Honored Social Butterfly

3 CNN employees resign over retracted story on Russia ties

Three CNN employees resign over retracted story on Russia ties

Thomas Frank, a reporter for “CNN Investigates,” last Thursday appeared to have a compelling exclusive on the story of the year. The Senate Intelligence Committee, reported Frank, was investigating a Russian investment fund — the Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) — “whose chief executive met with a member of President Donald Trump’s transition team four days before Trump’s inauguration.”

That transition team official is Anthony Scaramucci, a Wall Streeter who was expected to take a prominent White House position but did not. Scaramucci met in January with RDIF head Kirill Dmitriev.

The CNN exclusive — which hung from one unnamed source — didn’t take long to wither. Breitbart News’s Matthew Boyle bombed the CNN piece as baseless. Sputnik News published a refutation, indicating that the fund was not a part of Russian state bank Vnesheconombank, as the CNN report had claimed. This detail mattered a great deal, considering that Vnesheconombank was listed in a set of sanctions issued by the U.S. government; RDIF itself, however, is subject to sanctions from the U.S. Treasury Department. According to the CNN report, the Senate Intelligence Committee’s probe into this matter was linked to the meeting between top Trump adviser/son-in-law Jared Kushner and Vnesheconombank CEO Sergey Gorkov dur....

Scaramucci himself chimed in:

It's ok. I did nothing wrong. They like hitting friends of @potus who are loyal advocates on his behalf. https://twitter.com/deplorablehetz/status/877976479560122368 

CNN issued a retraction late on Friday:

An appreciative Scaramucci tweeted:

.@CNN did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted. Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on. https://twitter.com/cnn/status/878460185559400448 

Now for the consequences. CNN announced on Monday afternoon that three network officials are leaving their jobs over the incident: Frank, the reporter on the story; Eric Lichtblau, a recent CNN addition from the New York Times who edited the piece; and Lex Haris, the executive editor of “CNN Investigates.” The moves follow an investigation carried out by CNN executives over the weekend, with the conclusion that longstanding network procedures for publishing stories weren’t properly followed. “There was a significant breakdown in process,” says a CNN source. “There were editorial checks and balances within the organization that weren’t met.”

The official CNN statement: “In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story’s publication.”

Regarding the personnel changes, a CNN source said, “The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.” A compelling wrinkle in the saga of the story springs from the careful language in the editor’s note: “That story did not meet CNN’s editorial standards and has been retracted. Links to the story have been disabled. CNN apologizes to Mr. Scaramucci,” it reads.

CNN is not bailing on all the factual representations in the story, however. “We pulled it down not because we disproved it,” says a CNN source, adding that there was “enough concern” on some factual points that “given the breach in process, we decided to pull it down.”

Is it FAKE NEWS if you admit your mistake and terminate those responsible?  Or is it a sign of a responsible news organization?  IMO, it's the latter.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 11.45.57 AM.png

CNN created this mess they are in over the past decade...

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

How is a cartoon by a conservative political cartoonist "proof" of anything.  You stated that CNN "created this mess over the past decade".  Do you have any proof to back that up, or are you simply using other people's opinions?

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

How is a cartoon by a conservative political cartoonist "proof" of anything.  You stated that CNN "created this mess over the past decade".  Do you have any proof to back that up, or are you simply using other people's opinions?

LOL!!!

I share their opinion based on observation.

Too Funny!

Do you consider a network to be "Independent Free Press" that has been caught red handed in colluding with the democrat party to fix a primary election and then "Attempt" (failed) to fix the general election?

Yes, that's funny and sad at the same time.

CNN, aka, Clinton News Network.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos

jimc91 wrote:

sp362 wrote:

LOL!!!

Too Funny!

Do you consider a network to be "Independent Free Press" that has been caught red handed in colluding with the democrat party to fix a primary election and then "Attempt" (failed) to fix the general election?

If you are talking about Brazile, she was forced to resign.  Do you have any other proof, or is your proof simply the opinion of others? 

Also, what did they do to "fix" the general election?  Please be specific.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

LOL!!!

Too Funny!

If you are talking about Brazile, she was forced to resign.  Do you have any other proof, or is your proof simply the opinion of others? 

Sure, but I won't do the research for you.  Just go and read the DNC emails that are currently residing in the Wikileaks database.  There is plenty to see.

It's not likely to change your mind as it appears you like CNN which you are certainly entitled to.

btw, Wikileaks has been 100% accurate for over 10 years.

VIMTSTL

@jimc91 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Sure, but I won't do the research for you.  Just go and read the DNC emails that are currently residing in the Wikileaks database.  There is plenty to see.

It's not likely to change your mind as it appears you like CNN which you are certainly entitled to.

Really, I have done plenty of research to prove my points to you.  Since you are the one who is making allegations, it is UP TO YOU to provide the proof, not me.  The vast majority of the time that somebody uses a "will not look it up for you" argument means they don't have any proof and don't know what they are talking about.

It is how Wikileaks is interpreting their "leaks" that is suspect and little more than opinion masquerading as fact.

I don't care one way or another about CNN, what I object to are people who are so quick to throw away the Constitutional protections of a Free Press.  If you think they are the same level as the National Enquirer, then it should be easy for you to show proof that is the case.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

It is how Wikileaks is interpreting their "leaks" that is suspect and little more than opinion masquerading as fact.

The emails were posted without comment for anyone to read and form their own conclusions.  There was no interpretation.  They were also authenicated in their headers.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Really, I have done plenty of research to prove my points to you.  Since you are the one who is making allegations, it is UP TO YOU to provide the proof, not me.  The vast majority of the time that somebody uses a "will not look it up for you" argument means they don't have any proof and don't know what they are talking about.

I don't care one way or another about CNN, what I object to are people who are so quick to throw away the Constitutional protections of a Free Press.  If you think they are the same level as the National Enquirer, then it should be easy for you to show proof that is the case.

A couple of thoughts:

I have no desire or need to convince you of anything; you believe what you believe, not up to me to even attempt to change it.

Wikileaks database contains the actual emails.  You can read the email chains if you are interested in following conversations between the "Bad Actors" (my description).

Back when Wikileaks released the different batches I spent quite a bit my time reading and forming my own conclusions.

Your above comment:  It is how Wikileaks is interpreting their "leaks" that is suspect and little more than opinion masquerading as fact.

Proves to me you have not researched the actual database but have read things written by people other than the "bad actors"

Consider reading some of the email chains written by the "bad actors" for yourself...  It just may be enlightening...

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

It certainly appears to be having an effect:

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.55.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-28 at 5.56.43 PM.png

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/scoreboard-tuesday-june-27/333768

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

In your dreams....

To a Conservative, the sun rising tomorrow is only because Fox is on.

Btw....

Pew political charts

If you need help in understanding the chart above, let me know, I'll try to help you.

You might notice that CNN has an equal trust/distrust rating by those who consider themselves "mostly Conservative".  Seems like some of your brethern can think for themselves.

Meanwhile, Fox has the lowest "score" in the "mostly trusted" catagory.

It tis what it tis.....

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

In your dreams....

Btw....

Pew political charts

If you need help in understanding the chart above, let me know, I'll try to help you.

You might notice that CNN has an equal trust/distrust rating by those who consider themselves "mostly Conservative".  Seems like some of your brethern can think for themselves.

It tis what it tis.....

Do you have any info that has been printed more recently than something put out using the Gutenberg press? This type of thinking so dynamic...changes by the day/hour. Going back over three years to find a favorable statistic doesn't cut the muster! Surprised the "Tombstone Epitaph" was not listed in your study?

Honored Social Butterfly

@fangoh45 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

In your dreams....

Btw....

Pew political charts

It tis what it tis.....

Do you have any info that has been printed more recently than something put out using the Gutenberg press? Funny in a silly way....

This type of thinking so dynamic...changes by the day/hour. Maybe for individuals but typically not large groups of people.  But, I'll play.  What changes do you think would exist in the findings if it was taken today.

Here's something more current, from Feb. 2017:

http://www.toptenz.net/10-reliable-news-sources.php

Going back over three years to find a favorable statistic doesn't cut the muster! A favorable statistic?  Hardly.  Surprised the "Tombstone Epitaph" was not listed in your study?  Another cute one....you're on a roll today....

Here's one from Dec 2016.....

The online polling firm Morning Consult on Wednesday released the results of its survey about the most and least trusted news sources in America, and the major television networks topped the list as most trustworthy.

ABC had the highest credibility rating of any news source included in the poll, with 67% of people calling it "credible" or "very credible."

CNN, which President-elect Donald Trump often derided as the "Clinton News Network"during his campaign, was ranked in the middle of the pack — below ABC, CBS, and NBC, but above Fox and MSNBC.

The Wall Street Journal was the highest-ranked newspaper on the list.

Here are the results:

Morning Consult news credibility surveyMorning Consult

InfoWars and Breitbart were near the bottom of the list, along with The Onion, a satirical website. Breitbart, which was run by Trump's campaign chair, Steve Bannon, provided staunchly pro-Trump coverage during the campaign. InfoWars, run by Alex Jones, has spread conspiracy theories.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-least-trusted-news-outlets-sources-channel-2016-12

Need more?

Honored Social Butterfly

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 11.03.40 AM.png

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

A useless post, Jim without context.  LOL.  You're a hoot.

Do you know the difference between "Left-center and Liberal"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

LOL yes, they are the same group that predicted Hillary would win by 6 points...

Careful, I think their bias is showing.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

LOL yes, they are the same group that predicted Hillary would win by 6 points...Jim, your head is in the clouds.....you comments have nothing to do with the discussion.  Many surveys had Hillary winning; so did you I bet.  How many POINTS did trump win by?

Careful, I think their bias is showing.  Polls are polls, Jim.  Unfortunately it appears you, like most Conservatives don't understand statistics and polling.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

In your dreams....

Btw....

Pew political charts

It tis what it tis.....

From April 2014?  That's dated.  It would be interesting to see one of these charts dated this week...

The one I posted was current.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

In your dreams....

Btw....

Pew political charts

It tis what it tis.....

From April 2014? Yep. That's dated. Yep. It would be interesting to see one of these charts dated this week...Why yes it would.  I doubt there would be much change, if any.

The one I posted was current. You didn't post one, you posted something completely different.  You'll note it was done before Fox was exposed and after 3 more years of Breitbart lies.  So I agree....it would be interesting to see another Pew poll on the matter.

Honored Social Butterfly

Cent--BAM!!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Unlike Fox, Hannity and Limblah, CNN took the high road; yep, "journalistic standards".  It's not surprising the Conservatives aren't familiar with the concept.

Has Breitbart ever retracted a story?

Honored Social Butterfly

A FREE and INDEPENDENT Press is the foundation of a Democratic Republic. You have certain members of this forum, as well as the Trump Administration, who are trying to sabotage our free press. They are right wing radicals who associate with the alternate right. That's the same party which attacks Jews and supports Donald Trump.

We must always remain diligent in our protection of the First Amendment and an Independent Press.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

A FREE and INDEPENDENT Press is the foundation of a Democratic Republic.  .

I totally agree with your opening sentence.  One very key word being INDEPENDENT.

It is a proven fact that CNN and several other media firms COLLUDED with the Democrat party during the primary and general elections.  That is the opposite of independent!

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.59.40 AM.png

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos

@jimc91 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I totally agree with your opening sentence.  One very key word being INDEPENDENT.

It is a proven fact that CNN and several other media firms COLLUDED with the Democrat party during the primary and general elections.  That is the opposite of independent!

How does your chart "prove" anything about collusion?  Even if we believe Media Research Center (which is highly biased and I would not believe everything they say), how does how many minutes are devoted stories prove anything?  Also, who is deciding how to classify a story?

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

how does how many minutes are devoted stories prove anything?  Also, who is deciding how to classify a story?

Hmmm...  Goes to establish bias.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos

@jimc91 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

how does how many minutes are devoted stories prove anything?  Also, who is deciding how to classify a stor

Hmmm...  Goes to establish bias.

How does that establish bias?  What about the hours of free coverage that CNN and even MSNBC gave to Trump during the Presidential campaigns?

Honored Social Butterfly

Jim  you shoud  be complaining if CNN had done nothing about this issue. You will have to admit that admitting being wrong is the moral path that it should be followed by all.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

BY JONATHAN EASLEY

CNN also recently had to walk back a report authored by its top network talent, including anchor Jake Tapper and political analyst Gloria Borger, stating that former FBI Director James Comey would refute Trump’s claims that he was not the target of an investigation.

In testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Comey confirmed that he told Trump three times that he was not the target of an investigation.

“I think this is the day when the left rues ever coming up with the phrase ‘fake news,’ because now we have the evidence,” Trump adviser Sebastian Gorka said Tuesday on a Breitbart podcast. “We have the consequences of systematic generation of fake news happening at the epicenter of one of the places that was producing the most of it.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CNN is part of the Democrat party...

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.08.17 AM.png

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Caught on a hidden camera, a CNN producer admitted the network’s focus on allegations that Donald Trump’s election campaign colluded with Russia is mostly for ratings, noting his mostly liberal audience wouldn’t have put up with that kind of treatment of former President Obama.

“I think there are a lot of liberal CNN viewers who want to see Trump really get scrutinized,” said CNN producer John Bonifield.

“And I think if we would have behaved that way with President Obama, and scrutinized everything that he was doing with as much scrutiny as we applied to Donald Trump, I think our viewers would have been turned off.

“I think they would have felt like we were attacking him. I think our viewers right now, I’m not saying our viewers are super liberals, I think there’s just a lot of them, and … Trump is good for business right now.”

The comments were caught on an undercover video made by James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas.

http://www.veritaslive.com/06-26-2017/americanpravdacnn.html

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 9.04.55 PM.png

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

jimc-- LMAO--If that's what happens when there is lack of ethics in broadcasting, FOX's hole would have been dug in its first week, filled in before end of the second, and marker placed before the third. OMG--I think hypocritical just hit a new low.

BTW, suppression of the free press is what dictators do.  But, I'm sure that doesn't worry those who will follow trump right into the hole he's soon going into.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png