AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 80% AMERICANS OVERWHELMINGLY OPPOSE SANCTUARY CITIES

Message 91 of 108

rker321--Thank you so much for the information.  Still have to say that those brought here as kids without their consent being under threat of deportation bothers me.  I know that for now the dreamers are safe, but just like those little kids left at the borders, (I'd forgotten about that,) I worry that they will be left alone. Now that you bring that surge of chikdren across the border back to mind, to be honest, I was wondering what Mr. Obama was doing during that time as well.

But I did--and continue to-- see him as such a compassionate person--maybe that's why this bothers so many of us and why it's hard to remain subjective--whereas Obama was very often seen as kind, Trump is seen as a crude, brutal psuedo leader.  Because Mr. Obama went about this distasteful problem so quietly, for the most part, we weren't being slapped in the face with it each and every day. Trump loves the stir this is causing--gives him more fodder to slam the media.

Thanks agin, my friend! 

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 108

In answer to you question. that child is also an undocumented alien, no matter if they brought hism when he or she was hours old.

And yes, there is a pretty good inmigration plan that was passed with a bi partisan approval in the Senate that Boehner never wanted to present to the House, 

I have no ideas as to why now, Congress doesn't take a look at that plan and start from there.
As usual with all Administrations the inmigration issue has always been a football. let's give the ball to the other team.

My own personal opinion of past Administrations is that they were afraid of loosing the Hispanic vote and they needed it to win elections.
I was extremely critical of the Obama Administration on the manner that he tried to deal with the issue of those 64,thousand minors that were simply left at the border.

Most are still here, many in detention centers. That is not the way to deal with the issue. I said it then, and I repeat it now.

They should have sent back all Mexican nationals, and then with all of those that were Central Americans, they should have told those government that they were sending back their nationals. 
Acepting minors without parents was not the best thing for anyone.

We need to deal with this issue in a rational manner, and not in a subjective manner. The inmigration courts are a disaster, and a way of life for many attorneys. 

Yes, court cases are so old, that they remind me of the Death Penalty, it takes years to take effect. And that should have never been like that.

But most Adminsitrations starting with Reagan, Clinton, Bushes, and Obama always thought that the policies of enforcement would make them loose many Hispanic votes. In my view, they have been playing with the lives of these individuals for decades. Now perhaps is the time to fix this issue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 108

rker321--Thanks for that info.  I'm never afraid to say I was wrong.  However, I do wonder if you can answer the following: If a child of illegal aliens was brought here as a child, no green card, no visa, no nothing--what is that child's standing, even if that "child" is now an adult.

With regard to green cards--I do know that these people may be asked to leave if there is police contact.  I was under the impression that after three misdeameners, that person would be asked to leave, but a felony would start up deportation actions would be started immediately.  Am I right?

Still hate brutality of Trump's "Green Police" like round-ups. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 108

I agree with you PC6303.  Obama prioritized convicted criminals, ones convicted of violent or otherwise dangerous crimes, and those who just recently crossed the border (less family disruption).

The Republicans have had as part of their official platform a comprehensive immigration reform plan, but they never once during Obama's terms introduced it.  We need to focus on rational paths to citizenship for those who are here, too.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 108

Illegal aliens or undocumented individuals that come thru the southern border either from Mexico or Central American, do not have any visas that would make them legal at the time of entry. 

Now, when a person comes into the country with a student visa and then disregards the student visa and simply stays in the country becoming an illegal individual, will not be able to have their visas extended.  
The process of anyone that comes to this country as a legal inmigrant is as follows.

They obtain entry with a inmigrant status and provided a green card. at the end of five years in this country as a legal inmigrant, they can at that point apply for citizenship. Yes, it may take a long time between the original entry and the time that they  can become citizens of the US.

Besides there are rules and regulations that they have to go thru in order to obtain legal inmigration entry and eventually citizenship.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 108

Nerdymom--I believe you are absolutely right-no city has to turn over an illegal alien to ICE--in fact, a call often must be made to ICE notifying them that someone is illegally in the country. 

Obama WAS known as the deportation president-that is true.  I think the difference is that he handled deportations with laser like focu,s going after real criminals--not people who may have gotten a parking ticket--something Trump said he's going to do-- yesterday.

I believe that Mr. Obama also was a compassionate president, unlike Trump who really has never shown any compassion about anything--(the only time he shows any emotion is when someone is attacking him--major red flag for a sociopathy.)--and doesn't seem to mind tearing families apart.

Here is what bothers me about deportation of non-violent, non-criminal illegals.  Some of these people came as children and have known no other life.  Even though they may now be adults, how many of you would be willing to go to a country you have never seen, where you have no friends, no family that you know, no job, no home?

Would you be willing to leave all YOU HAVE EVER KNOWN behind? 

Another consideration is that it often takes years to gain citizenship.  Visas expire--again, some have bought homes, have jobs, and have nothing left in the country from which they originally came.  extensions take time--Do you really think it's fair to just round up  these people caught in this situation and throw them out, causing them to lose everything they have??

That is why I am having such problems with Trump's brutal round up of people from other countries, who for whatever reason, are here illegally.  I have no compassion for violent criminals, although my breaks for innocent family members who get caught up in this, but it is clear why these people should be removed.

Sanctuary cites--I have no problem there,  if the people to whom they are providing sanctuary are not violent criminals-(-yes-a person was killed by one illegal who had been lving in a sanctuary city in Cali a year or so ago.  That was horrible, but we can't use it as an excuse to eliminate them, just as one dog bite wouldn't be a sound reason to kill all dogs.) 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 108

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Who cares what "Americans" think about this issue; it's not theirs to address.  If San Francisco, New York and other cities CHOOSE to do so, fine.  I'd be more interested in what the people in those cities think on a city by city basis.

That would indeed be a matter of interest.  It will always be what THEY did, meaningful only as a matter of interest. The individual is absolutely free to choose and absolutely responsible for any and all consequences.  Any choice, including the decision not to make one,  IS an ethical issue,

You didn'tt think how they voted in the 2016 election mattered, or was relevant; why should they care what a rancher in Wyoming or Montana thinks about what they do in their city?

Just saying....

I gave you a kudo for what you said.  I wish you had extended your rationale a bit further.  

That quote goes something like this...."you hypocrite...you will be able to better see the mote in the eye of your brother if you first cast out the beam in your own."  I think I took some liberties with the specific wording, but one trip to Wikipedia today is enough.

"yust sayin' ".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 108

Who cares what "Americans" think about this issue? It's not theirs to address.  If San Francisco, New York and other cities CHOOSE to do so, fine.  I'd be more interested in what the people in those cities think on a city by city basis.

You didn't think how they voted in the 2016 election mattered, or was relevant; why should they care what a rancher in Wyoming or Montana thinks about what they do in their city?

Just saying....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 108

No, I didn't make your point. 

In fact, according to ABC News, President Obama deported more illegal immigrants during his tenure than the sum of all deportations throughout the 20th century.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444999/trump-deportation-policy-obama-legal-illegal-immigratio...

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 108

"....As for Sanctuary cities, I don't understand the concept. Federal Law trumps (no pun intended) state and local laws, so how can a city shelter illegal immigrants from federal law? It doesn't make any sense....".

I live in greater Chicago area. Rahm E, mayor of Chicago, has been very vocal that Chicago will remain a sactuary even if it means the feds will withold some funding for the city.
It means, here, that law enforcement is told, outright, not to be concerned with immigration status. There is no policy/department for the city to try to identify illegals. Chicago also continues to provide all kinds of services without questioning immigration status.

Here is something that just happened yesterday:

"....On Tuesday, public schools in Chicago said immigration officials can't enter buildings without warrants, and offered worried parents some tips in case they were detained.

The new guidelines came from Chicago Public Schools Chief Education Officer Janice Jackson, who told principals to deny federal immigration authorities access to their buildings without a criminal warrant....".

That's the Chicago way. Don't know if it works the same in other cities.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs