Honored Social Butterfly

A Message to the Faux Christians....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@Butterfly565 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

My belief as a Christian is that I have the duty to worry about my own tree and my own fruit.  I am not burdened with the duty of tending to other trees or fruit.  I do have the duty of showing those who will listen the plan of Salvation.  What they do with it is their decision.  It is not my place to go back and judge them.  

It's the duty of a Christian to live Christ's words, no?  IMO, Christ never said to "bash minorities", kick those who are down and complain they have germs or create trash.  To bait others and boast your getting your "kicks".  If He did, please provide a ferifiable reference.....

The 10 Duties of Every Christian

The Christian life is one of obedience. It is what one author has brilliantly described as “a long obedience in the same direction.” Those who have turned to Jesus Christ in repentance and faith prove the authenticity of their conversion by their obedience. No sooner have they made their profession than they begin to willingly and joyfully search out God’s will and to live in conformity to it. Like David, they learn to plead, “Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it” and find their hearts exclaiming, “Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day” (Psalm 119:35, 97). Christians are taught the commandments of Christ so that they might obey them (Matthew 28:20). They learn they have a duty of prayer, so they pray; they learn they have a duty of forgiveness, so they forgive; they learn they have a duty of diligence, so they work hard and provide generously. Well and good.

But here’s the tricky thing: Duty is destructive when fueled by wicked motives. Hypocrites perform religious duties in order to convince themselves of their righteousness. They think, “Just look at all the good things I do. I must be a Christian!” Deceivers perform religious duties in order to convince others of their righteousness. They say, “Just look at all the good things I do. I’m better than you!” If the mark of true believers is that they joyfully perform all of their God-given duties, the mark of religious deceivers and hypocrites is that they selfishly pick and choose the ones they will perform. Sometimes they will cede only to the duties that are simple, that gratify their pride, or that assuage their guilt. They may be like the religious authorities of Jesus’s day who were sure to “tithe mint and dill and cumin” but “neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness” (Matthew 23:23). Religious hypocrites gloat in the handful of duties they have obeyed, blind to the countless areas where they desperately need God’s grace. The fact is, duty is good and necessary, but it is dangerous and deceptive when fueled by a wicked heart.

Today I am beginning a new series of articles that will examine “The 10 Duties of Every Christian,” but I begin it with some hesitation. I am aware of the ways duty can be misused and misapplied. I know this from reading the Bible, I know this from interacting with others, and I know this from my own life and experience. The danger in a list of 10 duties is that in the hands of sinful people it risks becoming little more than a trite checklist that fosters deception and insincerity. It can be used by hypocrites to further their self-deception and by deceivers to advance their deception of others.

These are not 10 duties to hastily strike off a list but 10 duties to conscientiously perform in all of life.

I want to expose hypocrites, not foster them. I want to unmask deceivers, not cultivate them. And I want to expose and unmask any hypocrisy and deception that dwells within me. For this reason, I am going to proceed in a cautious, deliberate manner. While each of these 10 items will include biblical instruction and describe dutiful Christian living, they will also carefully distinguish between true obedience on the one hand and hypocrisy or deception on the other. In that way, this list of Christian duties will both teach and warn, it will both train and test. It is meant to be far more than a checklist of behaviors, but rather a series of touchstones, measures of the authenticity and quality of our faith. These are not 10 duties to hastily strike off a list but 10 duties to conscientiously perform in all of life.

Even as we begin, we must remind ourselves of the good news of the gospel. As we turn to the duties God expects of his people, we admit that we cannot perform them with perfection. At various times and in various ways we will inevitably fail. But we rejoice that our justification is found in the perfect obedience of Jesus Christ. Because of his righteousness and payment for our sins, God is willing to accept our incomplete obedience. Wherever we fall short, we have an advocate before the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. The Father is faithful to forgive us, to cleanse us, and to empower us by his Spirit to move forward in obedience. With that in mind, let’s turn to the first of 10 duties of every Christian: The duty of introspection.

Great, Centrisin, I'm on board.  I love to discuss, ponder and try to bring others with their perspective on this journey we call life and bring all the good in the pathway.  Hmm...Introspection, wow wee gonna have some fun there!!!  Been there,done that and still continually doing. Thanks for the article.

Thank you, Controlled.  Many here appreciate your Christian like posts/behavior.  I would think a REAL Christian would appreciate a nudge every now and then that they've wandered off the path and wouldn't attempt to intellectualize or defend their actions. I have NEVER criticized true Christians because Real Christians aren't hypocrits.  They don't just embrace the name to "wear a badge" and say, "See? Look at me", just as Emanuella said in far fewer words.  They embrace Christ's words.

Thank you for being an excellent role model here on this forum.  The forum is better served with your posting here.

Introspection.....there is an excellent link to this topic and the other 9 "Duties" at the link provided above.

Have ablessed day....

Regular Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Butterfly565 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

My belief as a Christian is that I have the duty to worry about my own tree and my own fruit.  I am not burdened with the duty of tending to other trees or fruit.  I do have the duty of showing those who will listen the plan of Salvation.  What they do with it is their decision.  It is not my place to go back and judge them.  

It's the duty of a Christian to live Christ's words, no?  IMO, Christ never said to "bash minorities", kick those who are down and complain they have germs or create trash.  To bait others and boast your getting your "kicks".  If He did, please provide a ferifiable reference.....

The 10 Duties of Every Christian

The Christian life is one of obedience. It is what one author has brilliantly described as “a long obedience in the same direction.” Those who have turned to Jesus Christ in repentance and faith prove the authenticity of their conversion by their obedience. No sooner have they made their profession than they begin to willingly and joyfully search out God’s will and to live in conformity to it. Like David, they learn to plead, “Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it” and find their hearts exclaiming, “Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day” (Psalm 119:35, 97). Christians are taught the commandments of Christ so that they might obey them (Matthew 28:20). They learn they have a duty of prayer, so they pray; they learn they have a duty of forgiveness, so they forgive; they learn they have a duty of diligence, so they work hard and provide generously. Well and good.

But here’s the tricky thing: Duty is destructive when fueled by wicked motives. Hypocrites perform religious duties in order to convince themselves of their righteousness. They think, “Just look at all the good things I do. I must be a Christian!” Deceivers perform religious duties in order to convince others of their righteousness. They say, “Just look at all the good things I do. I’m better than you!” If the mark of true believers is that they joyfully perform all of their God-given duties, the mark of religious deceivers and hypocrites is that they selfishly pick and choose the ones they will perform. Sometimes they will cede only to the duties that are simple, that gratify their pride, or that assuage their guilt. They may be like the religious authorities of Jesus’s day who were sure to “tithe mint and dill and cumin” but “neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness” (Matthew 23:23). Religious hypocrites gloat in the handful of duties they have obeyed, blind to the countless areas where they desperately need God’s grace. The fact is, duty is good and necessary, but it is dangerous and deceptive when fueled by a wicked heart.

Today I am beginning a new series of articles that will examine “The 10 Duties of Every Christian,” but I begin it with some hesitation. I am aware of the ways duty can be misused and misapplied. I know this from reading the Bible, I know this from interacting with others, and I know this from my own life and experience. The danger in a list of 10 duties is that in the hands of sinful people it risks becoming little more than a trite checklist that fosters deception and insincerity. It can be used by hypocrites to further their self-deception and by deceivers to advance their deception of others.

These are not 10 duties to hastily strike off a list but 10 duties to conscientiously perform in all of life.

I want to expose hypocrites, not foster them. I want to unmask deceivers, not cultivate them. And I want to expose and unmask any hypocrisy and deception that dwells within me. For this reason, I am going to proceed in a cautious, deliberate manner. While each of these 10 items will include biblical instruction and describe dutiful Christian living, they will also carefully distinguish between true obedience on the one hand and hypocrisy or deception on the other. In that way, this list of Christian duties will both teach and warn, it will both train and test. It is meant to be far more than a checklist of behaviors, but rather a series of touchstones, measures of the authenticity and quality of our faith. These are not 10 duties to hastily strike off a list but 10 duties to conscientiously perform in all of life.

Even as we begin, we must remind ourselves of the good news of the gospel. As we turn to the duties God expects of his people, we admit that we cannot perform them with perfection. At various times and in various ways we will inevitably fail. But we rejoice that our justification is found in the perfect obedience of Jesus Christ. Because of his righteousness and payment for our sins, God is willing to accept our incomplete obedience. Wherever we fall short, we have an advocate before the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. The Father is faithful to forgive us, to cleanse us, and to empower us by his Spirit to move forward in obedience. With that in mind, let’s turn to the first of 10 duties of every Christian: The duty of introspection.

Great, Centrisin, I'm on board.  I love to discuss, ponder and try to bring others with their perspective on this journey we call life and bring all the good in the pathway.  Hmm...Introspection, wow wee gonna have some fun there!!!  Been there,done that and still continually doing. Thanks for the article.

Thank you, Controlled.  Many here appreciate your Christian like posts/behavior.  I would think a REAL Christian would appreciate a nudge every now and then that they've wandered off the path and wouldn't attempt to intellectualize or defend their actions. I have NEVER criticized true Christians because Real Christians aren't hypocrits.  They don't just embrace the name to "wear a badge" and say, "See? Look at me", just as Emanuella said in far fewer words.  They embrace Christ's words.

Thank you for being an excellent role model here on this forum.  The forum is better served with your posting here.

Introspection.....there is an excellent link to this topic and the other 9 "Duties" at the link provided above.

Have ablessed day....

Thank you for your opinion and have a blessed day too!!  But I still must remain humbled and not conceited!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Fish, wow, quite the statement:   I must have been listening to a very different guy who smeared and shamed any and everyone who dared to disagree with him.   Was the sin freedom of speech?    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Fish, wow, quite the statement:   I must have been listening to a very different guy who smeared and shamed any and everyone who dared to disagree with him.   Was the sin freedom of speech?    

Smeared and shamed everyone? Yes I've thrown a few well intended darts in return. He who is without sin cast the first stone.... and you just did.

Bless your heart dart

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I can't help but ponder, 2nd Corinthians 12:19-21 (Please allow me the time and space) - "Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves to you? We have been speaking in the sight of God as those in Christ; and everything we do, dear friends, is for your strengthening. 

(vs 20) For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be , and you may not find me the way you want me to be.  I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. (vs 21) I am afraid when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery to which they have indulged."

Another point I like to remind myself: Matthew 15:10-11-"Jesus called to the crowd to him and said, 'Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean', but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him unclean."

And finally (if I haven't lost you already), 1st Thessalonians 5:19-22 - "Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophesies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil."

Lord, help us, dear Lord, help us!

Honored Social Butterfly

The young lady is maturing in her understanding of God's will and relationship with Jesus. Takes time and isn't a miraculous event. Work and sacrifice will always be the toolbox of a Christian involved in the lives of others. The love in your heart is often measured by the dirt on your hands.
Here the topic of love would be mostly brotherly love and the many facets to such love. Not all brotherly love is kind and gentle. Think about dealing with dealing with drug addicts (celebrate recovery), soldiers defending the innocent (armed forces) , protecting the community (law enforcement) protecting your neighbors (Paramedics/Firemen) etc. Respect is another form of brotherly love... even if you don't like them. Sometimes that's hard and guess what... love is not designed to be.
Sacrificing your time, your mind, your hands is always better than your words. love is found in truth and often that truth is a hard pill to swallow. Love can be harsh medicine at time and compassion in the next breath.
Jesus said the greatest commandment is the first and the second is to "love your neighbor as yourself"... but do you know what it means to "love yourself"?

Preach the Gospel always... and sometimes use words.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
The young lady is maturing in her understanding of God's will and relationship with Jesus. Takes time and isn't a miraculous event. Work and sacrifice will always be the toolbox of a Christian involved in the lives of others. The love in your heart is often measured by the dirt on your hands.
Here the topic of love would be mostly brotherly love and the many facets to such love. Not all brotherly love is kind and gentle. Think about dealing with dealing with drug addicts (celebrate recovery), soldiers defending the innocent (armed forces) , protecting the community (law enforcement) protecting your neighbors (Paramedics/Firemen) etc. Respect is another form of brotherly love... even if you don't like them. Sometimes that's hard and guess what... love is not designed to be.
Sacrificing your time, your mind, your hands is always better than your words. love is found in truth and often that truth is a hard pill to swallow. Love can be harsh medicine at time and compassion in the next breath.
Jesus said the greatest commandment is the first and the second is to "love your neighbor as yourself"... but do you know what it means to "love yourself"?

With all due respect, Fish, I think you missed her point....it's not about what one say's they are, and what they claim to be; it's about what their behavior shows others.

Say's like she has a far better understanding of Matthew 7:15-20.. ...than most here   Just saying.....

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

With all due respect, Fish, I think you missed her point....it's not about what one say's they are, and what they claim to be; it's about what their behavior shows others.

Say's like she has a far better understanding of Matthew 7:15-20.. ...than most here   Just saying.....

Just wanted to illustrate the points I was making above... maybe you missed them on your first reading, so I highlighted them in red.

The heart is the only place where only you and God share truth. You can't hide it from yourself or God, but you can hide it from the whole world... and even the elect can be fooled. 

Ever see a beautiful trees without fruit? I have... Ever see a scrawny tree produce good fruit?  I have. Point being, we judge a tree by what it produces not how it appears or how it makes us feel. Now keep in mind.... If you don't like the fruit of a particular tree produces, that doesn't make the fruit "bad". So then....  maybe those folks should grow vegetables.

... just sayin'

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Ever see a beautiful tree without fruit?

Yep - have seen a Bonsai tree...

Have a couple...

No fruit - but more beautiful than many trees that produce fruit.

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I agree with everything you posted above in red, yet none of them necessarily have anything to do with Christianity.  I'd bet good Muslim's think the same. If all of the above is true, and THAT makes one a Christian, then it's OK to come on a public forum and trash minorities?  The poor?  Immigrants whose lives are at-risk? Other Americans?  That's acceptable because one has "dirt on their hands"?  Is that what your saying?

Preach the Gospel always... and sometimes use words.  And all other times, reflect Christ's behavior.

Just wanted to illustrate the points I was making above... maybe you missed them on your first reading, so I highlighted them in red.  No, I didn't, but thank you for your concern.

The heart is the only place where only you and God share truth. Yep, but one's actions is where the truth is revealed....it's not as difficult as you'd like to make it....You can't hide it from yourself or God, but you can hide it from the whole world... Why would a Christian "hide it" in a Christian country?  and even the elect can be fooled. 

Ever see a beautiful trees without fruit? I have... Ever see a scrawny tree produce good fruit?  I have. Point being, we judge a tree by what it produces not how it appears or how it makes us feel. OK....you argue with scripture....feel free!  Funny how self proclaimed Christians want to pick and choose which versus are relevant.....

... just sayin'

Honored Social Butterfly

Well said, Fish and Controlled.  Thank you for thoughtful words and "advice".  I hope and pray the "faux's" re-evaluate their hateful posts; they just aren't necessary.

Honored Social Butterfly

Respect is condemning the sin and not the sinner. You don't like what I say fire away, but call me a Nazi and treasonist and condemn blocks of people without knowing what's in their heart , well ... maybe you get the point.

Forrest Gump said it best...

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Respect is condemning the sin and not the sinner. You don't like what I say fire away, but call me a Nazi and treasonist and condemn blocks of people without knowing what's in their heart , well ... maybe you get the point.

Forrest Gump said it best...

You are correct in your 1st para. We do know what is in the hearts of the far right. Total power and they will kill to get it. They have been killing for the last 300 years or more. Our country was founded by breaking away from a far right Govt. so we could have freedom. Our country joined in fighting WW1 against far right govt, and we did the same thing in WW2. Hitler was far right as all Dictators are. We rebuilt Europe after WW2, Help found the UN to make the world a better place. Dictators always stick together. We have one in SA, Turkey, Russia, N. Korea, and the US Trump. Trump wanted money for a wall. Congress would not give it to him so he just took it. Trump went against a court order and kept stealing kids at the border, he stopped sanctions against Russia that were put in place by congress. He just  lifted sanctions against NK put in place by Treasury because he thinks the NK Dictator is a good person (his words). You tell us you support Trump so we do know what is in your heart, and you are happy to be called a Nazi. That is what  some former SS said on the AHC about 2 weeks ago when talking about Hitler. Birds of a feather flock together.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Respect is condemning the sin and not the sinner. You don't like what I say fire away, but call me a Nazi and treasonist and condemn blocks of people without knowing what's in their heart , well ... maybe you get the point.  Yes, I condemn the hateful rhetoric of faux-Christians.  It should be an eye opener for them if they are "true to their heart"....and a BIG "if" for sure.

Forrest Gump said it best...yes he did, I enjoy the occasional box of chocolates.....as we have here.

Honored Social Butterfly

I don’t see how this video is mocking Christians in any way. The message is a great one, uplifting.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I don’t see how this video is mocking Christians in any way. The message is a great one, uplifting.

It is indeed, Manic.  Of course it's only uplifting to those who bother viewing it.  As she said,

Image result for ghandi I like your christ

Honored Social Butterfly

"Start the Love"

What a brilliantly enlightened young lady and what a powerful message.

Criticizing other posters here and this topic without even watching the video of this wonderful young lady is certainly not an example of her message:   "Start the Love"

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Long time ago, someone noticed that the ones most loudly proclaiming their love of God spent a great deal of their time claiming anyone they disliked was also disliked by God. Some things never change. Latest version is to claim those who expose acts of hatred are acting out of hate.

Honored Social Butterfly

Scout and Cent, very good points that need to be considered by all. 

Whatever all wish to discuss is fine as long as most everyone is in agreement that the topic falls within the range of discussion on this site, or to be determined by AARP. I had pointed to the heading on this site being centered around politics but there are other areas of our lives which do overlap into the political arena. 

One concern that I do have concerning overlap is the continued seperation of Church and State. There does seem to be a current effort of the religious right to 

be more involved in governmental affairs, to contribute money to influence legislative decisions, choose judges, and form political groups to elect legislators...does this conflict with the separation? With moral and legal implications. 

Tax returns?

Honored Social Butterfly

Correct me if I'm wrong, Wiilam, but I'm pretty sure you would agree that if someone doesn't wish to discuss a subject or even read a topic, they can easily exercise their right to scroll past the topic amd read another.... 

Honored Social Butterfly

Cent, 

No correction needed. Anyone on this site has the option to participate, or to not participate if that is their wish. 

It’s one of the freedoms that we need to

protect, the freedom of choice. 

Which interestingly also includes the freedom to choose one’s religion!

Protect our Freedoms

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Long time ago, someone noticed that the ones most loudly proclaiming their love of God spent a great deal of their time claiming anyone they disliked was also disliked by God. Some things never change. Latest version is to claim those who expose acts of hatred are acting out of hate.

Right you are, as is often the case, Scout.  Just as those here that claim anyone who exposes racism is the racist, or those who call out police malfeasance are "police haters"  Where does this nonsense/crap originate?  Apparently, Conservatives.

Honored Social Butterfly

To those who mock and critize Christians........guess what?  Your opinion does not count.  We don't answer to you.  It is God who judges us.  His opinion is the only one that matters.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:

To those who mock and critize Christians........guess what?  Your opinion does not count.  We don't answer to you.  It is God who judges us.  His opinion is the only one that matters.  

To all those who think supporting Repiublican policies and following Jesus is possible -think again.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

To all those who think supporting Repiublican policies and following Jesus is possible -think again.

I guess we must first  "think"  and 

1. Define what it is to be a Christian

You in? and can we stay within the frame work of your statement?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

I guess we must first  "think"  and 

1. Define what it is to be a Christian

You in? and can we stay within the frame work of your statement?

If Jesus were here and alive today - he would definitely NOT be a member of any of the religious groups that call themselves Christian - especially the megachurch variety...
Neither would he be a republican/conservative/trump supporter.
44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

To the Faux Christians...God knows the difference between honesty and dishonesty...be very careful!

Belief can be solid...or a figment of your imagination!

Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:

To those "Christians" who mock and critize others... guess what? Your opinion does not count. We don't answer to you. Your God judges you. You do not judge us.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:

Your words : "Your opinion does not count.  We don't answer to you.  It is God who judges us.  His opinion is the only one that matters." 

Your words that I quote are the whole point that the girl is making ...... how ironic !!!

I am a Christian Soosie, I think the girl's words were spot on.  What a brilliantly enlightened young lady.   "His opinion" is to love others, even your enemy.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:

To those who mock and critize (criticize) Christians........guess what?  Your opinion does not count.  We don't answer to you.  It is God who judges us.  His opinion is the only one that matters.  

We "guessed what" long ago - and - FYI - we aren't mocking and criticizing those who are bona fide for real Christians - like the topic title says - it's "A message to the Faux Christians" - you know - those who "talk the talk" but never manage to "walk the walk" -  for instance those who think that -
522740_10151167815831275_1860863063_n.jpg

or believe that the words of Joel Osteen, Franklin Graham, Rick Warren, or Mike Pompeo are worthy of being considered as truthful as Jesus clearly and obviously was...

We're sending a message to the Faux Christians - those who are such blatant phonies...

There are some who would say that because I'm not a Christian, I have no right to speak - or that I should not judge, lest I be judged...

That's fine, I'll take my chances...

Is it necessary for one to be an adulterer to recognize when an act of adultery is committed?

Don't be silly - everyone who isn't a dedicated and delusional faux christian can see and recognize the hypocrisy of "Faux Christians"...

44>dolt45
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png