Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Info Seeker

Re: 123 Killed by Police Already in 2018 - It's Going to be a Long Yr.

Message 121 of 165

You must not be able to read and understand the difference between Unarmed and Unknown.

You can not add the 4 Unknowns to the 5 Unarmed just because the words both start with a U.   

So there are 5 Unarmed NOT 9.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: 109 Killed by Police Already in 2018 - Looks Like it's Going to be a Long Yr.

Message 122 of 165

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

It most certainly does "break it down" to whether they were armed, unarmed, what they were armed with, a most everything that you have questioned.

Either you haven't tried really looking at the data base or for some reason have failed to figure out how to navigate such a simple to use website/data base.

Ok, why don't you total the number who were armed and those who were not.  And give the percentage of the total that were armed versus unarmed.  That would make the database meaningful rather than saying a certain total was killed by police.

Otherwise these type threads come across as saying that sounding like the posters are cop haters.

You were already told how many were unarmed so you know the total and the number of unarmed, the rest is simple math, so why don't you do it? You see, the data base is meaningful, it just takes navigating it and looking at all of the data instead of asking someone else to do it for you. Anyone not looking at the date to base their decisions on instead just accusing others of being cop haters, or saying that the data base puts all police officers in the same box and paints them all badly, have no grounds to stand on.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: 109 Killed by Police Already in 2018 - Looks Like it's Going to be a Long Yr.

Message 123 of 165

ChasKy53 wrote:

It most certainly does "break it down" to whether they were armed, unarmed, what they were armed with, a most everything that you have questioned.

Either you haven't tried really looking at the data base or for some reason have failed to figure out how to navigate such a simple to use website/data base.

Ok, why don't you total the number who were armed and those who were not.  And give the percentage of the total that were armed versus unarmed.  That would make the database meaningful rather than saying a certain total was killed by police.

Otherwise these type threads come across as saying that sounding like the posters are cop haters.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 124 of 165

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Even the database maintained by the Washington Post reflects only totals but doesn't break it down to whether the victim was armed, unarmed, or whether engaged in a crime.  Without this infomation the total is just that.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: 123 Killed by Police Already in 2018 - It's Going to be a Long Yr.

Message 125 of 165

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Guess who brought up "the other" topic. I'd say the person who posted, "Or Sheriffs claiming they love killing people over damaging a squad car to cite another". Although, that may no really be "off topic" - its all about hating cops.

Now back to the issue of "honor" are you going to show where the data offered says that the Sheriff said that he loved killing people - or is the 'scuse me enroute?

Again....TROLLING.  Maybe you should go back to the other topic and whine there....

Meanwhile, the number killed by law enforcement has reached 123 including 9 that were unarmed, 2 with toy guns and countless others that were unnecessary.

As I suspected, you are unable to defend your fraud topic which you interjected into this one.

Hiding behind "TROLLING" simply does not hack it.

Got anythng to post in reference to the 9 unarmed that were killed? Now go ahead, call me a "cop hater" for asking that.

Message 126 of 165

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

I do know that 30 years ago, many of those in our generation heard of someone being killed by the police, heard the police say it was justified, and took that as fact.  .

I'm not sure of what you mean about 'our generation', but I do recall from a discussion of ours some years ago on this forum it seems that yours is more of a younger generation than mine.  So?  You may figure it out some time....

But over the years I don't recall a lot of dialogue nor reports about killings by police being justified or not justified.  Of course not, that's the point.  We were told that they all were justified.

Fact is I don't recall that many killings by law enforcement until your mentioning them here, of course not and again, that's the point. ost had their heads in the sand while the FBI was under-reporting the killings and claiming all victims were "felons"   and most of those are from all over the country rather than localized. And your point is what? This is a huge country and in proportion to the entire country of hundreds of millions the number is minuscue, not discounting the value of a human life.  Actually, you ARE discounting the value of a human life.  How many are unnecessary killings are exceptable to you?

Even at that, a database is just that and has no value unless put into perspective.  That isn't being done here but is being used for sensational purposes. Of course, that's just your opinion.  Many see it for what it is, useful data for folks to assess on their own, to do their own research and get smarter. How many of those killed were unarmed?  Ten so far this year.  But those who are identified as having a gun, doesn't mean they were shooting at anyone.  Phillip Castille had a gun, and a license to carry one.  A panicky cop shot him dead when he reached for his drivers license.  Had a gun, wasn't threatening a cop or anyone else; wasn't brandishing it yet still shot dead in cold blood.  

Even the database maintained by the Washington Post reflects only totals but doesn't break it down to whether the victim was armed, yes it does....apparently you choose not to understand the data base....unarmed,  again, yes it does....apparently you choose not to understand the data base....three years now you've been whining about the database and STILL don't know how it works.  It's a hoot when someone whines about something and are clueless about what they are whining about.....it happens alot with many on the right..... or whether engaged in a crime. The information is there for you to get all the information your heart desires.... Without this infomation the total is just that.  And since the information is there and exists, your conclusion is bogus.

Thanks for playing along....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Re: 123 Killed by Police Already in 2018 - Looks Like it's Going to be a Long Yr.

Message 127 of 165

Olderscout66 wrote:

All those mandatory things for cops would be much less necessary IF we had a mandatory 10-year, no parole no concurrent sentencing for each crime committed while carrying a gun and 5 years for whoever sold the perp his piece.

I would agree with your solution, though it still doesn't address many of the issues with poor police work.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Re: 123 Killed by Police Already in 2018 - Looks Like it's Going to be a Long Yr.

Message 128 of 165

Olderscout66 wrote:

All those mandatory things for cops would be much less necessary IF we had a mandatory 10-year, no parole no concurrent sentencing for each crime committed while carrying a gun and 5 years for whoever sold the perp his piece.

There already is extra penalties for using a gun in committing a crime.  Apparently no deterrence.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 129 of 165

Message 130 of 165

mandm84 wrote:

I feel it's our duty to address the unjustified killings , but do we know how many of the 123 are actually unjustified ?

I would believe that failure to address as to how many of these totals were unjustified is doing an injustice to those honest cops out there.  I have to note that this question is dismissed when asked. If someone is going to post a database like this there is no reason not to put it into perspective.  As it is, it is apparent that the poster is using it to denigrate all law enforcement.