Join AARP panelists live Nov. 18 for a free webinar on ride-sharing. Register now to learn more about apps like Uber and Lyft.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 51 of 108

Well...I don't think Texas has any so-called sanctuary cities, but... it does have  a whole bunch of agricultural and other businesses such as food service and tourism that uses imported labor.  Some of that imported labor is undocumented.  Some of that undocumented labor is paid for "under the table" and "off the books". That means taxes don't get paid and that might affect you too. 

I'll just bet most of the employers who go along with that are good republicans, maybe even voted for "the donald".  Maybe even kicked in a few bucks...or a whole lot. Why, I can't imagine..maybe you know.

I'll just bet there are statistics that show what percent of total labor used for Texas business is imported and undocumented, maybe even identifies the economic segment that does it most. Might even be figures that show the amount of competitive advantage those businesses get by using undocumented imported labor.

I'll just bet that guy "Hightower" knows and has data on it.  He may have statistics even for States WITH sanctuary cities.  Just thought you might know too.. being that it goes on in your own back yard...so to speak. 

I was just wonderin'...and it probably does have something to do with the matter of "sanctuary cities".  No 'possibly' about it.  Once they get here, they don't want to go back.  Voila..."sanctuary cities" happen.  See how that goes?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 108

@umbarch64 wrote:

...this is kinda off the topic...

--

Yes, I would believe it comes across as being off-topic.  But he is a Democrat and was once the state Agricultural Commissioner.  He ran for Railroad Commissioner, the person who regulates the oil and gas business, but was defeated by Rick Perry.  So what does it have to do with the discussion at hand?   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 108

Hey Gramps...this is kinda off the topic...I couldn't help wondering if you ever came across a guy named Jim Hightower.  As I recall, he was some kind of official in the State of Texas.  He doesn't do that anymore, so I'm told, and now does other stuff.  One of those things is publish a newsletter called "The Hightower Lowdown". 

A friend sent me a copy quite some time ago and I continue to subscribe.  It is mostly political stuff.  Disputable, perhaps, but I have yet to find actual phony, fake or misleading data in it....maybe a little biased when it comes to opinion, but accurate. 

You are from that neck of the woods...have you come across him or his publication? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 108

@MaVolta wrote:

I have not understood the outcry on the left against Obama having deported serious criminals, but some did.

At the same time, resources are a problem. How else do you explain the fact that detention centers are full, immigration courts have a backlog and not enough judges to process the cases at already at hand? 

--

Ok, the lady that was deported when she made her regular appointment with the authorities had been scheduled for some years.  Why was she still in this country?  What about other cases where someone had their day in immigration court, but was still around? 

There was a reference to Hitler's Germany by a poster, but this is not the case.  The laws have been on the books and has been flaunted by illegals.  No one is being singled out except that they have broken the law.  A fair and just law.  That is the problem, all the emotionalism about enforcing it.

Those affected knew very well of the penalities for entering illegally and for bringing their children in.  Now they are playing on some Americans' emotionalism.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 108

There is much sense in what you have stated. The problem has always been, that this is and always has been a political issue 

Both Parties have never done a thing, because both parties wanted to be in bed with the Hispanics, because they realize that the Hispanic vote was becoming an important percent in any election.

Now, that we have Trump, and Trump was elected because his constitutents wanted him to do whatever to deal with the illegal inmigration issue. 
No surprise that Trump now is delivering on the promise that he made during the campaign.

But if we really are fair minded people, blaming Trump for everything is not really fair. 

This issue has been in the back burner of many Administrations. Reagan, Clinton, Bushes, and Obama that I can remember. and none of them really did nothing to resolve this issue. 

So, now, we find ourselved in the worse position that we should have ever been. 
Hoping that Congress, has the guts to really come up with an Inmigration bill. they have one passed by the Senate, perhaps they can start with that one.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 108

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

In my opinion the resources are there and it's not just tracking those who overstay their visas, but those who enter the country illegally in the first place.  Those coming here on visas are no doubt better scrutinized before being allowed in.

Take the case of the lady who had been reporting to the authorities for years before finally being deported, and the outcry against that.  And she had committed a crime here by using other people's social security numbers.

Look at the outcry about that deportation.  "We" are the problem, not resources.

As I said before, I have no problem with deporting the illegals who commit other crimes, including fraud. Fraud is a problem since many illegals use fraudulent documents to evade authorities. I have not understood the outcry on the left against Obama having deported serious criminals, but some did.

At the same time, resources are a problem. How else do you explain the fact that detention centers are full, immigration courts have a backlog and not enough judges to process the cases at already at hand? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 108
Spoiler
 I heard someone once say that laws become laws because they are driven by the voice of the people. we are squabbling back-and-forth about immigration, (wouldn't it be nice if the Republicans wouldn't have obstructed so much under Obama and something was done Before this became a crisis? ) It is apparent that we have one or more amongst us who work or worked in this environment and who know the law, but who also see the need for reform. I would suggest this is something that we write our congressmen and senators about. I 
still object to the ruthlessness and police state mentality this aministration is taking and will make this clear. Whether we like the laws or not, there is a right way and wrong way to implement them and this is definitely the wrong way.
we  need to make our voices heard,  yet again and again.
( Might want to talk about impeachment while you're at it.)
Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 108

@MaVolta wrote:

That is true. But we are still faced with the dilemma of what can and cannot be done with the resources available.

It is also true that we should be able to track people who overstay their visas, but that system is not in place. I would support having that done, but it requires resources, and that has to come from Congress.

--

In my opinion the resources are there and it's not just tracking those who overstay their visas, but those who enter the country illegally in the first place.  Those coming here on visas are no doubt better scrutinized before being allowed in.

Take the case of the lady who had been reporting to the authorities for years before finally being deported, and the outcry against that.  And she had committed a crime here by using other people's social security numbers.

Look at the outcry about that deportation.  "We" are the problem, not resources.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 108

Fischer, there are many Mexican nationals that cross the border in San Ysidro and they have proper documentation and visas. 
and also many of other Central Americans, just crossing the border doesn't make anyone an illegal or undocumented alien.

so, I presume that we are not speaking about the same circumstances.

We are simply speaking about individuals that cross the border without any type of documentation that will allow them to be in this country.

are we now on the same page?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 108

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Of course the 'right' to be in this country is established by law and not by anyone's opinion.

Suggest anyone go to Mexico or any other country in the world and claim they have the "right" to stay in that country.

That is true. But we are still faced with the dilemma of what can and cannot be done with the resources available.

It is also true that we should be able to track people who overstay their visas, but that system is not in place. I would support having that done, but it requires resources, and that has to come from Congress.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22