Honored Social Butterfly

3 CNN employees resign over retracted story on Russia ties

Three CNN employees resign over retracted story on Russia ties

Thomas Frank, a reporter for “CNN Investigates,” last Thursday appeared to have a compelling exclusive on the story of the year. The Senate Intelligence Committee, reported Frank, was investigating a Russian investment fund — the Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) — “whose chief executive met with a member of President Donald Trump’s transition team four days before Trump’s inauguration.”

That transition team official is Anthony Scaramucci, a Wall Streeter who was expected to take a prominent White House position but did not. Scaramucci met in January with RDIF head Kirill Dmitriev.

The CNN exclusive — which hung from one unnamed source — didn’t take long to wither. Breitbart News’s Matthew Boyle bombed the CNN piece as baseless. Sputnik News published a refutation, indicating that the fund was not a part of Russian state bank Vnesheconombank, as the CNN report had claimed. This detail mattered a great deal, considering that Vnesheconombank was listed in a set of sanctions issued by the U.S. government; RDIF itself, however, is subject to sanctions from the U.S. Treasury Department. According to the CNN report, the Senate Intelligence Committee’s probe into this matter was linked to the meeting between top Trump adviser/son-in-law Jared Kushner and Vnesheconombank CEO Sergey Gorkov dur....

Scaramucci himself chimed in:

It's ok. I did nothing wrong. They like hitting friends of @potus who are loyal advocates on his behalf. https://twitter.com/deplorablehetz/status/877976479560122368 

CNN issued a retraction late on Friday:

An appreciative Scaramucci tweeted:

.@CNN did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted. Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on. https://twitter.com/cnn/status/878460185559400448 

Now for the consequences. CNN announced on Monday afternoon that three network officials are leaving their jobs over the incident: Frank, the reporter on the story; Eric Lichtblau, a recent CNN addition from the New York Times who edited the piece; and Lex Haris, the executive editor of “CNN Investigates.” The moves follow an investigation carried out by CNN executives over the weekend, with the conclusion that longstanding network procedures for publishing stories weren’t properly followed. “There was a significant breakdown in process,” says a CNN source. “There were editorial checks and balances within the organization that weren’t met.”

The official CNN statement: “In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story’s publication.”

Regarding the personnel changes, a CNN source said, “The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.” A compelling wrinkle in the saga of the story springs from the careful language in the editor’s note: “That story did not meet CNN’s editorial standards and has been retracted. Links to the story have been disabled. CNN apologizes to Mr. Scaramucci,” it reads.

CNN is not bailing on all the factual representations in the story, however. “We pulled it down not because we disproved it,” says a CNN source, adding that there was “enough concern” on some factual points that “given the breach in process, we decided to pull it down.”

Is it FAKE NEWS if you admit your mistake and terminate those responsible?  Or is it a sign of a responsible news organization?  IMO, it's the latter.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Recognized Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Caught on a hidden camera, a CNN producer admitted the network’s focus on allegations that Donald Trump’s election campaign colluded with Russia is mostly for ratings, noting his mostly liberal audience wouldn’t have put up with that kind of treatment of former President Obama.

“I think there are a lot of liberal CNN viewers who want to see Trump really get scrutinized,” said CNN producer John Bonifield.

“And I think if we would have behaved that way with President Obama, and scrutinized everything that he was doing with as much scrutiny as we applied to Donald Trump, I think our viewers would have been turned off.

“I think they would have felt like we were attacking him. I think our viewers right now, I’m not saying our viewers are super liberals, I think there’s just a lot of them, and … Trump is good for business right now.”

The comments were caught on an undercover video made by James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas.

http://www.veritaslive.com/06-26-2017/americanpravdacnn.html

I already responded to that about 8 posts down.  How many times are you going to ask the same question hoping for a different answer, or do you simply not bother to read what others have to say?  This wouldn't be the first time that O'Keefe has doctored a video and the CNN producer is a producer about MEDICAL stories and has nothing to do with the Russian probe.  I couldn't help but notice that Huckabee Sanders was referencing this video this morning without verifying whether or not it is true.  Do you consider that "fake news"?

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

Caught on a hidden camera, a CNN producer admitted the network’s focus on allegations that Donald Trump’s election campaign colluded with Russia is mostly for ratings, noting his mostly liberal audience wouldn’t have put up with that kind of treatment of former President Obama.

“I think there are a lot of liberal CNN viewers who want to see Trump really get scrutinized,” said CNN producer John Bonifield.

“And I think if we would have behaved that way with President Obama, and scrutinized everything that he was doing with as much scrutiny as we applied to Donald Trump, I think our viewers would have been turned off.

“I think they would have felt like we were attacking him. I think our viewers right now, I’m not saying our viewers are super liberals, I think there’s just a lot of them, and … Trump is good for business right now.”

The comments were caught on an undercover video made by James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas.

http://www.veritaslive.com/06-26-2017/americanpravdacnn.html

I already responded to that about 8 posts down.  How many times are you going to ask the same question hoping for a different answer, or do you simply not bother to read what others have to say?  This wouldn't be the first time that O'Keefe has doctored a video and the CNN producer is a producer about MEDICAL stories and has nothing to do with the Russian probe.  I couldn't help but notice that Huckabee Sanders was referencing this video this morning without verifying whether or not it is true.  Do you consider that "fake news"?

Huckabee Sanders is just like daddy Huckabee both blatant fakes - liars with not so much as a vestige of a conscience...

44>dolt45

If it were FOX news the article would have never been retracted and the reporters promoted.

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh my...

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos

@jimc91 wrote:

Oh my...

The problem is that  Bonifield is a MEDICAL story producer and is not involved in producing anything about the Russia investigation.   Also, James O Keefe, the person who recorded this, produces secretly recorded undercover audio and video encounters with figures and workers in academic, governmental and social service organizations, purporting to show abusive or allegedly illegal behavior by employees and/or representatives of those organizations. He has received criticism for editing videos to misrepresent their subjects as having said things they did not say.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

Oh my...

The problem is that  Bonifield is a MEDICAL story producer and is not involved in producing anything about the Russia investigation.   Also, James O Keefe, the person who recorded this, produces secretly recorded undercover audio and video encounters with figures and workers in academic, governmental and social service organizations, purporting to show abusive or allegedly illegal behavior by employees and/or representatives of those organizations. He has received criticism for editing videos to misrepresent their subjects as having said things they did not say.

Standard Operating Procedure for the habitually dishonest right wing who, like 'lil donnie, appear to habitually tell more falsehoods than truths...

As we all know, O'Keefe is known world wide for dishonesty editing videos to make them misrepresent what actually occurred and what was actually said...

BTW - Aren't two more RWNJs - Daleiden and Meritt - currently facing felony charges for allegedly doing much as O'Keefe did - but allegedly were more clumsy and criminally dishonest?

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

Lately it seems as though - CNN is attempting to attract Fox Viewers or something and they are definetely trying to cozy up to Trump Inc. so they can get more access to the Whitehouse..............................their daytime stuff with the exception of Tapper is way too Vanilla for me and Cooper @ night is a boring unwatchable dweeb.........................if I wanted a Fox Clone I'd just watch Fox...............................

Watch for Muellers Report way down the road & Especially the FINCEN piece - I think this Story will flush out in the end................................

As Always - Follow the Money - these CNN folks might have been clumsy & sloppy about their reporting....................................but there is a Russian Money Link No Doubt About it - if it involves Trump - it's about the money 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Honored Social Butterfly

Mick-There  must be two CNN's because I'm not seeing this at all.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Funny...

people don't get fired for making a mistake.

That fake news story was intentional and they got caught.  LOL...

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sure jimc and you use " InfoWars and Faux " as your sources. Look in the mirror , my friend !!!

Honored Social Butterfly

jimc91: 

Funny...

I must have missed Sean Hannity resigning for pushing the fake Seth Rich conspiracy because it was intentional and he got caught. Oh wait......he works for Fox.  🙂  🙂  🙂

@jimc91 wrote:

Funny...

If what you said is true, that proves that CNN is NOT "fake news".  Companies let people go for ethics violations all of the time (they also let them go for making too many mistakes).  If a company terminates somebody for violating their ethical standards, that means they ARE ethical, not the other way around.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362--Spot on!  Ethical news sites don't keep unethical people like FOX did with Ailes and O'Reilly, who were only let go due to public pressure--very unethical.  CNN, on the other hand, did the ethical thing and moved quickly--no pressure from outside--none needed-thank God for CNN and other news sites like it who still have an ethical and moral compus. Pretty easy to figure out one would think, but apparently some have trouble with rational thinking after listening to all the crazy from the Repubs and the idiot for the last few years.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png