80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 71 of 108

@pc6063 wrote:

Rker321--also because we are speaking about sanctuary cities,  it's important,I think,  to know that village, town, city, and county judges don't have the power to change laws, and so they have to abide by the letter of the law, unlike the upper courts, which May have the power to step in when something they see as illegal is occurring, such as trump's racist immigration EO. 

@pc6063 wrote:

Rker321--also because we are speaking about sanctuary cities,  it's important,I think,  to know that village, town, city, and county judges don't have the power to change laws, and so they have to abide by the letter of the law, unlike the upper courts, which May have the power to step in when something they see as illegal is occurring, such as trump's racist immigration EO. 

Glad to see that you understood my point. Right here in Florida, the mayor of Florida has stated that he will abide by the law and the city of Miami will not be a Sanctuary City. Critics may say that he is not compasionate or whatever they please, But in reality there isn't a law that obliges him  not to act in the manner that he has decided to act. And that is the difference of Justice vs the law. LOL

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 108

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Why does everyone ignore the fact that almost half of all illegal immigrants came  here LEGALLY but overstayed their VISAS? 

--

So what is the difference?  The visa gave them legal permission to enter the country based on their implied agreement to leave when it expired.  They are still illegal.

Go to another country on a visa and not leave when it expires and see what happens.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 108

Why does everyone ignore the fact that almost half of all illegal immigrants came  here LEGALLY but overstayed their VISAS? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 108

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Sorry, I have no intention in entering into an argumante with you on this matter. I know what I said and I stand by my words. sorry that you don't agree with them.

It wasn't directed to you.  Of course you agree with your words 100%.  There's no need to argumante (sic).  I assume you know what you said and stand by your words. But the comment, "Justice is not something that Judges can engage in" remains inaccurate.

IMO, you are taking rker321's words out of context.

In her post, she said, "Courts render judgments that are in accordance with the law. Justice is not somethingi that Judges can engage in.
Compansionate or not, you and I can be compassionate, The Courts, Judges, The President, Congress don't have that luxury.
They have to follow the letter of the law."

Justice by definition is the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause. ... rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason

Now THAT's something worth considering and I will do so.  Smiley Wink

Thank you.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 108

@Roxanna35 wrote:

For example. a father has custody of a child, but has been an abusive husband, and the mother gets the child and runs away with that child and gets caught. What do you think it will happen?

The child will be returned to the father. Of course there will be other court orders etc. but the inmediate action will be returning that child to the father.

There are many many cases, in which the Judge has to follow the law, that is why attorneys cite court precedents in order to make their please heavier.

sometimes justice if it conflicts with the law will not be served.

Justice is the law, not what you, or any individual thinks it should be.  Of course the judge has to "follow the law"; that's why they are there.

Note, in your example, you didn't mention a word about charges against the father.  If he was convicted of the behavior you claim occured, the judge wouldn't have to return the child to the father.

You've confused "justice" with empathy and compassion; they are far different matters.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 108

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Many of our friends on the left feel there is no need to enforce the laws (already on the books) for illegal aliens and are willing to let crime run rampant.

---

I would compare these illegals to someone just moving into one's house without permission and insisting they had a right to be there.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 108

Many of our friends on the left feel there is no need to enforce the laws (already on the books) for illegal aliens and are willing to let crime run rampant.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 108

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 108

A recent poll in Texas shows about 50% opposition. Break it down by party, and you have 65% of D's approve, 78% of R's oppose, Indies split 48% oppose while 30% approve; then throw in the 13% who don't know/don't care.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/02/21/uttt-poll-texans-take-hard-line-immigration-and-refugees/

Given that urban areas have the greatest concentration of D's, while R's are mostly non-urban, D's are actually closer to the problem. People who live in the cities and pay taxes there have a certain resentment of people on the outside telling them how to run and manage their city resources. The cities do not have resources to detain everyone that is here illegally, so they manage the serious criminals through the courts, and let the court system judge the outcomes. 

There is a great need for comprehensive and fair immigration reform. One of the most practical solutions is to revitalize the guest worker program, and get those people registered to a legal status. That would probably take care of a large percentage of current illegals. The second is to register the DACA students. They do not know any other country. They go to school here, are educated, speak English, and could automatically be enrolled to take the citizenship test upon graduation of either high school or college - Congress should decide.  Of course, other issues need to be dealt with such as student visas and being able to track people who do not leave when their visas expire.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 108

For example. a father has custody of a child, but has been an abusive husband, and the mother gets the child and runs away with that child and gets caught. What do you think it will happen?

The child will be returned to the father. Of course there will be other court orders etc. but the inmediate action will be returning that child to the father.

There are many many cases, in which the Judge has to follow the law, that is why attorneys cite court precedents in order to make their cases  

sometimes justice,if it conflicts with the law will not be served.

no name
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors