Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
190
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

190 Views
Message 11 of 97

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Republicans would like you to think if YOU have some benefits from your employer, it's all good. Thing is, those benefits have been taken away more often then they've been added, including benefits you paid for all your working life and then get taken away after you retire.

 

The difference between us and the rest of the democracies is NONE of those benefits are REQUIRED - it's all up to the employers. While the rest of the world has 100% coverage for pensions, we have 13% of non-Union workers covered. For paid sick leave, it's 65%, for vacation time it's 79%. ALL of those percentages have been declining for the past 20 years - the pension coverage dropped 50% since 1998 as one example of how firm those benefits are.

 

But what those figures do NOT show is it is the lowest paid who are in the "uncovered" percent - the ones least able to do without are the ones who must do without.

 

Stop letting Republicans keep you worse off than the citizens of every other Democracy. VOTE DEMOCRATIC!


I don't believe your issue is specifically "Party" but rather ideology. The Rs lean more towards Capitalism where the Dems do not. Capitalism and the free market is the way we operate that you appear to not approve of.

 

How would you describe an economy that you like?


The one with the tax code we had prior to 1981 would be fantastic! Biggest change would be the average worker would be earning $90,000 while the average CEO would be making $5,000,000, with similar adjustments for all other levels of Management.

 

Instead of a $21TRILLION debt, it would be under $7Trillion (most of which would be "owed" to our various Retirement Trust Funds and Medicare), our infrastructure would be in A-1 condition and kids could pay for their college with a summer job.


No - your obsession is with how much the government can take from the earners and distribute to others.

 

My question had to do with how you see an ecomony that produces the income to seize. Capitalism does not seem to be your ideal.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
190
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
177
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

177 Views
Message 12 of 97

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

For those seeing "pay check to pay check" as a result of the free market, the following will show it is a societal problem. Bottom line, the problem appears to be "instant gratification".

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2019/01/11/live-paycheck-to-paycheck-government-shutdown/#...


Yep, it's a "societal problem" that good jobs have left the United States and the ones that are left here now pay $15.00 to $17.00 an hour. Earning this kind of wages today makes it impossible for a family to purchase a home, save for retirement, pay for their kids clothes and schooling, eat every day, let alone "have an emergency fund".

 

The "societal problem" is that the average wage hasn't kept up with the cost of living.


Did you happen to notice the incomes of a lot of those "paycheck-to-paycheck"? Considerably more than $15-17.


Darling,  that is the American way. living on credit and overspending has been in the national culture for years. Credit cards should have never been invented.  lol


True - there has been a major cultural change starting with the boomers. There once was a concept of earn it - get it. That was replaced with want it - get it. That created a dual problem. First, people lived beyond their means (and not saving) and second, a significant part of their income went to service their debt - credit cards weren't free.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
177
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
183
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

183 Views
Message 13 of 97

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Republicans would like you to think if YOU have some benefits from your employer, it's all good. Thing is, those benefits have been taken away more often then they've been added, including benefits you paid for all your working life and then get taken away after you retire.

 

The difference between us and the rest of the democracies is NONE of those benefits are REQUIRED - it's all up to the employers. While the rest of the world has 100% coverage for pensions, we have 13% of non-Union workers covered. For paid sick leave, it's 65%, for vacation time it's 79%. ALL of those percentages have been declining for the past 20 years - the pension coverage dropped 50% since 1998 as one example of how firm those benefits are.

 

But what those figures do NOT show is it is the lowest paid who are in the "uncovered" percent - the ones least able to do without are the ones who must do without.

 

Stop letting Republicans keep you worse off than the citizens of every other Democracy. VOTE DEMOCRATIC!


I don't believe your issue is specifically "Party" but rather ideology. The Rs lean more towards Capitalism where the Dems do not. Capitalism and the free market is the way we operate that you appear to not approve of.

 

How would you describe an economy that you like?


The one with the tax code we had prior to 1981 would be fantastic! Biggest change would be the average worker would be earning $90,000 while the average CEO would be making $5,000,000, with similar adjustments for all other levels of Management.

 

Instead of a $21TRILLION debt, it would be under $7Trillion (most of which would be "owed" to our various Retirement Trust Funds and Medicare), our infrastructure would be in A-1 condition and kids could pay for their college with a summer job.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
183
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
180
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

180 Views
Message 14 of 97

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

For those seeing "pay check to pay check" as a result of the free market, the following will show it is a societal problem. Bottom line, the problem appears to be "instant gratification".

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2019/01/11/live-paycheck-to-paycheck-government-shutdown/#...


Yep, it's a "societal problem" that good jobs have left the United States and the ones that are left here now pay $15.00 to $17.00 an hour. Earning this kind of wages today makes it impossible for a family to purchase a home, save for retirement, pay for their kids clothes and schooling, eat every day, let alone "have an emergency fund".

 

The "societal problem" is that the average wage hasn't kept up with the cost of living.


Did you happen to notice the incomes of a lot of those "paycheck-to-paycheck"? Considerably more than $15-17.


Darling,  that is the American way. living on credit and overspending has been in the national culture for years. Credit cards should have never been invented.  lol

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
180
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
183
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

183 Views
Message 15 of 97

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

For those seeing "pay check to pay check" as a result of the free market, the following will show it is a societal problem. Bottom line, the problem appears to be "instant gratification".

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2019/01/11/live-paycheck-to-paycheck-government-shutdown/#...


Yep, it's a "societal problem" that good jobs have left the United States and the ones that are left here now pay $15.00 to $17.00 an hour. Earning this kind of wages today makes it impossible for a family to purchase a home, save for retirement, pay for their kids clothes and schooling, eat every day, let alone "have an emergency fund".

 

The "societal problem" is that the average wage hasn't kept up with the cost of living.


Did you happen to notice the incomes of a lot of those "paycheck-to-paycheck"? Considerably more than $15-17.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
183
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
190
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

190 Views
Message 16 of 97

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@easyed598 wrote:

Rker wrote-We need to understand once and for all that most Americans hve little understanding of what is socialism. and  start by really researching and trying to learn what is  the economic system called solicalism and  how it differs from communism who happen to be a political system.

Till then it is a futile discussion.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Does living in a socialistic country  for 3 years count?Tell me the benefits  of it and then it won`t be a futile discussion when Capitalism is praised for making America great.


You lived in a "socialist" country for 3 years? Which one, and I'll probably be able to answer your question about benefits.


Sorry Scout, that was not me it was easyeyes. that wrote that.  LOL  LOL  LOL

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
190
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
180
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

180 Views
Message 17 of 97

@easyed598 wrote:

Rker wrote-We need to understand once and for all that most Americans hve little understanding of what is socialism. and  start by really researching and trying to learn what is  the economic system called solicalism and  how it differs from communism who happen to be a political system.

Till then it is a futile discussion.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Does living in a socialistic country  for 3 years count?Tell me the benefits  of it and then it won`t be a futile discussion when Capitalism is praised for making America great.


You lived in a "socialist" country for 3 years? Which one, and I'll probably be able to answer your question about benefits.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
180
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
188
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

188 Views
Message 18 of 97

Rker wrote-We need to understand once and for all that most Americans hve little understanding of what is socialism. and  start by really researching and trying to learn what is  the economic system called solicalism and  how it differs from communism who happen to be a political system.

Till then it is a futile discussion.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Does living in a socialistic country  for 3 years count?Tell me the benefits  of it and then it won`t be a futile discussion when Capitalism is praised for making America great.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
188
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
189
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

189 Views
Message 19 of 97

Chasky wrote-Yep, it's a "societal problem" that good jobs have left the United States and the ones that are left here now pay $15.00 to $17.00 an hour. Earning this kind of wages today makes it impossible for a family to purchase a home, save for retirement, pay for their kids clothes and schooling, eat every day, let alone "have an emergency fund".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Not so-The unemployment is under 4% and many jobs are going  begging. BTW-Minimum wage is mostly starting wage .If one plans on living on minimum wage all their life that might be all that  they are worth. Also -keep in mind with all the illegals who are willing  to work for less is it  any wonder many employers are against raising minimum wage.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
189
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
188
Views

Re: 5 myths about Socialism

188 Views
Message 20 of 97

We need to understand once and for all that most Americans hve little understanding of what is socialism. and  start by really researching and trying to learn what is  the economic system called solicalism and  how it differs from communism who happen to be a political system.

Till then it is a futile discussion. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
188
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!


close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors