Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A Nation Divided is One at Risk

Message 1 of 28

I’ll just end my posts here by saying you can be a non-racist yourself, personally, and still acknowledge that cultural, structural racism exists and makes the playing field unfair.

I want people to go a step further than not being racist. I want people to dismantle structural racism.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 28

@Soosie wrote:

Come Together.jpg

I think "thinking people" would take action to try to bring the country together rather than seperate it.  Makes more sense.

Republicans want to "bring us together" by ignoring the behavior of their ToadPOTUS. In case you missed it, that thinking is what brought Germany "together" under Hitler on January 30th 1933.

You really want UNITY, stop electing racist bigots who redistribute all the increases in income and wealth into the pockets of the top of the 1%.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 28

There are people who insist that having a nation divided is not a good thing, and that all citizens should be in agreement, socially, politically, and religiously...

However the fact is that this nation has always been divided - for one reason or another - to some extent - from such divisions have come the strengths that have become the mortar that binds this nation together.

Samuel Adams - whose signature is on the Declaration of Independence - who Thomas Jefferson said "is truly the Man of the Revolution" - who is said to have been the leader behind the "Boston Tea Party" - the destruction of over a million dollars worth of tea in today's money  - he had something to say that is pertinent to this topic...   Samuel  Adams said -

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. 

We ask not your counsels or arms. 

Crouch down and lick the hands that feed you. 

May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

I must truthfully say that I strongly believe that over 90% of trump supporters and all trump cultists are unwitting stooges/flunkies/pawns of Putin.

Is opposing Prump/Tutin a wholly American Patriotic act?   

SURE IS!    COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY A PATRIOTIC ACT...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 28

@Soosie wrote:

So, is this group telling me that if Trump is removed from office, there will suddenly be a beam of light to shine down on the posters here and they will love others rather than the continued hatred shown for whites, Christians, Conservatives and any Republican woman who dares to not end a baby's life by abortion?  I would consider that a wonderful happening.  But, on the other hand, I think it would be a great loss to some because they feed off of hatred.  Nothing is good.  Everything is bad.  There is no tomorrow.  The tomatoes are too far for me to walk to.  The bandaids do not enhance my beauty.  Let's face it folks.  Some people just ain't gonna get happy.  They have too much fun being miserable.

"Feeding off hatred. Nothing is good. Everything is bad. There is no tomorrow. The tomatoes are too far for me to walk to.  The bandaids do not enhance my beauty.  Let's face it folks.  Some people just ain't gonna get happy.  They have too much fun being miserable."

Are you telling us something personal? Because I've never heard any liberal say anything remotely like that. In fact, most of the liberals I know seem to be happy, well adjusted people.

Also, abortion doesn't end a baby's life. That would be infanticide, and I don't know anyone who wants infanticide legalized.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 28

I can be more polite. I can acknowledge different points of view politely. I can try to figure out where the common ground may be. And if I can’t, I won’t respond to specific posts. ........................................I think this is a good promise that all of us could make. We all have different backgrounds, experiences, and beliefs that make us the wonderful diverse country we are. I have posted that I have friends of all types. It is not based on their sex, religion, race or anything else. It is usually based on some common interests we have. I probably lean more to the 50 plus people because I am older. In fact I think older than most who post here. I don't act my age and probably will not as long as my mind stays able to function properly.  I will have to deal with whatever illness come in my future.  For now, I am very healthy for my age.   I hate to say this, but some of the posters here seem ancient to me. Now, that does not make me dislike them.  Just makes me wonder how they can make this site their life purpose  if they are able to get out.  That is just because I am a high energy person and always looking for a new adventure.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 28
No, no - no beam of light. The hatred you mentioned will still exist but the haters will be in charge and find ways to deal with any opposition. Let's face it, they are much better as weakening the opposition than the Conservative side is.....................................This is so true. One of the victims I see here is AARP. All of the negative, attack the posters they do not like, demanding some posters supply certain information, stalking if necessary, and the list goes on. AARP is a victim because it hurts their image as one to represent all seniors. People who might become members soon get the idea that because this happens on an AARP site, then it must be the opinion and stance of AARP. From what I see on other social media, their image is being tarnished. Someone is not using the ole noodle for the future. I also have come to believe there are only a few posters, just some with several ID's. I thought that was not allowed, but there are easy ways to do this.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 28

@Soosie wrote:

Why don’t you take the first good faith step, Soosie, and stop posting all your hateful cartoons? You don’t really think the hatred is one-sided, do you? ...............................Ok, make a deal with you. I can stop with the cartoons if you use your influence to have some of the posters here to actually post something in a grown up, non Trump, non Obama or Michelle whine. I think it has been sufficiently covered.

I will add to this.  When this group encourages new posters to come on the site with other views and stop acting like kids chasing someone with a different view away.   Now, I can predict what a few of the "children" will come back at me on this last request, so I would like for them to be ADULT enough not to do it.  That would make me want to stop posting the cartoons.

I don’t think I have any real influence over others. However, one thing I learned recently in racial equity classes is that every person’s viewpoint has validity, in that the person’s life experiences have led them to hold the opinions they hold. And while I often vociferously disagree with many, it is critical to try to understand someone’s viewpoint. Or else we will never find workable solutions. That’s what I’ve been personally working on. And it’s really, really difficult. At least for me. 

I can be more polite.  I can acknowledge different points of view politely.  I can try to figure out where the common ground may be.  And if I can’t, I won’t respond to specific posts. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 28

@Soosie wrote:

So, is this group telling me that if Trump is removed from office, there will suddenly be a beam of light to shine down on the posters here and they will love others rather than the continued hatred shown for whites, Christians, Conservatives and any Republican woman who dares to not end a baby's life by abortion?  I would consider that a wonderful happening.  But, on the other hand, I think it would be a great loss to some because they feed off of hatred.  Nothing is good.  Everything is bad.  There is no tomorrow.  The tomatoes are too far for me to walk to.  The bandaids do not enhance my beauty.  Let's face it folks.  Some people just ain't gonna get happy.  They have too much fun being miserable.

No, no - no beam of light. The hatred you mentioned will still exist but the haters will be in charge and find ways to deal with any opposition. Let's face it, they are much better as weakening the opposition than the Conservative side is.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 28

Why don’t you take the first good faith step, Soosie, and stop posting all your hateful cartoons? You don’t really think the hatred is one-sided, do you? ...............................Ok, make a deal with you. I can stop with the cartoons if you use your influence to have some of the posters here to actually post something in a grown up, non Trump, non Obama or Michelle whine. I think it has been sufficiently covered.

I will add to this.  When this group encourages new posters to come on the site with other views and stop acting like kids chasing someone with a different view away.   Now, I can predict what a few of the "children" will come back at me on this last request, so I would like for them to be ADULT enough not to do it.  That would make me want to stop posting the cartoons.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 28

Why don’t you take the first good faith step, Soosie, and stop posting all your hateful cartoons? You don’t really think the hatred is one-sided, do you?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.