Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 9-Year-Old American Girl detained on Her Way to School

Message 1 of 10

Back in the 90's, I worked in El Paso, TX.    Several of my co-workers lived across the border.   I asked why, and they said it was less expensive to live in Juarez.   

For fools who have never lived in a border town, they can whine all they want - they don't know or probably don't care about those who live/work in those communities.     

They also don't know anything about the family values of Mexican families - their whining proves their ignorance.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

I hope they win big $$$$.

Me too, I predict if they win big $$$ they won't be stopped by the police anymore  they will be addressed with respect.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

He's supposed to graduate from HS next year, and plans to attend college. English is required in Texas for graduation, so he most likely can speak English if he wants to. Also read that his lawyer plans to file a lawsuit for wrongful detainment. Quite frankly, I hope they win big $$$$.

But even worse is the conditions he described within the detention center. Money is no longer an excuse. Conditions are not changing. This is a deliberate maltreatment of human beings. It's nothing short of barbaric.

If the humane society found animals being contained in these conditions, the place would have been shut down immediately. The animals would have been removed and placed into to shelters and given vet treatment, cleaned up, given plenty of food, and warm beds.

And yet, this is how we allow human beings to be treated? 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

Neither did two of my BIL's immigrant grandparents. Spoke only Polish.

•  

@GailL1 wrote:

This gives a bit more info on the teenager - circumstances mounted; a comedy of errors on several fronts.

In the MSM interview I saw with him upon release - HE SPOKE NO ENGLISH.  That surprised me.

DesertNews 07/23/2019 - A teenage American citizen has been in immigration custody for almost a mont...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Bonespurs WUSSolini's "policy" is to do as much brutal harm to non-white people as possible, and arresting American Citizens and putting them in for-profit Concentration Camps without any criminal charges being filed BECAUSE THE PEOPLE ARE NOT WHITE is the end-all and be-all of Republican Immigration Policy. This is what the racist followers of Bonespurs love and chant - they don't care he's done NOTHING to make their lives better in the past 3 years - what donny HAS done is brutalize thousands of poor brown people, and that's enough for his followers who believe somehow poor brown people forced the Trumpettes' boss to ship their job to some commie slave in Asia or gave it to a woman or immigrant because the boss was FORCED into the decision by the Government. 

Obviously these folks are beyond help so the only solution is to OUT VOTE THEM IN 2010. Without their Republican enablers spewing hate from DC and all the State Houses, the Trumpettes will probably go back where they came from - the far far right fringe of society - and cease to be a concern for decent folks until another Hitler clone like tRump shows up on Fox.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/cjftrq/border_patrol_detained_a_9yearold_american_girl/

Border Patrol Detained a 9-Year-Old American Girl on Her Way to School for 32 Hours 

It didn't matter that she had her U.S. passport with her.

If a passport isn't enough to prove citizenship, it's not clear what people can do to avoid getting detained by ICE or CBP.

It's an offshoot of Trump's racism.

In President Obama's case, producing a U.S. birth certificate wasn't good enough for Trump to prove where President Obama he was born.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

This gives a bit more info on the teenager - circumstances mounted; a comedy of errors on several fronts.

In the MSM interview I saw with him upon release - HE SPOKE NO ENGLISH.  That surprised me.

DesertNews 07/23/2019 - A teenage American citizen has been in immigration custody for almost a mont...

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@FredSmif 

Posting real life experiences are always appreciated and interesting. Especially when having some connection to the topic. My wife and I also applied for and got the cards when we obtained our passports, no immigration issues. We figured that it would a good idea to have them. Even for US travel, or if needed in the future. 

Thanks again

And to detain people with proper ID, is not right. But trump doesn’t care about that, he just sows fear and division. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

I find this all very interesting to me personally, an Old White Guy. (for some years now I have been an "Angry Old White Guy".)

My wife is an immigrant. Twice. Born in the Philippines, her family emigrated (legally) to Canada when she was 7 and she has Canadian citizenship. Then she and I met and got married some 20 years ago and she was an immigrant to the US. She has US citizenship.

In fact, I recall her swearing-in ceremony in Houston in 2007. It was a massive ceremony with more than 1,000 new citizens on stage, and their families (and me) in the audience. Several speakers were there. The Federal judge who performed the swearing-in was himself a son of immigrants. The speakers and judge gave inspiring discussions of how important immigration has been, and continued to be (at that time in 2007), to the United States.

Fast forward a few years. We are in Florida now. I'm reading news articles about "swarthy people" being stopped in regions within the band adjacent to national borders (I think it is 200 miles, and I don't recall the term, but border patrol officers can and do stop people within this band adjacent to ANY national border...meaning Canadian and Mexican borders as well as our coastal borders) and forced to prove their citizenship, news articles of hastily enforced (often incorrect) deportations. Quite annoying to me to read about this.

And it was after this that Trump got elected! and the conditions got even more pronounced!

So last year I renewed our passports. I had considered getting the new wallet-size passport cards as well; I'd been mentioning to my wife that I wanted her to have one and carry it. She scoffed. Anyway, there I was, ordering our new passports and I didn't get the dang passport cards! Only 1 hour after mailing the package I was kicking myself for not getting the cards as well. And I will surely get them this year after our trip to Canada...but we have to send in our (new) passports with the application (and hopefully the State Dept will send back our still-valid still-new passport books).

My wife speaks better English than many people I have worked with around the country. And she has only a slight Canadian accent tinged with a Texas twang. When she was tested for her citizenship she was "tested" for her English speaking and reading abilities by someone with a much thicker accent than she has. They both laughed. 

Anyway, I will get the passport cards for my wife and for me. And I will insist that she carry this in her wallet. As will I.

Thank you for your attention.  :- )

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

9-Year-Old American Girl detained on Her Way to School

Message 10 of 10

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/cjftrq/border_patrol_detained_a_9yearold_american_girl/

Border Patrol Detained a 9-Year-Old American Girl on Her Way to School for 32 Hours 

It didn't matter that she had her U.S. passport with her.

Last Monday, the Dallas Morning News broke the story of Francisco Erwin Galicia, an 18-year-old U.S. citizen who was detained by Customs and Border Protection (CPB), transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and held in custody for nearly three weeks. ICE held Galicia even though he had documents on him that proved he was born in Texas. But by Tuesday afternoon, a little over 24 hours after the Morning News's story came out, Galicia went free.

As the Morning News reports, Galicia's detention "appears to have been a bureaucratic mix up," caused by an application for a Mexican visa to visit the U.S. filled out in his name. Galicia told the paper that he was held with 60 other men and not allowed to shower for the 23 days he was held, and by the time he was released he had lost 26 pounds. "It was inhumane how they treated us," he said. "It got to the point where I was ready to sign a deportation paper just to not be suffering there anymore. I just needed to get out of there."

The broad strokes of Galicia's story, a U.S. citizen held by immigration authorities and threatened with deportation because of paperwork, is shockingly common. Peter Sean Brown, a Philadelphia man with the same name as an immigrant, was held for weeks and nearly deported to Jamaica. Officials weren't swayed by his state-issued IDs that are only available to people with social security numbers. And in March of this year, 9-year-old Julia Medina was detained by CBP for 32 hours despite her being a U.S. citizen.

Though she's an American, Medina's family lives in Tijuana, and they cross the border each morning to get to school. On a Monday morning, CBP detained her and her 14-year-old brother, Oscar, saying she didn't look like the photo in her passport, according to NBC San Diego. CBP said the elementary student, who was questioned without her parents present, "provided inconsistent information during her inspection." The agency reportedly had no explanation for why it took 32 hours to confirm her citizenship and release her, though in that time they accused her brother, who is also a U.S. citizen, of human smuggling and tried to have him sign a document saying his sister was his cousin. Medina was finally released after her mother pleaded with the Mexican consulate to contact U.S. immigration authorities.

In all of these cases, Galicia, Brown, and Medina had paperwork on them that proved they were U.S. citizens when they were apprehended. But clearly that wasn't enough to prevent detention by an administration that views non-white people as suspicious. If a passport isn't enough to prove citizenship, it's not clear what people can do to avoid getting detained by ICE or CBP.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors