From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 3% of Americans own 50% of the 265 million guns

Message 61 of 110

NOT , jimc and Epster avoid the common sense question. NOT & jimc instead play cute. BTW thanks jimc , but I'm very familiar with our Laws and the Constitution.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 110

@mandm84wrote:

Epster stated " gun control is like a placebo "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really ? Tell me why any Civilian needs a Short Barreled Assault Rifle loaded with 50 Armor Piercing Rounds  with a Collapsible Stock that can be hidden in a Back Pack ???

Apparently Your (NRA bought and paid for)Republican Party thinks the more Weapons of Mass Destruction , the better !. 

The constitution is not there to "Tell Americans" what they need...  The Constitution provides ALL Americans with certain rights.  The Second Amendment is part of that Constitution.  That same Constitution gives you the right to call our President an idiot with no fear of being placed in a re-education camp.

We are a nation of laws.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 110

@mandm84wrote:

Epster stated " gun control is like a palcebo "

Really ? Tell me why any Civilian needs a Short Barreled Assault Rifle loaded with 50 Armor Piercing Rounds  with a Collapsible Stock that can be hidden in a Back Pack ???

Apparently Your (NRA bought and paid for)Republican Party thinks the more Weapons of Mass Destruction , the better !. 

First of all, let me state that I don't belong to the NRA - BUT I will tell you and any libs willing to LISTEN: the NRA only wants guns in the hands of responsible honest citizens to protect themselves from thugs that have an equal amount of firepower (as well as hunting/target practice).

Ask yourself why the NRA supports Republicans and NOT Democrats and you will soon see the reason why very little money comes from NRA to Dems.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 110

Epster stated " gun control is like a placebo "

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 110

@rk9152wrote:

Beyond that, it seems that school shootings, like any other bad stuff, is the fault of the Reagan tax cuts to you.

@rk9152 Ha hahahahahahaha! Love that line! 10 kudos for it! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 110

Why Americans continue to kid themselves  regarding this issue?  We all know that nothing will be accomplish. and that is a fact.
Next time, we will offer our condolences, our hearts will go out to the parents and we will continue to blame a numberof issues that the Government is unwilling to resolve.

I don't know about any of you. but I am on the camp that condolences  to the parents is a past issue. There is nothing that anyone can say to a parent that looses a child. NOTHING

So let's stop with the worlds, It is time for the actions.
The immediate thing is to banned assault weapons, and then continue with the Background check issue, and the mental issue.  they are all related. but let's see if as citizens of this country we have the power to do something.
Let's not allow our politicians to get away with words. let's make it an issue of not supporting them when they are up for elections.

Unless we spring into action. our words will have no meaning. and please, before you offer your condolences next time. realize or admit what have been our actions in order to stop this madness.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 110

@Olderscout66wrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@Epsterwrote:

My 2 cents: Our problem is that we have far too many emotional babies incapable of dealing like adults with life's ups and downs, twists and turns, let alone someone with opposing points of view. We do not have a gun problem in America. We have an emotional maturity problem in America.

Completely agree!!!  The country is missing the fortitude that our pioneer ancestors had.  This probably isn't a modern day thing since there were incidents even when I was young.  But the participants wasn't coddled with 'poor thing', but toughly.  We have more  cases of PTSD in the military just because the present day generation just can't take it.

I emphatize with the victims and their families, but the instigators are the product of a coddled generation.

Total RW claptrap! Today's young people are NOT "coddled", they're rudely screwed out of the future their parents and grandparents had by laws passed by Republicans and managers who no longer view workers as an asset to their business.

Now we've gone way too far in allowing YOUNG children to rule the roost - deciding what they will eat and wear and where they will go with whoever and having a room parents are not allowed to enter to see what they might be assembling to "surprise" their classmates at Columbine High. Funny thing, a generation ago, high school kids didn't carry out such plans because their behavior was "moderated" by watchful parents from birth until they left home.

that said, the larger problem is hopelessness. The recent shooter in Flordia was kicked out of school for fighting, his mother died some time ago and his father passed a few months ago and he was homeless at 19. Society should have been there for him with hope for his future, but profits and executive compensation are more important these days, so he decided to "even the score" on his own.

I agree that we are lacking in parental influence effecting the behavior of children. But, since there is a call for government action, how does the government get involved.

Beyond that, it seems that school shootings, like any other bad stuff, is the fault of the Reagan tax cuts to you.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 110

@Olderscout66wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  Was it easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  Were even pistols as prolific and readily available back then?

Dream on NOT, machine guns and sawed off shot guns have been illegal since 1934. Here's what wikipedia has to say:

The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) defines a number of categories of regulated firearms. These weapons are collectively known as NFA firearms and include the following:

Machine guns This includes any firearm which can fire more than 1 cartridge per trigger pull. Both continuous fully automatic fire and "burst fire" (e.g., firearms with a 3-round burst feature) are considered machine gun features. The weapon's receiver is by itself considered to be a regulated firearm. A non-machinegun that may be converted to fire more than one shot per trigger pull by ordinary mechanical skills is determined to be "readily convertible", and classed as a machine gun, such as a KG-9 pistol (pre-ban ones are "grandfathered"). Short-barreled rifles (SBRs) This category includes any firearm with a buttstock and either a rifled barrel less than 16" long or an overall length under 26". The overall length is measured with any folding or collapsing stocks in the extended position. The category also includes firearms which came from the factory with a buttstock that was later removed by a third party. Short barreled shotguns (SBSs) This category is defined similarly to SBRs, but with either a smoothbore barrel less than 18" long or a minimum overall length under 26". Silencers This includes any portable device designed to muffle or disguise the report of a portable firearm. This category does not include non-portable devices, such as sound traps used by gunsmiths in their shops which are large and usually bolted to the floor. Destructive Devices (DDs) There are two broad classes of destructive devices:

• Devices such as grenades, bombs, explosive missiles, poison gas weapons, etc.
  • Any firearm with a bore over 0.50 inch except for shotguns or shotgun shells which have been found to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes. (Many firearms with bores over 0.50" inch, such as 10-gauge or 12-gauge shotguns, are exempted from the law because they have been determined to have a "legitimate sporting use".)

You could get some of these weapons AFTER an extensive background check, but none were "readily available" (perhaps back in the 'Holla' youcould get one from ol Jeb, but otherwise you be outta luck)

The year 1986 is significant because the NRAGOP passed laws saying you could buy manhine guns made BEFORE that date, BUT NOT AFTER. So your properly registered and background checked minigun made in 1985 is OK.

Since those "manhine" guns have not been used in these mass murders why are they even being discussed.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 110

@Olderscout66wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Epster made some good points that were, naturally, attacked on a personal level.

Think of this - back when we were kids there were plenty of guns around yet people generally did not go on mass shooting sprees. What changed? Not the guns - our population.

Yes, people today are less able to deal with disappointment and that is not a "Conservative thing". It is a national reality.

Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  Was it easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  Were even pistols as prolific and readily available back then?

Fact is, while the AR-15 was not on the market yet, you could get an M-2 carbine with a banana clip that provided about the same firepower and do it for (if memory serves) around $40, and Lee Harvey Oswald shelled out a whole $12.78 for his mail-order Italian .30cal rifle (plus $7.17 for the telescopic site) that changed history. By the way, REPUBLICANS killed a bill in 1962 that would have BANNED import of weapons like Oswald's.

It wasn't the availability of guns, it was the almost Universal (in America) sense that Today was FANTASTIC and tomorrow it would be much better. The gap between rich and poor shrank every year and both groups were getting richer,  guys in the shop owned vacation homes (fishing shacks, but still...), mothers only worked if they really wanted to and my friends at the "consolidated school" for farm kids brought their shotguns to school and left them in the Principals office so they could go hunting right after class. You could pay for college with a summer job, and virtually every corporation had excellent benefits for employees AND retirees.

Now the Republicans have legislated in support of sending our jobs to the Commies in Asia, driven DOWN the real value of the minimum from $1.15, in 1962 or $9.00/hr in today's dollars to $7.25, and transfered the cost of maintaining all our infrastructure from the very rich to the middle class. Corporations have told retirees "so long, and thanks for the uncompensated overtime" as they move to Brazil along with the Workers Pension Fund. Americans now work LONGER each week then their parents did in the 60's, wait longer for retirement and cannot rely on ANY of the "social safety nets" that were solid as Gibraltar and after all the extra hours, take home LESS in real wages than their parents did.

Add to that the RWNJs like Limbaugh. Breightbart and Infowars that were turned loose when  Reagan killed the Fairness Doctrine that had kept that sort of ranting hate off the air since 1949, and you have a whole generation that EXPECTS to do less well than there parents did, and believes it will only get worse. Now add in the NRAGOPs drive to put military weapons in the hands of as many civilians as possible, and Voila', you've got America Today, where school kids get slaughtered because the NRAGOP makes sure their murderers will always be better armed than the cops.

It's not the guns, its the REPUBLICANS. VOTE DEMOCRATIC as if your life depended on it - it does.

Hatred sputtering again - international economy, Limbaugh, wealth distribution, Brazil, pension funds, Reagan, etc. etc. etc.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 110

@ChasKy53wrote:

No, my questions are not "irrelevant", you just don't want to answer them. My questions don't indicate that I would accept any number of students being killed, so why do you ask? 

Then the mag size doen't matter.

I'm not "OK" with even (1) student being killed, are you?  Would reducing the numbers be a bad thing to you? Why?

Reducing is fine - but is that good enough for you?

I have never "just blamed the president" and I have never "just blamed the NRA",  and have never blamed just both, funny you would say that to me. 

You are not reading very carefully. And there is nothing funny in that.

Extremists are too funny.

No they aren't funny - they are dangerous.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors