Join Dr. Catherine Alicia Georges and Amy Goyer at 10:15 a.m. ET Wednesday for an AARP telephone town hall on family caregiving issues. Register here.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 21 of 108

Rich, what article are you speaking about? so much has been written in this thread that I have probably missed that article.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 108

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

Really hard to believe that the majority of Americans are OK with the way this is being carried out when we see massive protests all over the country with regard to this issue.  Yeah well just sayin'

--

Have to agree with Rker's post about the Mexican flag being carried through our streets.  Reminds me of the WWII newsreels, we saw at the movies, of the German flag being carried through the nations they conquered.

Wonder what would be said about carrying the American flag through Mexico City's streets?

Well, from the source of the article, I would say the odds are that the survey was a tad biased.  The fact that they don't show the questions or attribute who gave the survey is a pretty good indication. We are used to surveys in the legitimate press which actually use a reasonable statistical sample. I suspect this is more like a "What character are you in Game of Thrones" level of integrety. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 108

@jimc91 wrote:

I agree, I do not support sanctuary cities.

NO PERSON, American or Foreign should have "sanctuary" from the law of our land while standing on American soil.

I do not get sanctuary from the LAW, do you?

--

Getting back to the original topic, there is no such thing as 'sanctuary cities' or even locations in any law of this country.  Some seem to think that there is sanctuary in churches but there is no such thing in our laws either.

If illegals should have sanctuary in a city or building, then the same privileges should be extended to others who break any law. 

Either we have laws against illegal immigration, or other crimes or we have anarchy.  Even Obama had said that we were a nation of laws, but he picked and chose which ones to enforce.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 108

@pc6063 wrote:

Really hard to believe that the majority of Americans are OK with the way this is being carried out when we see massive protests all over the country with regard to this issue.  Yeah well just sayin'

--

Have to agree with Rker's post about the Mexican flag being carried through our streets.  Reminds me of the WWII newsreels, we saw at the movies, of the German flag being carried through the nations they conquered.

Wonder what would be said about carrying the American flag through Mexico City's streets?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 108

Yes being an American citizen and having been thru the whole process has given me an understanding of many issues and process. But my real experience and education has been in the social Service department dealing with all the programs like Welfare, Medical and Food Stamps and the rules, also with the District Atty. as a paralegal  dealing with many illegal individuals and their problems. California because of their greatest illegal people. I was able to learn and see many of their problesm and issues that they encountered.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 108

@MaVolta wrote:

There is a practical problem that has to be dealt with, and only Congress can fix it, because you just can't round up and deport 11 million people. Or if you do, you need money and resources to do it. So raise taxes and show us the money.

Immigration law is complex and there are multiple examples of immigration status and laws applicable to each. @rker321 has a better understanding than most of us from having been through the system. But even immigration law professionals have different opinions and disagreements on aspects of the laws. 

--

I doubt that is is lack of resouces, but just reluctance to do so because of the emotionalism that we are seeing now that this administration has decided to do something about it besides just throwing money at it and accomplishing nothing.  There are those who has been through immigration proceedings, ordered to leave, yet nothing being done to deport them.

As far as Rker having been through the system, so have I in a sense.  My wife is also a legal immigrant [now citizen] of 45 years, and both she and I are familiar with both issues on the part of her native country and here in the United States.  She was mostly involved in her former country, since she was a qualified attorney there, and I mostly handled issues here. 

She gave up more, much more as her family was well off, than these illegals to come here, but also began the steps to citizenship to becoming an American immediately.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 108

Really hate to burst your bubble. Each and every time that the Hispanic Community has seen any Administration try to deal with the undocumented issue, I still remember many of them marching with the Mexican flags that really outraged many Americans.
Now they are seeing that this is serious for them. and they are doing what they can in order to see if they have backing from the regular Americans.

But, many HIspanics that have come legally into this country, have expressed their feelings as to the illegal issue.

So, like I have said. waiting to see where all of this is going, before I raise my voice against any of this.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 108

RE majority of Americans support what is happening with regard to immigration. just want to direct everyone to Richva's  post yesterday  that explains where this information seems to have started.Really hard to believe that the majority of Americans are OK with the way this is being carried out when we see massive protests all over the country with regard to this issue.  Yeah well just sayin'

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 108

@pc6063 wrote:

people are upset now because of the brutality with which this is being carried out, because of the lack of empathy with regard to tearing families apart

--

What brutality?  What lack of emphathy?  This guy in Houston who is to be deported has been given ten years to take care of things.  These people knew the score when they committed a crime, misdemeanor, and if they return after being deported it becomes a felony.

They are the ones who have brought this upon themselves and their children, not anyone else.  If you crossed over into Mexico do you think their government would be as lenient on you?

Are you willing to allow someone to just move into your house and allow them to say they have a right to be there?  Same difference since that is what these people are doing to our country.

Besides one has to question as to their allegence, to their native country or the United States since a good many doesn't even bother to learn our language.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 108

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

I don't remember mass demonstrations as Mr. Obama deported people. it is the way and the brutality and the obvious racism behind it, which has people outraged

--

Of course not.  Whether one agrees with this administration or not, it doesn't take much for people to become outraged at even legal actions.   That is where propaganda comes in, and there has been plenty of that since Hillary lost the election.  This administration has done much wrong, but there has been an equal amount of propaganda spead in balance.

And of course what we've seen about illegals is mostly emotional based propaganda by those against it.

Propaganda??? Hardly. And it has nothing to do with Hillary. Immigration reform has been a hot-button issue in elections for many election cycles now.

There is a practical problem that has to be dealt with, and only Congress can fix it, because you just can't round up and deport 11 million people. Or if you do, you need money and resources to do it. So raise taxes and show us the money.

Immigration law is complex and there are multiple examples of immigration status and laws applicable to each. @rker321 has a better understanding than most of us from having been through the system. But even immigration law professionals have different opinions and disagreements on aspects of the laws. 

There is also the fact that law enforcement has turned a blind eye to illegals for decades here in Texas (and possibly elsewhere). Even Gov. Perry got push-back from the business community when he made some attempts to punish employers for hiring illegals, and he backed off. 

Immigration laws have changed and evolved over time, and we are well past time for reform, once again. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22