AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 3% of Americans own 50% of the 265 million guns

Message 11 of 110

@rker321wrote:

Lack of control, lack of having anyone near that could help him in his grief. whatever it was. It is still a criminal act. and that is what it should not be forgotten.

I have never said that he should not be held responsible for what he has done.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 110

That's because a musket is a musket ! Ridiculous argument ! You sure know how to interpret the 2nd ? Maybe If we " Still " lived in the 18th century.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 110

@Olderscout66wrote:

The notion that we could field an Army by conscripting a population that knew how to shoot and owned their own guns because that's how they lived has made ZERO sense for the last 150 years - last time we employed such a militia was the Civil War, and that was the exeption not the rule.

Of course if you think we should ignore the passage of time and return to slavery and census taking that only counts people of color as 2/3ds of an actual person because THAT'S what the Constitution says, then you must be a Republican.

But of course there is still the clause saying about the right of citizens to bear arms.  It is separate from the militia requirement.

Then as usual you throw in chaff by mentioning slavery which was forbidden by constitutional amendment. 

You've already cast doubt on your post's accuracy by saying the the militias were given firearms, as proven by the Militia Act of 1792

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 110

@mandm84wrote:

Is that your excuse Tex in defending the right to an AR 15 for all and Civilian Mass Murdering ?

What part of the phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" do you not understand?  And what other parts of the Constitution are you allowed to pick and choose to ignore?

And of course you may note that specific individual types of firearms wasn't mentioned, just the right to keep and bare arms. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 110

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@Olderscout66

Where in the Second Amendment does it say that a citizen be required to join a militia and would be issued a gun?  In Colonial times citizens would come together as a militia and bring their own guns for the common defense.

Right up front Tex - it says the amendment is to insure we have a well regulated militia to protect the State. Now days we have a militia by recruiting citizens, and unlike 240 years ago, every such militia is funded to make sure their members are properly armed.

The notion that we could field an Army by conscripting a population that knew how to shoot and owned their own guns because that's how they lived has made ZERO sense for the last 150 years - last time we employed such a militia was the Civil War, and that was the exeption not the rule.

Of course if you think we should ignore the passage of time and return to slavery and census taking that only counts people of color as 2/3ds of an actual person because THAT'S what the Constitution says, then you must be a Republican.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 110

Tex states "the Second Amendment to the Constitution:  A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

---------------------------------------------------

Is that your excuse Tex in defending the right to an AR 15 for all and Civilian Mass Murdering ?

So we can all carry 50 Round Assault Rifles to fight the State's F 15 Fighter Jets and Tanks. Laughable !!!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 110

@Olderscout66

Where in the Second Amendment does it say that a citizen be required to join a militia and would be issued a gun?  In Colonial times citizens would come together as a militia and bring their own guns for the common defense.

With the Militia Acts of 1792 every "free able-bodied white male citizen" between the ages of 18 and 45  was conscripted into a local militia company and  "...shall within six months thereafter, provide himself..." with a musket, bayonet and belt, two spare flints, a cartridge box with 24 bullets, and a knapsack. Men owning rifles were required to provide a powder horn, ¼ pound of gunpowder, 20 rifle balls, a shooting pouch, and a knapsack."  Nothing was issued.

And further, guns have played an important part in the heritage and settling of our country; guns owned by individuals who individually and collectively headed west to do so.  These was individuals who had to rely on themselve for protection and obtaining food by hunting.

The Republicans (GOPERs) had nothing to do with owning firearms but it has been the choice of any citizen to own or not to own them.  And there is nothing wrong with anyone electing to opt in owning firearms.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 110

I should expect any common sense in your response jimc. Shame on me for expecting that !!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 110

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@phyllisc6781wrote:

The shooter was thrown out of his house, lost both parents, had constant police contact, was living in the home of strangers, was thrown out of school, and a poster thinks this is coddling?

The kid's parents had died....he was living with someone who took them in...the moved out to live with a friend's family.

What sort of home was he raised in? His background there might be an indication of why he is what he is today.  A person's upbringing has a lot to do with how a person would act in the face of adversity.  I was aware of his present circumstances.

So, in what way then was he “coddled”?

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 110

@MIsekerwrote:

@phyllisc6781wrote:

I also find it interesting that many of these gun owners fit in to the analysts findings with regard to trump supporters. 

I guess I’m not surprised. 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

yep..white and rural, between myself , son, and grandkids its got to be approaching 30 guns, and not one modern assault rifle, only 2 small pistols. Im willing to bet tho we dont have ammo for most of these guns. Also, they are *put away*. No serious home defence weapons..I dont consider myself a threatened species, a victim of other people, and i HATE what the NRA does. oh yeah..i havent voted for a Republican in almost 25 years. I think stats might also show a large silent contingent of gun owning quiet progressives.

I think you may be right - I've got rifles, shotguns and a pistol, only the pistol (1903 Colt) is semi-auto and I have no difficulty using them in any legal way, hunting, targets, home defense. In my youth, I had an M-1 and M-2, but found I had no use for either, and submit neither does anyone else who's interested in legal activities (and not dumb enough to think they'll need to play "Red Dawn" even with Der Trumper at the wheel)

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22