Join AARP panelists live Nov. 18 for a free webinar on ride-sharing. Register now to learn more about apps like Uber and Lyft.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 101 of 108

@CriticalThinking wrote:

"My primary complaint has been that the Obama Administration simply did not enforce the current laws on the books."

Factually incorrect. Based upon what I've read, the Obama Adminstration was tougher on immigrants than any other recent President. His administration went after the illegal immigrant thugs.

As for Sanctuary cities, I don't understand the concept. Federal Law trumps (no pun intended) state and local laws, so how can a city shelter illegal immigrants from federal law? It doesn't make any sense.

You just made my point.

The Obama administration did not enforce the current law of the land but chose to implement "catch and release" policy.

That policy is going by the wayside.

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 102 of 108

"My primary complaint has been that the Obama Administration simply did not enforce the current laws on the books."

Factually incorrect. Based upon what I've read, the Obama Adminstration was tougher on immigrants than any other recent President. His administration went after the illegal immigrant thugs.

As for Sanctuary cities, I don't understand the concept. Federal Law trumps (no pun intended) state and local laws, so how can a city shelter illegal immigrants from federal law? It doesn't make any sense.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 108

@NerdyMom wrote:

ICE has needed more staff for a long time.   Trump says he's hiring 10,000.   That's a start.   And there are also delays in their federal immigration hearing system.   That needs more staff, too.  And judges.  The adjudication process averages two years now.  

IMO the federal government has to stop blaming the states for not doing the federal government's job.  Take some responsibility. 

I agree.  

My primary complaint has been that the Obama Administration simply did not enforce the current laws on the books.

That is in the process of changing and for the better IMO.

Illegal Alien is NOT a RACE.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 108

I can't find the original poll, but I'm curious as to how they defined a sanctuary city.  There is no federal definition of it. It's mostly a public relations measure by certain cities to make undocumented immigrants feel safe.  

States are never required to enforce immigration law.   That is the sole responsibility of the federal government.   And the federal government has jurisdiction to do that everywhere, including sanctuary cities.  States and local police forces can opt in under the (287g) program.  But that's not mandatory. 

As far as I know, every single jurisdiction in the US sends fingerprints of those arrested to the FBI to check for outstanding warrants, so the federal government knows who is where and when, within the jail system.  The FBI shares this information with ICE and has done so since 9/11.

Most ICE detainers are civil in nature and the states don't have to honor them under the law. However, most jurisdictions honor an ICE detainer that has probable cause, if ICE can get there before release on local charges.  It is unconstitutional to hold someone without probable cause.  A violation of the 4th amendment. 

ICE has needed more staff for a long time.   Trump says he's hiring 10,000.   That's a start.   And there are also delays in their federal immigration hearing system.   That needs more staff, too.  And judges.  The adjudication process averages two years now.  

IMO the federal government has to stop blaming the states for not doing the federal government's job.  Take some responsibility. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 108

Miseeker, I don't understand your reply, what do you mean by it?

by chance did you read my post on the subject?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 108

@jimc91 wrote:

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.30.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.30.36 AM.png

In a new poll by Harvard-Harris, some 80 percent of American voters said they disapproved of localities not notifying federal immigration officials when they come in contact with an illegal alien, a policy that has been adopted by major cities such as New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

The poll, exclusively reviewed by The Hill, also found that President Donald Trump has majority support with the American people when it comes to overhauling the nation’s legal immigration system.

About 52 percent of Americans said they supported Trump’s two executive orders on immigration, which calls for the construction of a U.S. southern border wall, demands federal funds be stripped from sanctuary cities, and ramps up the number of Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.

Roughly 77 percent of Americans said they supported “comprehensive immigration reform,” with only 23 percent saying they opposed the overhaul.

“While there is broad support for comprehensive immigration reform, there is overwhelming opposition to sanctuary cities,” Harvard–Harris Co-director Mark Penn told the Hill.

http://theamericanfirst.com/new-poll-80-americans-overwhelmingly-oppose-sanctuary-cities-sanctuary-c...

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.34.10 AM.png

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MY COMMENT:

I agree, I do not support sanctuary cities.

NO PERSON, American or Foreign should have "sanctuary" from the law of our land while standing on American soil.

I do not get sanctuary from the LAW, do you?

I guess you are no longer against federal over reach. The US citizens in these areas are apparently FOR it. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 108

Frankly I don't care about any poll regarding this issue. because I beleive that they don't ask the correct questions.

I suspect that in those questions there is a lot of subjectivity in them in order to get the results that they want

Like many of you know, I have worked on this issue for many years. since before Reagan and his amnisty, and after welfare reform. and have been extremely critical of many administrations regarding this issue.

Yes, we are a country of inmigrants. yes, we are in need of many of these workers in many of our industries. 
But, we still need to have respect for our own laws. and there is not doubt, no matter how you want to paint it, that illegal inmigration is not the way to do so.

Of course, our inmigration laws have been disastrous in many ways and manners, and  repeating myself for the million time.

We need a comprehensive law that needs to deal with student visas, and all the alternative visas that we have in which individuals don't leave the country when they are suppose to.

We need to completely overhaul the inmigration court system which is a disgrace. 
We need stiff penalties to employers that employ illegals

And most important. we need a comprehensive Guest Worker program that will deal with the many jobs that are done by illegals today.
Now we have an issue of millions of illegals living in this country with no available program in which they can apply for legal entry, without leaving the country. 

The wall will solve nothing. but a well conducted inmitgration  law, will.

It is a complicated issue. and to my knowledge even today, is really not being seen in the manner that will solve this problem permanently.

Provide those that qualify, with a way to apply for legal entry, and inform what the rules will be to those who apply. What are the reasons for denial. to those illegals. and enforce  them  and  then proceed with  the necessary deportations without delay. Not that complicated, If Congress wants to do their job.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 108 of 108

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.30.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.30.36 AM.png

In a new poll by Harvard-Harris, some 80 percent of American voters said they disapproved of localities not notifying federal immigration officials when they come in contact with an illegal alien, a policy that has been adopted by major cities such as New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

The poll, exclusively reviewed by The Hill, also found that President Donald Trump has majority support with the American people when it comes to overhauling the nation’s legal immigration system.

About 52 percent of Americans said they supported Trump’s two executive orders on immigration, which calls for the construction of a U.S. southern border wall, demands federal funds be stripped from sanctuary cities, and ramps up the number of Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.

Roughly 77 percent of Americans said they supported “comprehensive immigration reform,” with only 23 percent saying they opposed the overhaul.

“While there is broad support for comprehensive immigration reform, there is overwhelming opposition to sanctuary cities,” Harvard–Harris Co-director Mark Penn told the Hill.

http://theamericanfirst.com/new-poll-80-americans-overwhelmingly-oppose-sanctuary-cities-sanctuary-c...

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.34.10 AM.png

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MY COMMENT:

I agree, I do not support sanctuary cities.

NO PERSON, American or Foreign should have "sanctuary" from the law of our land while standing on American soil.

I do not get sanctuary from the LAW, do you?

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: