929 People Were Shot and Killed by Police in 2019

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 689 people have been shot and killed by police in 2019

Message 11 of 18

I hear your pain WebWiseWoman and with valid reason. It is the division that brewed hatred that our society has given preference, imo. The only way out of that perhaps might be trust and then respect. We have indeed been shown far too many instances where the collective of specific peoples have indeed lost the respect and then trust for law enforcement because far too many have been unjustly killed. These people were innocent and just as fearful as the far too many souls lost in mass gun violence.  Imo, this is where the issue of far too many guns are in our society. The police have no idea who is packing and the people who are killed innocently have no idea who could enter their area with evil on their mind. This most recent event, was a young woman who was black/African American in her own house that was killed for no apparent reason. Even if she had a gun in her home, which is what so many are proclaiming they are fighting for the rights to, she still has the right to protect herself and her home. I understand the argument that far too many police are afraid of being gunned down because that too is an issue, but it is their responsibility to be of the mindset of protection, safety and "keeping of the peace" for the society first. Again, I will say in my opinion, there are far too many guns in our society that is just breeding distrust, anxiety and fear.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

This hurts me...

what if we all tried not to be armed and shoot at law enforcement?

Just asking.

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

What if we all respected law enforcement and responded to commands, instead of being offended and reacting negatively?

So, an officer lights me up and asks me to put my right hand out of the window... my response is...

Just saying; everyone grow up and pretend to listen some times?

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

I so agree and appreciate you post.

But I also think, we as citizens, need to respond as wisely.

If a law enforcement officer identified by flashing lights approaches and asks you to put your other hand on the door and step out, then do that! Why would we not? Your ethnicity is not involved at this point.

If we don't and the law enforcement officer sees our other hand move, what should they  think?

I'm saying, we are responsible for our actions; if we ignore law enforcement request, that is on us, not them.

What if we, non-law enforcement family, realized their actions are usually true to protecting their community, and then worked with them to get the bad people off the streets?

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

I just finished listening to Malcolm Gladwell's "Talking to Strangers."  The book starts out with the police stop of Sandra Bland, goes through a bunch of different ways we misread strangers, has a great chapter on police training (Kansas City chapter), and ends up with Sandra Bland's suicide.

One of concerns with police actions like this is that we consider police to be  "only as good as they are trained."  So over the past decade, police forces across the nation have been sinking tons of resources into better training.  But Gladwell's book upends all that.   He says police are acting "precisely" as they "are" trained to do.   To doubt everyone.  Look for the bad.  To go past the regular vehicle stop for failure to signal and see what else is going on there.  

I don't know if it's true.  Gladwell is kind of like a pop culture sociologist.  But it merits some consideration.  When I went on my last ride-along, the cop told me he wouldn't let his wife walk in a particular strip mall we had just passed, not even during the day.  I noticed that there was a daycare there.  I thought he was out of his mind -- how did this young cop become so jaded on the job?  In Montgomery County no less?  There is not that much crime here.  But this cop seems to think "everyone" is bad.  What does that lead to?  Tamir Rice, Botham Jean, Amadou Diallo.  Atatiana Jefferson was just killed by a Ft. Worth cop who shot her through her home's window, when a neighbor requested a wellness check related to her open front door. 

What if we trained police to slow down?  To "not" constantly look for the bad in people?  Or at least not to assume everyone is bad.  The cop who stopped Sandra Bland was scared of her.   What reasonable person would be scared of a woman they pulled over for failure to signal a lane change?   Without more?  Why was that cop scared????  

I don't have the answers.   But I do think this should be looked into more.   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

98 police killed in 2019

Message 16 of 18

@Centristsin2010 

I respect your post; here is the other side of the issue:

98 law enforcement officers lost their lives so far this year: source Officer Down

If I were a mathematician, I'd think odds weren't in their favor, but I don't know...

This is not some twitter thing by a maniac who knows nothing other that money; it's about everyone realizing we are all Americans and we cannot continue to not like each other; we need to respect and learn from each other.

Please do NOT blame all law enforcement for small numbers of bad; just as I won't blame all old caucasian republican men for 1-Oct...

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

Didn't it used to be when you got your day in court? IF you were found guilty or plead guilty, you then got a sentence for such, no? Most of the time you got a jury of your peers??? Judge, jury and trial all in one "call".....just the "call of duty", no?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

929 People Were Shot and Killed by Police in 2019

Message 18 of 18

Fatal Force - 929 people were shot and killed by police in 2019.  Unfortunately, the pace has NOT slowed down, in fact, last year there were far more police killings than the prior year.  Maybe it's the effect of a President who couldn't care any less about human rights, due process or real justice.

This database at the link below is based on news reports, public records, social media and other sources. Read about our methodology.

2019 Database Here

2018 database here

Complete 2017 database here

Complete 2016 database here:

Complete 2015 database here

The greatest country in the history of the world should be able to, and must, do better!

97 were unarmed or a weapon was never identified.....10%!!!!   Almost 20% were mentally ill, and in only 12% of the cases was the law enforcement officer wearing a body camera.   We CAN do better....we NEED to do better.  This is a supposed to be a Christian country, isn't it?

We should be supporting body camera's on all law enforcement personnel while engaging a "suspect".  We must demand more training on dealing with the mentally ill and de-escalating potentially violent situations.  Shooting a suspect in the back should not be tolerated.

Shooting someone because, "I thought they had a weapon" should not be an acceptable excuse.

"Fearing for one's life" while 3 or more law enforcement officers have their guns trained on an unarmed, or lightly armed (knife, stick, rock, Bible) suspect should not be tolerated.

and....

Most agree that if a suspect is shooting at law enforcement personnel or others, it's reasonable to shoot the suspect, but in far too many cases, "shooting first and asking questions later" is not warranted or appropriate in a civilized society.  

Police work is difficult; some cops make it MORE difficult for the good cops when they "jump the gun" and kill innocent people. 

Getting the suspect in front of a judge MUST be a higher priority.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors