On Memorial Day weekend, we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice. AARP also offers resources and news for military veterans and families.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 4 Months Out - Dems Have No Consistent Message/Strategy

Message 41 of 53

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

Sure they have a very consistent message...

Resist and Hate anything TRUMP!

Even if it is good for the country.  

They definitely are FOR something:

For raising the income tax.

For open borders.

For more gun control or elimination of all guns.

For a living Constitution.

For universal healthcare.

For minimum wages raised to $15.

For guaranteed income.

For climate change initiatives.

For cutting military expenses.

For free college.

For "fairness doctrine".

For more liberal justices.

I probably left many items out but that's my list.

Not bad. Maybe you have talked to a liberal lately.

This is a possible but actually we just didn't want the tax cut gift to billionaires. Any sane economist knows that you don't cut revenue when the economy is in flux.

For open borders.

This is a complete lie. NO LIBERAL has ever made that statement.

Well, yeah. Why, do you think blacks are still only 3/5 of a person and women shouldn't be allowed to vote? Are you high?

For guaranteed income.

Works for other civilized nations, even those in which people like you say they're "infested" with those dirty immigrants. Personally, I'm not decided on this. Neither are many other liberals. I have no idea where you get the idea that we think like members of a hive or something.

For free college.

This, of course, would solve most of our economic and social problems immediately. Of course you think it's a bad thing. Also, see my comment above about civilized nations.

For "fairness doctrine".

Funny how "fairness" is a dirty word to righties.

Why not? You're in favor of more conservative justices, aren't you? You mean we're not allowed to have opinions?

All the rest are pretty much absolute. And would also solve a million problems in the U.S. 

Really, you are hilarious.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 53

@jimc91 wrote:

They definitely are FOR something:

For open borders.

For more gun control or elimination of all guns.

For universal healthcare.

For minimum wages raised to $15.

For guaranteed income.

For climate change initiatives.

For cutting military expenses.

For free college.

For "fairness doctrine".

I probably left many items out but that's my list.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 53

@afisher wrote:

Ignoblers are repeating Fox et al memes because they fear what they don't recognize.   All those mid-season elections that Dems won - do the GOP only talk about them in private closets?     Whoever said that March for our lives was paid for by the Parkland students appears not to comprehend that is a blatant lie....albeit they were the face of the March, they did not pay for it.    Words matter.

I could not find a single mention of Parkland Kids paying for the MArch for Our Lives - I said Sponsored and they did............................words do Matter and so does Context

SPONSOR

sponsor

[spon-ser]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun
  1. a person who vouches or is responsible for a person or thing.
  2. a person, firm, organization, etc., that finances and buys the time to broadcast a radio or television program so as to advertise a product, a political party, etc.
  3. a person who makes a pledge or promise on behalf of another.

March for Our Lives

March for Our Lives (sometimes MFOL)[4] was a student-led demonstration in support of tighter gun control that took place on March 24, 2018, in Washington, D.C., with over 800 sibling events throughout the United States and around the world.[5][6][7][8][9]

Student organizers from Never Again MSD planned the march in collaboration with the nonprofit organization Everytown for Gun Safety.[10]

The event followed the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, which was described by many media outlets as a possible tipping point for gun control legislation

Never Again MSD

Never Again MSD is an American student-led political action committee for gun control that advocates for tighter regulations to prevent gun violence.[1] The group, also known by the Twitter hashtags #NeverAgain, and #EnoughIsEnough was formed by a group of twenty Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students in the aftermath of the shooting on February 14, 2018, in which seventeen students and staff members were killed by a former student, who had been armed with an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle.

It started on social media as a movement "for survivors of the Stoneman Douglas Shooting, by survivors of the Stoneman Douglas Shooting" using the hashtag #NeverAgain.[2] A main goal of the group is impacting the 2018 elections.[3]

The group staged protests demanding legislative action to be taken to prevent similar shootings in the future and has vocally condemned U.S. lawmakers who have received political contributions from the National Rifle Association (NRA).[4][5][6][7] It was credited in the Washington Post as winning a "stunning victory" against the NRA in the Florida legislature in March 2018 when both houses voted for various gun control measures.[8] The law increased funding for school security and raised the required age to buy a gun from 18 to 21.[9]

Among the most prominent members are Alfonso Calderon, Sarah Chadwick, Jaclyn Corin, Ryan Deitsch, Emma González, David Hogg, Cameron Kasky, and Alex Wind.[10][11][12] Corin, González, Hogg, Kasky, and Wind were featured on a cover of Time in March 2018.[13]

Everytown for Gun Safety

is an American nonprofit organization which advocates for gun control and against gun violence.[4] Everytown was founded in 2014, combining 'Mayors Against Illegal Guns' and 'Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America'.[5] Everytown for Gun Safety is largely financed by Michael Bloomberg,[6] who also founded the group.[7]

The organization works to "support efforts to educate policy makers, as well the press and the public, about the consequences of gun violence and promote efforts to keep guns out of the hands of criminals."[1] The group has focused on efforts to require universal background checks on firearms purchases.[8][9] The organization also produces research and studies on gun violence.

March for Our Lives

Organizers of the "March For Our Lives" rally in Washington put the early cost estimate for the event at $5 million, and said they have "several million dollars" left to continue to push for stricter gun laws and fight gun violence.

Deena Katz, a Hollywood producer who became involved in the early stages of planning for the march, said fundraising efforts have been successful enough to ensure continued lobbying and other activism. She did not cite a specific amount, saying donations were still being tallied.

"I know we've raised enough that these kids are gonna have several million dollars that they can start their fight after the march," Katz said.

The teenage survivors of last month's shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., were the driving force behind the march in the nation's capital. Similar protests took place in cities around the country, and the world

They put on the highly choreographed event in Washington, attended by hundreds of thousands of people, in just five weeks.

The March For Our Lives funding, according to organizers, came from crowdfunding and other donations — including from household name celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney.

The nonprofit board of the March For Our Lives Action Fund includes political figures and activists. It was formed to help organize the event, manage money and coordinate future lobbying efforts.

Cameron Kasky, a student at Stoneman Douglas, started the crowdfunding campaign that had raised a total of about $3.5 million as of Monday afternoon. More than 40,000 donations had been made to the campaign. The vast majority were in amounts under $1,000. The highest was $50,000.

Half of the funds raised from that campaign will go to paying for the march in Washington; the other half will provide financial support to the victims and families of the Parkland shooting, according to the website.

Some of the biggest contributors to the cause have been celebrities. Clooney and his wife, Amal, pledged $500,000, and Winfrey pledged to match that. Director Steven Spielberg and Hollywood producer Jeffrey Katzenberg also donated half a million dollars each.

The young activists have emphasized that this is still their movement — despite newfound fame and big money contributions. Stoneman Douglas students Kasky and Jaclyn Corin made that point in a Today Show interview last week.

"We don't accept influence. ... The second we let corruption, greed and money get involved with this in the wrong sense, we lose track of where we're going," Kasky said.

"Politicians have tried to endorse us, but we're here to say you guys can support us all you want, but we're in this for ourselves," Corin added. "We don't want to let any adults take over because we're kids that created this whole thing, and we don't want to let adults change that."

Jeri Rhodes, the action fund board treasurer, said the young activists wanted to make sure they were heard, and they got help from "people who have access to a large amount of money" and from "organizations and individuals who had done some pretty sophisticated productions."

"The students told us all what they wanted," Rhodes said, "and people stepped forward."

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 53

Trump likes everything to be about him. If 2018 is all about him, it puts the fight squarely on his turf and he knows he will win. 

I agree with @mickstuder, new leadership needed in the D-party before 2020. The current bunch are more of a drag than anything else. 

For the D's who are able to keep it local, that's probably a good thing. Beto O'Rourke is polling single digits behind Ted Cruz, who gets big money from the Koch Brothers. Beto has run a grass roots campaign with no PAC or special interest money, pretty much the way Bernie did it. Beto has been to every county in Texas, holding town halls  all over the state, and listening to the people he hopes to represent. He's making it about the issues that people care about and his vision for Texas.

Staying away from the current D-party leadership may be their best hope of winning in 2018. There are swing states where Obama might really be helpful to some candidates. Maybe that's why he's been talking to each one individually.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 53

Ignoblers are repeating Fox et al memes because they fear what they don't recognize.   All those mid-season elections that Dems won - do the GOP only talk about them in private closets?     Whoever said that March for our lives was paid for by the Parkland students appears not to comprehend that is a blatant lie....albeit they were the face of the March, they did not pay for it.    Words matter.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 53
Sure they have a very consistent message...
Even if it is good for the country. @ Jim........I don't think I will ever understand how someone thinks the actions of the left will do anything for their Party???? or this country.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 53

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 53

@Richva wrote:

The DNC has been concentrating on grass roots activism.  They have placed 12 paid interns and staffers in our county's Coordinated Campaign office. These people are recruiting volunteers from a Democratic base which is exceptionally engaged and motivated.  We are seeing daily phone banks and canvassing efforts.  We are seeing unprecedented organizing and cooperation between our district officers with training classes and project plans to get out the vote in each precinct. 

I am not sure what the DNC is doing at the national level but all politics is local.

The only activity that counts is on Election Day ................ only 26% of Repulbicans & 26% of Democrats Voted in 2016....................lowest in 20 years......................all you have to do is look at this Forum - Registered AARP Members vs how many participate in these important discussions ....................same few people all the time

BTW where is @nyadrn ?

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 53

The DNC has been concentrating on grass roots activism.  They have placed 12 paid interns and staffers in our county's Coordinated Campaign office. These people are recruiting volunteers from a Democratic base which is exceptionally engaged and motivated.  We are seeing daily phone banks and canvassing efforts.  We are seeing unprecedented organizing and cooperation between our district officers with training classes and project plans to get out the vote in each precinct. 

I am not sure what the DNC is doing at the national level but all politics is local.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 53

@mickstuder wrote:

@PaintItBlack wrote:

I have my personal favorite ticket for 2020 that no one is talking about. Don't know if the Dem Establishment would back it. I agree they're floundering for 2018.

Though I have noted the energy among young people and true progressives in many local elections. I do think 2018 will be energized on a local level -- and the DNC is spending money where they think they can win it based on that local energy.

To me, that's OK. Let local folks figure out what kind of candidates they want, what messages they want to hear, and let the DNC just send money. That's all they're really good for at this point.

I still have big doubts - I went to the March for our Lives in DC - Sponsored in large part by the Parkland Kids - Average age of the participants all around me - 40 and up...................statistics by the Professionals confirmed the same thing - young people go to Concerts and like to be very Active on Social Media - they won;t vote - can;t be bothered

Yeah maybe I'm grasping at straws ... but even 40 is young compared to our leadership (and me, LOL). And my millenial kids and their friends are all very active.

Congrats to you on going to the march -- I went to the women's march with my daughter and while it was inspiring, it was exhausting and kind of scary because of WAY too many people in small spaces and NO security. Now we go to marches locally -- the Saturday march against baby jails was attended by all ages, and that's saying something here in FL! lol

Meanwhile, the Parkland kids are traveling the country signing up new voters -- they were actually in the library next to the march I went to, as it happens.

We have to call them, encourage them to vote. GOTV is our only chance.

Kudos
Views