Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 3% of Americans own 50% of the 265 million guns

Message 101 of 110
On another note, my stepson went to a univ thats *up nawth*. they had a rule forbidding hanging your deer for cleaning on campus.
So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 110

@phyllisc6781wrote:

I also find it interesting that many of these gun owners fit in to the analysts findings with regard to trump supporters. 

I guess I’m not surprised. 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

yep..white and rural, between myself , son, and grandkids its got to be approaching 30 guns, and not one modern assault rifle, only 2 small pistols. Im willing to bet tho we dont have ammo for most of these guns. Also, they are *put away*. No serious home defence weapons..I dont consider myself a threatened species, a victim of other people, and i HATE what the NRA does. oh yeah..i havent voted for a Republican in almost 25 years. I think stats might also show a large silent contingent of gun owning quiet progressives.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 110

I also find it interesting that many of these gun owners fit in to the analysts findings with regard to trump supporters. 

I guess I’m not surprised. 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 110

Think of this - back when we were kids there were plenty of guns around yet people generally did not go on mass shooting sprees. What changed? Not the guns - our population.

Yes, people today are less able to deal with disappointment and that is not a "Conservative thing". It is a national reality.

But it IS a "Conservative thing". GOPers wrote the and enacted laws that made it highly profitable for companies to send our good manufacturing jobs to the asian Commies.

GOPers passed laws forcing workers to be paid less because they cannot form Unions.

GOPers passed laws transfering responsibility for education funding back to the States and cities, who taxed based on STUDENTS not income.

GOPers passed laws allowing those dividing the profits to keep it all for themselves causing wages to sink to levels we had in 1964.

GOPers defeated attempts to increase funding for public schools and attacked teachers so no one who can do anything else is likely to become a teacher, hence the steep decline in test scores and inability of our schools to prepare students for any of our remaining good jobs.

GOPers allowed privatization of education so tens of thousands os students have been bilked out of all their money for cources that will never provide them a job, and even elected one of the biggest fraudsters POTUS.

Because they wrecked the education system by cutting off its funding and attacking teachers, GOPers passed laws allowing foreigners to come to America and take the STEM jobs AT MUCH LOWER WAGES THAN AMERICANS WOULD DEMAND.

GOPers lied us into two never-ending wars so our young people cannot even look for a career in the military that does not involve being placed into deadly combat in a war that will never end.

And now they have the audacity to claim the depressed state of our young people is NOT a "Conservative thing"? bs

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 110

Epster made some good points that were, naturally, attacked on a personal level.

Think of this - back when we were kids there were plenty of guns around yet people generally did not go on mass shooting sprees. What changed? Not the guns - our population.

Yes, people today are less able to deal with disappointment and that is not a "Conservative thing". It is a national reality.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 110

@Epsterwrote:

What's stunning to me is that here's something in which I am an under achiever. Who knew? ;p

A thought to all here who compare the current administration to Hitler's regime: isn't it a good thing to have an armed populace? I mean just in case your worst nightmares come true, don't you want citizens capable of warring against tyranny?  Yeah, I want GI Joe wanna-be's protecting us against the world's finest...  Laughable....

My 2 cents: Our problem is that we have far too many emotional babies incapable of dealing like adults with life's ups and downs, twists and turns, ..... yeah, mass killings are "life's ups and downs to Conservatives....because they aren't able to deal effectively with an issue.  Just look what happened to the "bump stock" legislation.....some grown up can't see the cooruption the NRA play's in our country.  If only free speech and equal rights were given the same attention.....and money.  let alone someone with opposing points of view.  We do not have a gun problem in America. We have an emotional maturity problem in America.  People without much emotional maturity often post their views and run proclaiming, "I've unsubscribed to this topic".  Yeah, no emotional maturity and very little class.....  Who cares?

A word to the wise: calling me names and smearing my character all over the place because of this stated belief will do nothing to change my mind or my future votes. Oh my.....what emotional maturity!  Was your name smeared?  Just sayin. Take your best shot. I'mma gonna be elsewhere living my life to the fullest. Ciao!  ta ta....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 110

Hey scout, considering the topic, how about you add "gun redistribution" to your "wealth redistribution" plans. Although, historically, the form of government you see to long for does not really permit civilians to own guns.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 110

@Epsterwrote:

What's stunning to me is that here's something in which I am an under achiever. Who knew? ;p

A thought to all here who compare the current administration to Hitler's regime: isn't it a good thing to have an armed populace? I mean just in case your worst nightmares come true, don't you want citizens capable of warring against tyranny? If anyone actually believes the gunnuts stand a chance against the US Military, go get some news reels of the two gulf Wars. If you're suggesting a guerrila war would be waged for "liberty" when the only issue for the guerrilas is the right to possess military grade weapons, think again.

My 2 cents: Our problem is that we have far too many emotional babies incapable of dealing like adults with life's ups and downs, twists and turns, let alone someone with opposing points of view. We do not have a gun problem in America. We have an emotional maturity problem in America.If this is true, how will you stop it from killing our children? We have a MILITARY (auto and semi-auto) gun problem in America that permits the slaughter of innocents on a regular basis. Get rid of Republicans and we can solve the problem, and all YOU need do is get your auto and semi-auto WEAPONS CONVETED.

A word to the wise: calling me names and smearing my character all over the place because of this stated belief will do nothing to change my mind or my future votes. Just sayin. Take your best shot. I'mma gonna be elsewhere living my life to the fullest No matter how many children are slaughtered. Good to know - see Republicans will NEVER act to end the slaughter because gunnuts will never vote for a Democrat, and with Gerrymanders, voter suppression and this worship of Death, NRAGOP have what they perceive as an unbeatable base.

PROVE THEM WRONG IN NOVEMBER AND EVERY NOVEMBER HEREAFTER. If you throw them out and fix the problem, they will un-fix it as soon as they get back in.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 110

A thought to all here who compare the current administration to Hitler's regime: isn't it a good thing to have an armed populace? I mean just in case your worst nightmares come true, don't you want citizens capable of warring against tyranny? 

My 2 cents: Our problem is that we have far too many emotional babies incapable of dealing like adults with life's ups and downs, twists and turns, let alone someone with opposing points of view. We do not have a gun problem in America. We have an emotional maturity problem in America.

A word to the wise: calling me names and smearing my character all over the place because of this stated belief will do nothing to change my mind or my future votes. Just sayin. Take your best shot. I'mma gonna be elsewhere living my life to the fullest. Ciao!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

3% of Americans own 50% of the 265 million guns

Message 110 of 110

3% of Americans own half the country's 265 million guns

Despite steep declines in violent crimes, an estimated 70 million firearms were added to American arsenals the past two decades, according to a new landmark study on gun ownership.

Overall, Americans own an estimated 265 million guns – more than one gun for every American adult, according to the study by researchers at Harvard and Northeastern universities. Half of those guns – 133 million – were in the hands of just 3% of American adults, so-called “super owners” who possessed an average of 17 guns each, it showed.

The survey, the most authoritative since a 1994 study posed similar questions to gun owners, is under peer-review for publication in a trade journal. Summaries of the study were released this week to the Guardian and The Trace news outlets.

The findings include:

• An estimated 55 million Americans own guns.
  • The percentage of the U.S. population who own guns decreased slightly from 25% in 1994 to 22% last year.
  • Between 300,000 and 600,000 guns are stolen each year.
  • Gun owners tend to be white, male, conservative, and live in rural areas.
  • 25% of gun owners in America are white or multi-racial, compared with 16% of Hispanics and 14% of African Americans.
  • There are an estimated 111 million handguns nationwide, a 71% increase from the 65 million handguns in 1994.

Researchers found that the top reason people owned guns was for protection from other people, even though the rate of violent crime has dropped significantly the past two decades, said Deborah Azrael, director of research at the Harvard Injury Control Research Center and one of the study's authors.

Azrael said the study tried to update numbers and trends that hadn’t been reviewed in two decades. Separate reports on background checks and gun storage, based on the same survey, are scheduled to be released later this year.

“In a country where 35,000 people a year die by firearms, we haven’t been able to come out with a survey on gun violence for 20 years,” she said. “That’s a real failure of public health and public policy.”

Over the years, Congress has pulled funding from agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to deter in-depth reviews of gun violence, said Daniel Webster, a gun violence researcher at Johns Hopkins University.

The Harvard/Northeastern study is important because it examines the number of guns found in respondents' home and their motivation for owning them, he said. “People’s perception of risk and need to have a gun does not correlate with their actual risk,” Webster said. “That’s the most important thing for us to understand.”

The super owners consisted of an estimated 7.7 million Americans and owned between eight and 140 guns each. Nearly half of gun owners owned just one or two guns. Those owners merit further study to try to bring down the nation’s suicide rate, Azrael said

more at:  3% of Americans own half the country's 265 million guns

3% of Americans own half the country's 265 million guns...now THAT's stunning....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors