AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 3% of Americans own 50% of the 265 million guns

Message 81 of 110

I believe that assault firearms were banned some time ago, why was the ban lifted?
I don't think that Americans in the 50-80's   were so enamored of guns the way they are now.

And the hysteria of thinking that the Federal Government was coming to your home and taking your guns away, I believe it started in the Mid 90's and has increased to the level that we see today.

But, now it has reached a level that it needs to stop.
So gun lovers, go immediately to the gun store, buy machine guns, AR15's and anything that school millions of bullets per minute and then, do all a favor by going to your backyard and digging a big hole and bury them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 110

@rk9152wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Epster made some good points that were, naturally, attacked on a personal level.

Think of this - back when we were kids there were plenty of guns around yet people generally did not go on mass shooting sprees. What changed? Not the guns - our population.

Yes, people today are less able to deal with disappointment and that is not a "Conservative thing". It is a national reality.

Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  Was it easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  Were even pistols as prolific and readily available back then?

Irrelevent - are you O.K. with 5-6 students killed but not 17?

There is obviously something very, very different about our society that cannot be overlooked. Just blaming the President or the NRA is quite shallow and petty.

No, my questions are not "irrelevant", you just don't want to answer them. My questions don't indicate that I would accept any number of students being killed, so why do you ask? 

I'm not "OK" with even (1) student being killed, are you?  Would reducing the numbers be a bad thing to you? Why?

I have never "just blamed the president" and I have never "just blamed the NRA",  and have never blamed just both, funny you would say that to me. 

Extremists are too funny.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 110

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Epster made some good points that were, naturally, attacked on a personal level.

Think of this - back when we were kids there were plenty of guns around yet people generally did not go on mass shooting sprees. What changed? Not the guns - our population.

Yes, people today are less able to deal with disappointment and that is not a "Conservative thing". It is a national reality.

Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  Was it as easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  Were even pistols as prolific and readily available back then?

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000499 EndHTML:000085180 StartFragment:000084650 EndFragment:000084994 StartSelection:000084650 EndSelection:000084987 SourceURL:https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ZzqIWr3PBMq8sAWQpojQDw&q=what+year+were+semi+automatic+ri... what year were semi automatic rifles sold in the u.s. - Google Search

Since my specific (3) questions weren't answered I'll ask again:   

Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  (no is the correct answer)

Was it as easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  (no, because they weren't in every gun shop and there weren't even as many gun shops), they weren't in big box stores, they weren't advertised and therefore weren't as popular.

Were pistols as prolific and readily available back then? (no, for many of the same reasons)

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 110

@rk9152wrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

The Constitution makes no reference to AR-15's.

.....in either direction.

That is why we have a Judicial Branch to resolve evolving technology based on the original concept.

And how is the distribution of weapons (your topic) figure into anything meaningful?

For starters, it demolishes the notion that too many people have too many guns for any attempt at regulation to work. It also puts the actual size of the gun owning population in perspective - while a whole lot of folks, me included, own a few guns, most of the guns are in the hands of a very small segment of the population and it seems that tail is wagging the dog on the matter of sane regulation of guns.

So take heart Progressives - you are the majority on the issue of ending America's reign as Gun Murder Capital of the Planet.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 110

@Epsterwrote:

My 2 cents: Our problem is that we have far too many emotional babies incapable of dealing like adults with life's ups and downs, twists and turns, let alone someone with opposing points of view. We do not have a gun problem in America. We have an emotional maturity problem in America.

Completely agree!!!  The country is missing the fortitude that our pioneer ancestors had.  This probably isn't a modern day thing since there were incidents even when I was young.  But the participants wasn't coddled with 'poor thing', but toughly.  We have more  cases of PTSD in the military just because the present day generation just can't take it.

I emphatize with the victims and their families, but the instigators are the product of a coddled generation.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 110

@rker321wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

I understand you, we as a society are no longer with standards of behavior because of the Reagan tax cuts, oligarchs, and the ever heinous "GOPers".

RK   you also must give allowances to extremists that do exist in both Parties.
You are one for the Republican Party (aka Tea Party) and Olderscout is a representative of the Left in the  Democratic Party.

Face it guys, you two. you are both wrong/
Extremists should never  be in power, they are representative of the worse of each Party.

What is extreme about me or the Tea Party?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 110

@ChasKy53wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Were there the same number of guns per person back in the 50's and 60's ?  Was it easy to get weapons that had rapid fire capabilities like an AR-15?  Were even pistols as prolific and readily available back then?

Irrelevent - are you O.K. with 5-6 students killed but not 17?

There is obviously something very, very different about our society that cannot be overlooked. Just blaming the President or the NRA is quite shallow and petty.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 110

@jimc91wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Like it or not President Obama was the best gun salesman America has ever seen.  

No answers for my questions so a reference to Obama instead. Typical extreme right posting.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 110

@rk9152wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

I understand you, we as a society are no longer with standards of behavior because of the Reagan tax cuts, oligarchs, and the ever heinous "GOPers".

RK   you also must give allowances to extremists that do exist in both Parties.
You are one for the Republican Party (aka Tea Party) and Olderscout is a representative of the Left in the  Democratic Party.

Face it guys, you two. you are both wrong/
Extremists should never  be in power, they are representative of the worse of each Party.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 110

@Olderscout66wrote:

But it IS a "Conservative thing". GOPers wrote the and enacted laws that made it highly profitable for companies to send our good manufacturing jobs to the asian Commies.

GOPers passed laws forcing workers to be paid less because they cannot form Unions.

GOPers passed laws transfering responsibility for education funding back to the States and cities, who taxed based on STUDENTS not income.

GOPers passed laws allowing those dividing the profits to keep it all for themselves causing wages to sink to levels we had in 1964.

GOPers defeated attempts to increase funding for public schools and attacked teachers so no one who can do anything else is likely to become a teacher, hence the steep decline in test scores and inability of our schools to prepare students for any of our remaining good jobs.

GOPers allowed privatization of education so tens of thousands os students have been bilked out of all their money for cources that will never provide them a job, and even elected one of the biggest fraudsters POTUS.

Because they wrecked the education system by cutting off its funding and attacking teachers, GOPers passed laws allowing foreigners to come to America and take the STEM jobs AT MUCH LOWER WAGES THAN AMERICANS WOULD DEMAND.

GOPers lied us into two never-ending wars so our young people cannot even look for a career in the military that does not involve being placed into deadly combat in a war that will never end.

And now they have the audacity to claim the depressed state of our young people is NOT a "Conservative thing"? bs

Thanks for this reminder of the action (and also the non-action) by the Republicans on actions.    Reminder, it was the Republicans who continue to refuse to fund any research into guns / gun violence - that purposeful denial is how they continue to spread the manure of the NRA et al.  

Reminder:  it was Donald that signed recent legislation to lower the standards that the mentally ill had to reach in order to buy a gun.     So anyone who wants to try and put the label of "emotional disturbed" on a shooter - should be asked how they voted on the "deregulation" agenda of the current Congress and WH.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors