Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 58% HAVE POLITICAL VIEWS THEY'RE AFRAID TO SHARE

Message 31 of 41

I think there are many who are truly part of the racist and white supremacist/nationalist Alt-Right but are afraid to say so. Closet racists.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 41

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I disagree somewhat with Jim. Almost every reputable survey backs up what I'm going to say. Most Americans are like me, down the middle. They want to see both parties working with each other to solve problems for America.  We don't want them choosing sides and perceiving the other side as the enemy. This a new phenomena and it's tearing our country apart.

Indeed, outside my lefty circle,most are fiscally conservative and socially progressive. they think there should be health care  ( these wre wealthy folks too ) , dont care about gay marriage, thinka woman has a right to choose, and support TAX BREAKS FOR THE POOR. their main complaint of waste? the pentagon. cronyism. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 41

Most people are conservative on some issues and liberal on others.

Others are just cheerleaders for the party and have no idea what their real opinion is.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

58% HAVE POLITICAL VIEWS THEY'RE AFRAID TO SHARE

Message 34 of 41

I disagree somewhat with Jim. Almost every reputable survey backs up what I'm going to say. Most Americans are like me, down the middle. They want to see both parties working with each other to solve problems for America.  We don't want them choosing sides and perceiving the other side as the enemy. This a new phenomena and it's tearing our country apart.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 41

I believe there are many more conservatives in America today than the democrats think there are...

Remember the polls that said Hillary was going to win by a landslide?

We this is NOT one of those polls or survey.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 41
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute

The Cato Institute is an American libertarian think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was founded as the Charles Koch Foundation in 1974 by Ed Crane, Murray Rothbard, and Charles Koch,[6] chairman of the board and chief executive officer of the conglomerate Koch Industries.[nb
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 41

Snoopy48– I understand what you are saying. When I read the post,  I too thought that if I were a Republican holding the greedy, unethical, views that are totally lacking in compassion for others, I too would be ashamed to admit that I was a Republican. In today’s world, with a racist, sexual predator, lying, treasonous fool in office,  to admit to being a Republican would be a disgrace.

I personally know more than a handful of Republicans who have personally told me that since trump took office, they will not admit to being Republicans because they did not want anyone to think that they in any way support him or his disgusting rhetoric. So, it would appear that the findings just might be true.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 41

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Just goes to show that Democrats are more honest about their opinions than Republicans are. The only reason to censor your political beliefs is because you are ashamed of them.

LOL!

For me it is because I like to work and socialize with people who think for themselves. So I don't evangelize and I generally listen to others' political opinions rather than offering up mine. As a collaborative artist, I learned a long time ago that the studio would be far more productive if we stayed away from subjects like religion and politics.

I call this wisdom.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 41

@jimc91 wrote:

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

The Cato 2017 Free Speech and Tolerance Survey, a new national poll of 2,300 U.S. adults, finds that 71% Americans believe that political correctness has silenced important discussions our society needs to have. The consequences are personal—58% of Americans believe the political climate prevents them from sharing their own political beliefs.

Democrats are unique, however, in that a slim majority (53%) do not feel the need to self-censor. Conversely, strong majorities of Republicans (73%) and independents (58%) say they keep some political beliefs to themselves.

READ MUCH MORE:  https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-71-americans-say-political-correctness-has-silenced-discussions-socie...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Very interesting survey...

Just goes to show that Democrats are more honest about their opinions than Republicans are. The only reason to censor your political beliefs is because you are ashamed of them.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 41

Hm. Welp. Nobody asked me, but I would have said I was too wise rather than scared to share my political opinions.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views