Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 11 of 108

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I think you proved my point.

--

Of course a person accepts what they want to hear don't they?  And of course anything that would cast doubt on one's opinion is questionable.  You might consider this site which indicates that 74 percent of Californians want sanctuary cities ended; 65 percent of Hispanics, 70 percent of independents, 73 percent of Democrats and 82 percent of Republicans.

Why not just do away with visa and passport requirements and allow anyone who wants to move here just feel welcome to come on in and settle where they want? 

Consider this from the link posted here:

An October 2014 report from ICE that was made public in 2015 detailed 276 sanctuary cities that released 8,145 illegal migrants of whom 1,867 were later arrested 4,298 times with multiple violations amounting to 7,491 charges. Illegal migrants are 3.5 percent of the U.S. population but are 37.6 percent of federal sentences and 13.6 percent of all offenders sentenced for crimes nationwide. The undocumented comprise 12 percent of murder sentences, 20 percent of kidnapping sentences and 16 percent of drug trafficking sentences. Unauthorized migrants are about 7 percent of the California population but over 12 percent of the state prison population. 

Sorry, it was so obious that the other poll was bogus I misunderstood your intent. My bad.  This is an interesting poll.  Once again, how was it conducted? What was the sample size?  How did they assure they were getting a representative cross section of the state?  All that boring scientific stuff. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 108

@rker321 wrote:

And I haave my own personal doubts with thos numbers Tx. I was in Ca. when Prop 185 with a tremendous margin. so, I sort of doubt those numbers a lot.

--

As I have posted everyone has their own take on polls, information, etc.

But of course what we normally always hear is from those who are vocal, not necessarily from the average citizen.  I have heard comments from many people regarding illegals....both from those born here and from naturalized immigrants.   The most vocal against illegals are those who followed the legal path.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 108

And I haave my own personal doubts with thos numbers Tx. I was in Ca. when Prop 185 with a tremendous margin. so, I sort of doubt those numbers a lot.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 108

@Richva wrote:

I think you proved my point.

--

Of course a person accepts what they want to hear don't they?  And of course anything that would cast doubt on one's opinion is questionable.  You might consider this site which indicates that 74 percent of Californians want sanctuary cities ended; 65 percent of Hispanics, 70 percent of independents, 73 percent of Democrats and 82 percent of Republicans.

Why not just do away with visa and passport requirements and allow anyone who wants to move here just feel welcome to come on in and settle where they want? 

Consider this from the link posted here:

An October 2014 report from ICE that was made public in 2015 detailed 276 sanctuary cities that released 8,145 illegal migrants of whom 1,867 were later arrested 4,298 times with multiple violations amounting to 7,491 charges. Illegal migrants are 3.5 percent of the U.S. population but are 37.6 percent of federal sentences and 13.6 percent of all offenders sentenced for crimes nationwide. The undocumented comprise 12 percent of murder sentences, 20 percent of kidnapping sentences and 16 percent of drug trafficking sentences. Unauthorized migrants are about 7 percent of the California population but over 12 percent of the state prison population. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 108

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

The fact that they don't show the questions or attribute who gave the survey is a pretty good indication. We are used to surveys in the legitimate press which actually use a reasonable statistical sample. I suspect this is more like a "What character are you in Game of Thrones" level of integrety. 

--

Of course with the internet search engines it's relatively easy to find the source of the poll, including who conducted it and who requested it.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/320487-poll-americans-overwhelmingly-oppose-sanctuary-cit...

The online survey of 2,148 registered voters was conducted between Feb. 11 and 13. The partisan breakdown is 39 percent Democrat, 30 percent Republican, 27 percent independent and 5 percent other. The Harvard–Harris Poll survey is a collaboration of the Harvard Center for American Political Studies and The Harris Poll.

Thanks Tx. I think you proved my point. The survey was from respondents who "self selected" rather than trying to get a reasonable distribution from the population. It was an online survey so they pushed it to their own mailing list. There were 2K respondents which is too small a sample size to determine if someone likes your burger joint much less how the population as a whole feels about any issue.  I appreciate the help. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 108

Everything that you have posted is acceptable, the trick is going to be in the uniformity. 
Unfortunately, exceptions will have to be made due to the complexity of the issue.

I wish that laws could be black and white like you describe.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 108

Perhaps we can all agree the United States should be a country governed by just laws enforced uniformly and equally for all within its boundaries. That the Constitiution defines rights and who is entitled to them.  That consequences from enforcement will inevitably occur. 

Perhaps we can also all agree that:

-IF the law is just, consequences of enforcement will be acceptable both to the citizens of the United States and to all others who have not acted in violation with the law who happen to be within the jurisdiction of the enforcing agency. Neither the law nor its enforcement may abbrogate human rights we say are self-evident. I think that position is rational.  

I think the following is also rational.

-IF the law is unjust, upon recognition of that fact, it must be changed immediately or placed in abeyance until the unjust condition is cured. 

-Enforcement must be precisely as the law provides. There shall be no discretion for exception from the law unless that specific exception is provided for within the law itself.  All agencies and agents of governments within the United States shall administer, implement and enforce the entirety of the law.  

-IF or WHEN the Law is deemed unjust, unfair, or in conflict with other Federal Law, the Law must be amended, altered to conform or repealed by action of the legislature under direction of the courts. 

There's more of course, there always it....but try that for a start.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 108

Thank you Rich, I had forgotten that article.  LOL

I have no idea as to how the mayority of Americans feel regarding the Sanctuary cities. so I tend not to believe any poll, Nobody asked me.
And, my opinion, I believe that many cities rejected the issue, because they didn't want to deal with a problem that belonged to the Federal government. They stated that they were not going to put their resourced to work with ICE and do their jobs. 
I have to agree with that position.
As far as the mayority of American rejecting those sanctuary cities, that is a heck of a leap.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 108

@Richva wrote:

The fact that they don't show the questions or attribute who gave the survey is a pretty good indication. We are used to surveys in the legitimate press which actually use a reasonable statistical sample. I suspect this is more like a "What character are you in Game of Thrones" level of integrety. 

--

Of course with the internet search engines it's relatively easy to find the source of the poll, including who conducted it and who requested it.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/320487-poll-americans-overwhelmingly-oppose-sanctuary-cit...

The online survey of 2,148 registered voters was conducted between Feb. 11 and 13. The partisan breakdown is 39 percent Democrat, 30 percent Republican, 27 percent independent and 5 percent other. The Harvard–Harris Poll survey is a collaboration of the Harvard Center for American Political Studies and The Harris Poll.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 108

@rker321 wrote:

Rich, what article are you speaking about? so much has been written in this thread that I have probably missed that article.

This is the article that the poster uses to justify the statement.  The Amercan First dot com. Looks like right wing, white extremists to me.  

http://theamericanfirst.com/new-poll-80-americans-overwhelmingly-oppose-sanctuary-cities-sanctuary-c...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors