me . . . . . 

Public money is already being spent under Obamacare - this change just puts those same funds to a different use and saves everybody premium increase.

 

0 Kudos
333 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

While the preliminary figures seem to support increases in ACA premiums in most every state - some even quite high or higher than ever before; there is one state where the figures are appearing to be quite good as a result of state action last year and they only have ONE insurer in the whole state.

 

ALASKA

 

ABC News 08/01/2017 - Lone Health Insurer in Alaska Files for a Rate DECREASE for Alaska market.

 

It appears that other states are looking at this state based reinsurance program for the very ill and costly health care consumers with heighten interest to hold down premium cost for everybody.


Reread your support post. The State is putting money up to the Insurer to reduce the Premium. That is cost shifting nothing else. If any State told an Insurance Co. to reduce your premium by any amount and we will pay you the amount it cost you every Insurance Co would do it. Fact is that is what the ACA does, and that is what Trump says he will end. When he ends it the Carriers will get the needed money from the Insureds. Cost shifting from Govt. to Insureds. What you say about support figures in every state is really not true. Just the other day there were a number of States where the Carriers laid out what their new charges will be with the current Trump far right mess, and what they would be with out the Trump mess. The new premium amounts were far less with out Trump. You can not take one article alone which is what you love todo. That is not the real world. The path AK wants to follow will lower premiums, but that money will be offset by additional charges to Taxpayers there in other areas. That is cost shifting not cost reduction.

 
0 Kudos
355 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

While the preliminary figures seem to support increases in ACA premiums in most every state - some even quite high or higher than ever before; there is one state where the figures are appearing to be quite good as a result of state action last year and they only have ONE insurer in the whole state.

 

ALASKA

 

ABC News 08/01/2017 - Lone Health Insurer in Alaska Files for a Rate DECREASE for Alaska market.

 

It appears that other states are looking at this state based reinsurance program for the very ill and costly health care consumers with heighten interest to hold down premium cost for everybody.


Reread your support post. The State is putting money up to the Insurer to reduce the Premium. That is cost shifting nothing else. If any State told an Insurance Co. to reduce your premium by any amount and we will pay you the amount it cost you every Insurance Co would do it. Fact is that is what the ACA does, and that is what Trump says he will end. When he ends it the Carriers will get the needed money from the Insureds. Cost shifting from Govt. to Insureds. What you say about support figures in every state is really not true. Just the other day there were a number of States where the Carriers laid out what their new charges will be with the current Trump far right mess, and what they would be with out the Trump mess. The new premium amounts were far less with out Trump. You can not take one article alone which is what you love todo. That is not the real world. The path AK wants to follow will lower premiums, but that money will be offset by additional charges to Taxpayers there in other areas. That is cost shifting not cost reduction.

 

Think you are a bit confused ~ this has nothing to do with CSR - it has to do with a reinsurance program which pays for the sickest after their cost reach a certain level.

 

From the link in my initial post and from the history of the program which I have posted about before, several times -

 

Alaska passed the reinsurance program back in 2015, effective in 2016 - a proposed rate increase of about 40% was reduced to 7%. 

from the above link ~

Annual rate increases reached as high as about 40 percent previously and averaged about 7 percent for this year. The moderated increase followed passage by the state Legislature of a program intended to help stabilize the market, by addressing certain high-cost claims separately.

 

The state requested federal help to keep the program going, arguing it will save the federal government millions of dollars in subsidies that many in the individual market receive to ease their premium costs. The federal government recently approved the request.

 

Mathmatically, the program works because if it was not in existance, the federal government would be paying MORE in tax credit subsidies because of higher premiums brought about by the needs cost of those who are the sickest,  than what it is costing the feds to help fund this state reinsurance program.

 

Other states have already set up a similar program and they are working their way towards approval at the federal level.

 

 I posted this back in May 2017 -

 

Press Release - Center of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) - 05/16/2017 - Centers for Medicare a...

 

WASHINGTON, DC, May 16, 2017; - Today, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released new information to help states seek waivers from requirements in the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The new tool is intended to help states complete waiver applications that allow them to establish high-risk pools/ state-operated reinsurance programs. Section 1332 waivers, generally can be used by states to opt-out of some mandated provisions under ACA.

 

. . . . States have unique sets of challenges within the health insurance exchange and in the broader individual health insurance market. In Alaska, for example, initial rate information showed the state could face a potential 40 percent increase in premiums in the 2017 plan year. In an effort to stabilize premiums, the state introduced a reinsurance program to offset the projected increase. The move helped to steady premiums, and Alaska is now requesting a 1332 State Innovation Waiver in order to continue the program for future plan years. If approved, the state could receive federal funding to offset a portion of the costs. Federal law requires the 1332 reinsurance program to be budget neutral, so it will not increase costs for taxpayers.

 

 

 

0 Kudos
346 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

While the preliminary figures seem to support increases in ACA premiums in most every state - some even quite high or higher than ever before; there is one state where the figures are appearing to be quite good as a result of state action last year and they only have ONE insurer in the whole state.

 

ALASKA

 

ABC News 08/01/2017 - Lone Health Insurer in Alaska Files for a Rate DECREASE for Alaska market.

 

It appears that other states are looking at this state based reinsurance program for the very ill and costly health care consumers with heighten interest to hold down premium cost for everybody.


Reread your support post. The State is putting money up to the Insurer to reduce the Premium. That is cost shifting nothing else. If any State told an Insurance Co. to reduce your premium by any amount and we will pay you the amount it cost you every Insurance Co would do it. Fact is that is what the ACA does, and that is what Trump says he will end. When he ends it the Carriers will get the needed money from the Insureds. Cost shifting from Govt. to Insureds. What you say about support figures in every state is really not true. Just the other day there were a number of States where the Carriers laid out what their new charges will be with the current Trump far right mess, and what they would be with out the Trump mess. The new premium amounts were far less with out Trump. You can not take one article alone which is what you love todo. That is not the real world. The path AK wants to follow will lower premiums, but that money will be offset by additional charges to Taxpayers there in other areas. That is cost shifting not cost reduction.

 

Think you are a bit confused ~ this has nothing to do with CSR - it has to do with a reinsurance program which pays for the sickest after their cost reach a certain level.

 

From the link in my initial post and from the history of the program which I have posted about before, several times -

 

Alaska passed the reinsurance program back in 2015, effective in 2016 - a proposed rate increase of about 40% was reduced to 7%. 

from the above link ~

Annual rate increases reached as high as about 40 percent previously and averaged about 7 percent for this year. The moderated increase followed passage by the state Legislature of a program intended to help stabilize the market, by addressing certain high-cost claims separately.

 

The state requested federal help to keep the program going, arguing it will save the federal government millions of dollars in subsidies that many in the individual market receive to ease their premium costs. The federal government recently approved the request.

 

Mathmatically, the program works because if it was not in existance, the federal government would be paying MORE in tax credit subsidies because of higher premiums brought about by the needs cost of those who are the sickest,  than what it is costing the feds to help fund this state reinsurance program.

 

Other states have already set up a similar program and they are working their way towards approval at the federal level.

 

 I posted this back in May 2017 -

 

Press Release - Center of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) - 05/16/2017 - Centers for Medicare a...

 

WASHINGTON, DC, May 16, 2017; - Today, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released new information to help states seek waivers from requirements in the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The new tool is intended to help states complete waiver applications that allow them to establish high-risk pools/ state-operated reinsurance programs. Section 1332 waivers, generally can be used by states to opt-out of some mandated provisions under ACA.

 

. . . . States have unique sets of challenges within the health insurance exchange and in the broader individual health insurance market. In Alaska, for example, initial rate information showed the state could face a potential 40 percent increase in premiums in the 2017 plan year. In an effort to stabilize premiums, the state introduced a reinsurance program to offset the projected increase. The move helped to steady premiums, and Alaska is now requesting a 1332 State Innovation Waiver in order to continue the program for future plan years. If approved, the state could receive federal funding to offset a portion of the costs. Federal law requires the 1332 reinsurance program to be budget neutral, so it will not increase costs for taxpayers.

 

 

 


What they are doing is not reinsurance. Reinsurance is where an Insurance  Co. sells a policy to usually another Insurer that will cover losses above a certain amount, or Indv. losses above a certain amount, or losses arising from certain types of claims etc. It is priced so the Reinsurer makes a profit, and there is risk involved. They might have more losses than they priced for (loss), or less losses than priced for (profit). When a Govt. does this is a subsidy to the Carrier so they will write the coverage. Just what the ACA is doing. AK is doing just what the ACA does giving taxpayers money to the Insurance Cos. to write the coverage. AK  told the Carriers we will cover all your losses above a certain amount with taxpayers money. They can cut the increase to zero if they want by having the state out more money into it. That is not Reinsurance it is cost shifting. They call it reinsurance in the press since most people do not understand insurance and it sounds like reinsurance to them. It is not. A good bit of that state money comes from the Feds. All of the State programs like this are not reinsurance, but are the states giving money to carriers to hold down rates, and offer coverage they would not since the risk pool can not be priced using normal methods to allow the Carriers to make a profit.  You have to understand the entire health care system, and Insurance. Once you do then you will understand what is really happening and can make valid comments on it.

0 Kudos
312 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

While the preliminary figures seem to support increases in ACA premiums in most every state - some even quite high or higher than ever before; there is one state where the figures are appearing to be quite good as a result of state action last year and they only have ONE insurer in the whole state.

 

ALASKA

 

ABC News 08/01/2017 - Lone Health Insurer in Alaska Files for a Rate DECREASE for Alaska market.

 

It appears that other states are looking at this state based reinsurance program for the very ill and costly health care consumers with heighten interest to hold down premium cost for everybody.


Gail 

 

Maybe you missed this article from another post I made this AM 

 

(CNN)Several Republican and Democrat lawmakers agree that Congress needs to prevent a collapse of the health insurance market, which could hurt millions of consumers -- and that concern has opened up some bipartisan dialogue.

 
Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tennessee, said the Senate health committee will hold bipartisan health care hearings on how to repair the individual market. In the House, a group of 40 lawmakers from both parties endorsed an outline of ideas aimed at making urgent fixes to Obamacare.
The step toward bipartisanship on health care comes as some Republicans consider an approach that diverges from the president's stance.
 
 
 
 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Honored Social Butterfly

Gail  of course there has to be bipartisan cooperation if we want to see a decent Health Care system for this country.

The time has come that all of them Republicans and Democrats put aside their gripes and work for this country.

We need a system that covers all Americans, we also need a system that is affordable to all Americans.
We need a system that controls costs especially the drug costs. even if their donors cut them off.
We should demand that this Congress and this Senate work for the people of this country. and not for their own special interests

no name
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png