Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 3% of Americans own 50% of the 265 million guns

Message 91 of 110

@ChasKy53wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Epster made some good points that were, naturally, attacked on a personal level.

Think of this - back when we were kids there were plenty of guns around yet people generally did not go on mass shooting sprees. What changed? Not the guns - our population.

Yes, people today are less able to deal with disappointment and that is not a "Conservative thing". It is a national reality.

Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  Was it easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  Were even pistols as prolific and readily available back then?

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000499 EndHTML:000085180 StartFragment:000084650 EndFragment:000084994 StartSelection:000084650 EndSelection:000084987 SourceURL:https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ZzqIWr3PBMq8sAWQpojQDw&q=what+year+were+semi+automatic+ri... what year were semi automatic rifles sold in the u.s. - Google Search

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 110

@rk9152wrote:

Epster made some good points that were, naturally, attacked on a personal level.

Think of this - back when we were kids there were plenty of guns around yet people generally did not go on mass shooting sprees. What changed? Not the guns - our population.

Yes, people today are less able to deal with disappointment and that is not a "Conservative thing". It is a national reality.

@rk9152 Thanks for making these points.

@jimc91@ This points to why I don't post here more often. I have taken the step of spam filtering the @replies from those given to posting off-point, nasty, hyperbolic and base comments here. I do this to protect my being from this particular sort of evil. (You are what you take in, sez me.) So, you know, since I refuse to converse with the angry and nasty, and very few are those here both willing and capable of rational, calm discussion of political differences, all I allow myself time for on the Political Forum is to occasionally post my opinion and quickly unsub a thread. Smiley Happy

While I do see this name-calling, personal attacks dynamic as being microcosmic of the national epidemic of emotional immaturity, I don't see things here changing any time soon. That being said, we must factor in the medical truth that those who hold onto anger and who continually post from an ugly, dark place raise their risk of early death*. So there's that.

Off to smell the roses, and wishing you both a terrific day. Smiley Happy

Epster of the happiness tribe

* Lord knows I have made this point subtly, bluntly, publicly, privately. The rest is up to them.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 110

@ChasKy53wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  Was it easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  Were even pistols as prolific and readily available back then?

Like it or not President Obama was the best gun salesman America has ever seen.  

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 110

@rk9152wrote:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 110

@Epsterwrote:

What's stunning to me is that here's something in which I am an under achiever. Who knew? ;p

A thought to all here who compare the current administration to Hitler's regime: isn't it a good thing to have an armed populace? I mean just in case your worst nightmares come true, don't you want citizens capable of warring against tyranny? 

My 2 cents: Our problem is that we have far too many emotional babies incapable of dealing like adults with life's ups and downs, twists and turns, let alone someone with opposing points of view. We do not have a gun problem in America. We have an emotional maturity problem in America.

A word to the wise: calling me names and smearing my character all over the place because of this stated belief will do nothing to change my mind or my future votes. Just sayin. Take your best shot. I'mma gonna be elsewhere living my life to the fullest. Ciao!

I have looked all over and can not find the "100 Kudo" button anywhere!  Thank you for your excellent post on this thread.

My favorite part of your post is:  "Our problem is that we have far too many emotional babies incapable of dealing like adults with life's ups and downs, twists and turns, let alone someone with opposing points of view. We do not have a gun problem in America. We have an emotional maturity problem in America."

I have been saying that for the past year however you have said it much better than me...

Bravo for you @Epster, please post more often.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 110

@Centristsin2010wrote:

The Constitution makes no reference to AR-15's.

.....in either direction.

That is why we have a Judicial Branch to resolve evolving technology based on the original concept.

And how is the distribution of weapons (your topic) figure into anything meaningful?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 110

The Constitution makes no reference to AR-15's.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 110

@phyllisc6781wrote:

I also find it interesting that many of these gun owners fit in to the analysts findings with regard to trump supporters. 

I guess I’m not surprised. 

One who is in favor of Constitutional rights supporting a candidate who promises to support such rights is hardly surprising.

It's like neoMarxist supporting Hillary - you go with the candidate that shares your views.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 110

@Olderscout66wrote:

But it IS a "Conservative thing". GOPers wrote the and enacted laws that made it highly profitable for companies to send our good manufacturing jobs to the asian Commies.

GOPers passed laws forcing workers to be paid less because they cannot form Unions.

GOPers passed laws transfering responsibility for education funding back to the States and cities, who taxed based on STUDENTS not income.

GOPers passed laws allowing those dividing the profits to keep it all for themselves causing wages to sink to levels we had in 1964.

GOPers defeated attempts to increase funding for public schools and attacked teachers so no one who can do anything else is likely to become a teacher, hence the steep decline in test scores and inability of our schools to prepare students for any of our remaining good jobs.

GOPers allowed privatization of education so tens of thousands os students have been bilked out of all their money for cources that will never provide them a job, and even elected one of the biggest fraudsters POTUS.

Because they wrecked the education system by cutting off its funding and attacking teachers, GOPers passed laws allowing foreigners to come to America and take the STEM jobs AT MUCH LOWER WAGES THAN AMERICANS WOULD DEMAND.

GOPers lied us into two never-ending wars so our young people cannot even look for a career in the military that does not involve being placed into deadly combat in a war that will never end.

And now they have the audacity to claim the depressed state of our young people is NOT a "Conservative thing"? bs

If I understand you, we as a society are no longer with standards of behavior because of the Reagan tax cuts, oligarchs, and the ever heinous "GOPers".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 110

Will someone explain to me this unique American phenomenon  regarding guns? I have heard too many times the fear that many have about "the Government" coming and taking their guns. But,

Who is the Government?  Are they saying that the FBI, CIA and any  of those agencies are going to knock on your door and demand your guns?

Who is the "deep State"?     and how would that so called Deep State accomplish any of that?

I cannot understand as to why nobody actually name the only force that could really accomplish what they are so afraid of happening. and that is the Military.

But if we have the Military doing anything like that ,Wouldn't that be a revolution in which the Military takes over the Government?

So, all of you please try to explain this fear to me?

Kudos
Views