Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 10

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/08/twitter-bots-trolls-australian-bushfires-soci... 

Bots and trolls spread false arson claims in Australian fires ‘disinformation campaign’

Bot and troll accounts are involved in a “disinformation campaign” exaggerating the role of arson in Australia’s bushfire disaster, social media analysis suggests.

The bushfires burning across the nation have been accompanied by repeated suggestions of an arson epidemic or “arson emergency”.

The false claims are, in some cases, used to undermine the link between the current bushfires and the longer, more intense fire seasons brought about by climate change.

Even AARP threads are not safe from this type of propaganda.  A good example would be the disinformed accusation that Muslims are setting fire to Australia and climate change is not happening.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/08/twitter-bots-trolls-australian-bushfires-soci... 

Bots and trolls spread false arson claims in Australian fires ‘disinformation campaign’

Bot and troll accounts are involved in a “disinformation campaign” exaggerating the role of arson in Australia’s bushfire disaster, social media analysis suggests.

The bushfires burning across the nation have been accompanied by repeated suggestions of an arson epidemic or “arson emergency”.

The false claims are, in some cases, used to undermine the link between the current bushfires and the longer, more intense fire seasons brought about by climate change.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Australia: Muslim teen laughs after appearing in court for setting grass fire in Australia

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2020/01/australia-muslim-teen-laughs-after-appearing-in-court-for-setting...

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/islam-group-urges-forest-fire-jihad-20080907-geabxj.html

I guess the "cause" is NOT climate change!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10
MsStretch posted...

Oh look! Even CNN covered it!

==============================================

Good!

You do understand, I hope, that all the forest fires are caused by man or lighting. Yes, the heat will cause dry conditions that will cause the fires to grow.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@KidBoy2 wrote:
. I wonder if that news will be on all the major networks?

Oh look!  Even CNN covered it!

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@KidBoy2 wrote:
MsStretch posted..

24 people arrested? Should be on all the major networks? Why? Did they set Australia on fire?

Are you saying 24 people are one of the major reasons behind the climate change affecting the whole planet? And people who blame "global warming for everything" won't want to hear this? I think it is great news that New South Wales police are cracking down on firestarters, even fining those who toss lit cigarettes or matches.

=========================================================

I would like to know...do you?

Do you have any idea of what one little fire can do?

Do I... what?

Yes, I absolutely do know what one little fire can do, particularly in conditions that are already dry and hot.

But I don't understand where you are coming from.  24 arsonists arrested?  Why would anybody not want to hear this?

Tags (4)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10
MsStretch posted..

24 people arrested? Should be on all the major networks? Why? Did they set Australia on fire?

Are you saying 24 people are one of the major reasons behind the climate change affecting the whole planet? And people who blame "global warming for everything" won't want to hear this? I think it is great news that New South Wales police are cracking down on firestarters, even fining those who toss lit cigarettes or matches.

=========================================================

I would like to know...do you?

Do you have any idea of what one little fire can do?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@KidBoy2 wrote:
24 people have been arrested for intentionally setting brushfires in New South Wales since November

That is news that people that blame global warming for everything they can will not want to hear. I wonder if that news will be on all the major networks?

24 people arrested?  Should be on all the major networks?  Why?   Did they set Australia on fire?

Are you saying 24 people are one of the major reasons behind the climate change affecting the whole planet?  And people who blame "global warming for everything" won't want to hear this?  I think it is great news that New South Wales police are cracking down on firestarters, even fining those who toss lit cigarettes or matches.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10
24 people have been arrested for intentionally setting brushfires in New South Wales since November

That is news that people that blame global warming for everything they can will not want to hear. I wonder if that news will be on all the major networks?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 10 of 10

BY:  Alex Hider

Two dozen people in the Australian state of New South Wales have been charged with starting brushfires in the past two months, the New South Wales Police said in a statement Monday. In addition, the state said had taken legal action against 183 people for brushfire-related charges.

The police announcement comes as Australia deals with devastating wildfires that have killed 24 people, killed hundreds of thousands of animals and have burnt millions of acres of forest.

According to the New South Wales police, 24 people have been arrested for deliberately starting brushfires since Nov. 8 — a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 21 years in prison should the suspect be proven to be "reckless about its spread."

Among those charged with starting brushfires is a 19-year-old volunteer firefighter, who was arrested in November for starting a fire and later returning to put it out. That man was told to "stand down" from volunteering with the Rural Fire Service. He was later charged with seven counts of deliberately setting fires, CNN reports.

Also, the New South Wales Police said Monday that it charged 47 people discarding lit cigarettes or matches on the ground in that same span — a charge that carries a maximum penalty of $5,500 (about $4,000 US) fine.

It's unclear how many, if any, of the fires started by those charged continue to burn.

Australia has been dealing with widespread wildfires since November, and officials fear the problem could spread as the summer progresses. According to at least one current fire map, when overlaid with the map of the U.S., dozens of significant fires are burning in a span that would cover Los Angeles to New York.

Many Australian actors and filmmakers used their time at the Golden Globes Sunday to speak out about the wildfires and plead for policy changes that could prevent such fires in the future.

VIMTSTL
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors