It’s open enrollment season for Affordable Care Act health insurance! Here are 11 things you need to know.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 61 of 108

Of course the 'right' to be in this country is established by law and not by anyone's opinion.

Suggest anyone go to Mexico or any other country in the world and claim they have the "right" to stay in that country.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 108

@rker321 wrote:

Illegal entry into this country is considered a crime. first time offenders are slapped with a fine and it is considered a misdemeanor. a second entrance into this country as an illegal individual is considered a felon. Sorry no civil court, 

Actually, it's both. I stand corrected. My apologies.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/07/is-illegal-immigration-a-crime-improper-entry-v-unlawful-pr...

Improper Entry Is a Crime

To be clear, the most common crime associated with illegal immigration is likely improper entry. Under federal criminal law, it is misdemeanor for an alien (i.e., a non-citizen) to:

• Enter or attempt to enter the United States at any time or place other than designated by immigration officers;
  • Elude examination or inspection by immigration officers; or
  • Attempt to enter or obtain entry to the United States by willfully concealing, falsifying, or misrepresenting material facts.

The punishment under this federal law is no more than six months of incarceration and up to $250 in civil penalties for each illegal entry. These acts of improper entry -- including the mythic "border jumping" -- are criminal acts associated with illegally immigrating to the United States.

Like all other criminal charges in the United States, improper entry must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in order to convict.

Unlawful Presence Is Not a Crime

Some may assume that all immigrants who are in the United States without legal status must have committed improper entry. This simply isn't the case. Many foreign nationals legally enter the country on a valid work or travel visa, but fail to exit before their visa expires for a variety of reasons.

But mere unlawful presence in the country is not a crime. It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties, not criminal. Chief among these civil penalties is deportation or removal, where an unlawful resident may be detained and removed from the country. Unlawful presence can also have negative consequences for a resident who may seek to gain re-entry into the United States, or permanent residency.

Both improper entry and unlawful presence should be avoided by any immigrant to the United States, but an illegal alien cannot be criminally charged or incarcerated simply for being undocumented. To learn more, check out FindLaw's section on Immigration Law.

- See more at: http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/07/is-illegal-immigration-a-crime-improper-entry-v-unlawful-pr...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 108

Afisher HERO-YOU ARE MY NEW HERO--(thinkin' my computer just may have a virus)

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 108

Afisher--OMG-seriously you are my new !!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 108

Apparently some here don't know a lot about real things:

1.   There is no such thing ( aka legal defininition) as a "sanctuary city".   So being against a myth is great.     

2.    The detractors in their hate sort of misses the point:     If a person comes to the US and overstays their Visa - how exactly is the location of that person supposed to occur?    

3.    Some here appear to believe that anyone crossing the Mexican border are by their definition undocumented and that again is incorrect.    

All of which means that people are stupid and are relying on rhetoric and hate  to fuel there self-righteous demands.   

That being said - for those of you who somehow believe that you can identify a person who no longer has the "right" to be in this country,  get in your buggy and go find then, after all the US is a really small country.   /s

If you are going to rant and rave- do it with facts....how about that?   http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 108

@rker321 wrote:

Illegal entry into this country is considered a crime. first time offenders are slapped with a fine and it is considered a misdemeanor. a second entrance into this country as an illegal individual is considered a felon. Sorry no civil court, 

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/07/is-illegal-immigration-a-crime-improper-entry-v-unlawful-pr...

Under federal criminal law, it is misdemeanor for an alien (i.e., a non-citizen) to:

• Enter or attempt to enter the United States at any time or place other than designated by immigration officers;
  • Elude examination or inspection by immigration officers; or
  • Attempt to enter or obtain entry to the United States by willfully concealing, falsifying, or misrepresenting material facts.

The punishment under this federal law is no more than six months of incarceration and up to $250 in civil penalties for each illegal entry. These acts of improper entry -- including the mythic "border jumping" -- are criminal acts associated with illegally immigrating to the United States.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 108

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 108

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Many of our friends on the left feel there is no need to enforce the laws (already on the books) for illegal aliens and are willing to let crime run rampant.

The problem is not merely one of enforcement; it is one of resources. Being in the country illegally is not a criminal matter, it is a civil one. They only go through criminal courts when arrested and charged with a crime.

Otherwise, anyone apprehended for no other reason than being here illegally must be turned over to a federal detention center. The detention centers are full, and the immigration courts are overloaded, and there are not enough judges to process all of the cases. This is why the Obama administration only sought to deport serious criminals, and I might add even caught a certain amount of flack from activists farther to the left.

I have no problem with anyone deporting the criminals. But there is no reason why the laws cannot be updated to help document those who only need work status approval or the children who fall under DACA. Present law will allow some overstays to obtain legal documentation and pay a fine, but there is no process to get legal status for those who came here undocumented in the first place. There are just too many of them to deport, so why not give them a path to legal status? Also, I would support a law that would give DACA children a path to citizenship.

Otherwise, do those on the right support raising federal taxes to pay for additional detention centers, courts, judges, etc. to process all illegals out of the country?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 108

The difference is entering the country illegally is a felony, while overstaying a visa is a misdemeanor. Also Federal Courts in Oregon and Pennsylvania have ruled that it's illegal to detain anyone based on a request from ICE, so the most common "civil disobedience" practed by "sanctuary cities" is perfectly legal.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 108

I am going to disagree with you on that statement. most of the illegals have come from Mexico and Central America and they have come thru the southern border.  Most of the undocumented aliens are Mexican Nationals. and have been here in the US. for years and years. 
The amount of Central Americans that come by plane are not in great number, obtaining tourist visas for many is not an easy feat.  It is a lot easier to simply cross the border.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22