Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: # 41, George HW Bush has died.

Message 11 of 20

@Soosie wrote:
Melania will have some ridiculous outfit on like she's still Auditioining for a 2050 Cover of Vogue on Mars......@Mick.............At least the muscles in her arms won't be bulging and she walks well in heels.

I'd rather have a First Lady who can go to multiple disadvantaged locations around the Globe - like Africa for example & have some personal point of reference with regard to the suffering of the local population

Melania went to Africa and her Frame of reference based on her Whitehouse Sanctioned Photos was Meryl Streep in Out of Africa - not helpful - most African Woman will never even see another $2300 White Hat worn by Melania in Africa - in fact the Sons & Daughters of the African Woman Melania visited with in Africa are being exploited because of Rich & Famous Woman all over the World needs to Show Off their wealth & affluence with in your face displays like Melanias

NAIROBI, Kenya — A half a world away from the spectacle of Washington, Melania Trump still managed to create one of her own during a Kenyan safari on Friday, riding out into the grassland wearing a crisp white pith helmet — a common symbol of European colonial rule.

But to some — especially those who study African history — her fashion choice in Kenya was still a big error on the global stage: the sight of a first lady wearing something so closely associated with the exploitation of Africans.

Hours before Washington woke up, critics were pointing out how Mrs. Trump — who is here representing a husband widely reported to have disparaged African nations in vulgar terms — had fumbled this segment of her visit. Mrs. Trump is in Africa on a four-nation tour, with plans to visit Egypt this weekend after stops in Ghana, Malawi and Kenya.

Melania in Africa.png

Source - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/world/africa/melania-trump-pith-helmet.html

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20
Melania will have some ridiculous outfit on like she's still Auditioining for a 2050 Cover of Vogue on Mars......@Mick.............At least the muscles in her arms won't be bulging and she walks well in heels.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

Great!

President Trump, first lady Melania Trump to attend Bush funeral

I'm going to start a Petition asking the Bush's to Disinvite Them

They did not attend a funeral for former first lady Barbara Bush earlier this year.

Both of them will obviously try to make it all about themselves

Melania will have some ridiculous outfit on like she's still Auditioining for a 2050 Cover of Vogue on Mars

Source - https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/president-trump-first-lady-melania-trump-attend-bush-fu...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

@gordyfl wrote:

I thought he was a pretty good president. I liked the way he handled the first Iraq War (Kuwait).

I voted for him the first time he ran. Not the second time.

It was the "Read my lips. No new taxes" that prompted me not to vote for him the second time around.

I wasn't opposed to him raising taxes, but it bothered me in 1992 when I was constantly reminded of those words. When he raised taxes, I assumed he had good reason. It was the lying part that bothered me. Technically, he didn't create new taxes, rather he raised existing taxes. 

Years later he explained that it was his campaign advisor who insisted that he use those words.

It cost him the '92 election. Of course, Ross Perot had something to do with it, also.

Maybe I was more more optimistic back then than compared to today. I thought all three candidates were fine - George H. Bush, Bill Clinton and Ross Perot. They all had positive and some negative attributes. I chose Perot that year. I would have been okay with the other two.

George H. Bush:

"And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them, 'Read my lips: no new taxes.'"

The passage was written by leading speechwriter Peggy Noonan, with Jack Kemp having suggested the basic idea.

I still think, overall, he was a good president. 

I Beleive All the Bushes Loved their Country.............................I Believe HW did what he thought was in the Best Interests of the USA - I disagreed with him on most Major Poltical Policies but who couldn't Respect a Dedicated Family Man - well Father at least - who chose the State of Maine for his Downtime - if he had a few flings in his younger years who could blame him although his acquiescence during Iran/Contra really killed the deal for me - I voted for Perot as well

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

Bush was an example of a REAL man....could be hard nosed when necessary and gentle, insightful and empathetic at others.  I'd call him a REAL Republican, not the churlish, Conservative bigots of today.

trump and his troupe of idiots should take note....democracy; not fascism.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

I thought he was a pretty good president. I liked the way he handled the first Iraq War (Kuwait).

I voted for him the first time he ran. Not the second time.

It was the "Read my lips. No new taxes" that prompted me not to vote for him the second time around.

I wasn't opposed to him raising taxes, but it bothered me in 1992 when I was constantly reminded of those words. When he raised taxes, I assumed he had good reason. It was the lying part that bothered me. Technically, he didn't create new taxes, rather he raised existing taxes. 

Years later he explained that it was his campaign advisor who insisted that he use those words.

It cost him the '92 election. Of course, Ross Perot had something to do with it, also.

Maybe I was more more optimistic back then than compared to today. I thought all three candidates were fine - George H. Bush, Bill Clinton and Ross Perot. They all had positive and some negative attributes. I chose Perot that year. I would have been okay with the other two.

George H. Bush:

"And I'm the one who will not raise taxes. My opponent now says he'll raise them as a last resort, or a third resort. But when a politician talks like that, you know that's one resort he'll be checking into. My opponent won't rule out raising taxes. But I will. And the Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say no. And they'll push, and I'll say no, and they'll push again, and I'll say, to them, 'Read my lips: no new taxes.'"

The passage was written by leading speechwriter Peggy Noonan, with Jack Kemp having suggested the basic idea.

I still think, overall, he was a good president. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20

@afisher wrote:

Here is something that the GOP should like about GHWB - he worked to stop from having Reagan impeached.  

True and lets not forget Ollie North - & Poindexter & Weinberger a few others if I remember correctly

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

Here is something that the GOP should like about GHWB - he worked to stop from having Reagan impeached.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

Trump Mocked Bush's 'a thousand points of light,'

"What the - Expletive" - is that?

Has anyone ever figured that one out?" Trump said just last July 2018.

During a July 5 political rally in Montana, Trump attacked Bush, saying, "Thousand points of light, I never quite got that one."

"What the - expleteve - is that?" Trump said.

"Has anyone ever figured that one out? And it was put out by a Republican, wasn't it?

I know one thing, Make America Great Again we understand. Putting America first we understand."

The remarks were met with disdain by those who were close to Bush. Ari Fleischer, who was son George W. Bush's White House press secretary, tweeted at the time,

"This is so uncalled for. Going after a 94-year-old, former President's promotion of volunteerism. I don't mind potus being a fighter. I do mind him being rude."

Source - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trumps-praise-bush-s-thousand-points-light-president-once-mocke...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

# 41, George HW Bush has died.

Message 20 of 20

Headlines around the country:   https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/us/politics/george-hw-bush-dies.html

He was 94.     May he rest in peace.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Replies